Skip to main content

Religious thinking




“Why have religious sentiments become touchy?” Joe, a young student, asked me.  He looked genuinely concerned.  Of late, he had started asking many such questions.  Probably he asked them at home too because his mother once complained that his English teacher was taking away his religious faith.  When I asked him about that complaint, Joe said, “You make me think.  Is thinking bad, sir?”  I winced.

I told him that religion is much more than a matter of faith for most people.  It’s an identity, a political statement, a power game, and many other such things than what it should be.  Hence it becomes touchy. 

“You said ‘what it should be’.  What should it be actually?  Is it really needed?” Joe asked.

“The need depends on individuals.  If it didn’t serve some meaningful purpose, it wouldn’t have survived thousands of years,” I answered.  Then I went on to tell him what it should be.

Religion should be a faith, an awareness and a consciousness.  Religion is essentially an affirmation of life founded on faith.  It is saying ‘yes’ to life in a comparatively easier way.  Life becomes quite arduous without the crutches of religion. 

“Why don’t you believe then?” Joe butted in.

“Faith is a gift, I think,” I said.  “Psychologist Erik Erikson said that development of basic trust is the first state in the psychosocial growth of a child.  Catholic theologian Hans Kung borrowed that concept to argue that Erikson’s basic trust is the beginning of faith in God.  There are many people who are deprived of that basic trust.”

Joe was not fully satisfied but decided to carry the discussion forward.  “So religion is a faith and should remain that?  Not carry it to other things like politics and identity…”

“You said it!”

“You said it’s also an awareness and a consciousness.”

“Most religious strife comes from ignorance.  Awareness of what one’s religion is – its creeds, myths, doctrines, etc –is essential to internalise the religion.  That internalisation is the consciousness I spoke about.  Once religion is an integral part of the believer’s consciousness, there will be absolutely no question of any conflict with others.  There may be inner conflicts, that’s a different matter.”

“What about the thousands of people who just believe without ever bothering about the awareness and consciousness levels?”

I told him to take the example of Dolly Winthrop in Silas Marner, his supplementary reader.  Hers was faith in its simplest, most naïve form.  Do your part and leave the rest to God – that was her theology.  She was religious, very religious.  She would put the Christogram IHS on her special cakes without knowing what it meant.  Just because it appears in certain things related to the church, IHS is sacred.  Such simple faith has its own consolations and benefits.  People like Dolly are genuinely religious even if they lack the awareness and consciousness I spoke of.  Dolly would never imagine the smallest harm to anyone.  Isn’t that the best religion?

I looked at Arundhati Roy’s The Ministry of Utmost Happiness that was lying on my table.  Joe’s eyes followed.  I opened page 169 and read out:

I saw a man on a bridge about to jump.
I said, ‘Don’t do it!’
He said, ‘Nobody loves me.’
I said, ‘God loves you. Do you believe in God?’
He said, ‘Yes.’
I said, ‘Are you a Muslim or a non-Muslim?’
He said, ‘A Muslim.”
I said, ‘Shia or Sunni?’
He said, ‘Sunni.’
I said, ‘Me too! Deobandi or Barelvi?’
He said, ‘Barelvi.’
I said, ‘Me too! Tanzeehi or Tafkeeri?’
He said, ‘Tanzeehi.’
I said, ‘Me too! Tanzeehi Azmati or Tanzeehi Farhati?’
He said, ‘Tanzeehi Farhati.’
I said, ‘Me too! Tanzeehi Farhati Jamia ul Uloom Ajmer or Tanzeehi Farhati Jamia ul Noor Mewat?’
He said, ‘Tanzeehi Farhati Jamia ul Noor Mewat.’
I said, ‘Die, kafir!’ and I pushed him over.

Joe blinked.  He grinned.  He thanked me and walked away with umpteen questions rising in his mind.  I know his mother won’t be happy.

PS. Dedicated to a student of mine (whose name is not Joe) whose thinking ignites me.


Comments

  1. Recently I saw something funny while scrolling down in Facebook. "Religion is like an underwear. We know you have it. But we don't want to see it in public". All religious strife arises due to expressionism. It will be wise if we leave it as it is. Arundati Roy pointed out the real issue with ease. Religion is forced upon a person, and if he changes he is considered inferior by the society. If it was not for religious violences Indian would have been a superpower long ago. It is not the religion to be practiced by the ideologies imparted by them. Then I think all problems would have a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody agrees that religions teach love. Yet we come across religious violence day in and day out. One of the many paradoxes about human life. It happens mostly because religion is misused by politicians.

      Delete
    2. LOL i am outspoken... glad you did not say, it is like the anal opening everyone has one, and only shit comes out!

      Delete
  2. I knew from the start that you would love that jocular dialogue. Glad that you are enjoying the book. So glad. But if you didn't enjoy, I would not have been disappointed with you. Because I would rather have your reasons to the choices than imposition of my dogmatism.

    People hate cynicism and I wonder why. They are afraid to question their beliefs again and again. Try asking questions, honest questions, cynical questions about your religion and if it still stands its pompous weight then it is a religion tailored for you but still you will not have any right to impose it on others. If you ever feel that right of imposition then you do not remain honest to your questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that dialogue refuses to leave my memory. I have argued time and again about the futility of establishing a theistic nation - Hindu rashtra, for instance - simply because of this divisive nature within man. Even if we create a Hindu rashtra, people will divide themselves according to castes, languages, or something else.

      Is it fear that deters people from questioning their religion? I think it's something else. It may be the urge to keep something sacrosanct beyond the reach of any questioning.

      You are bang on the mark about the imposition thing.

      Delete
  3. :) Liked your writing, I had a Dr.Bhaskar Rao who taught me to ask questions. Thanks to you quote I will actually open read the Arundathi Roy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's education system is no better than the earlier one. If questioning was forbidden earlier, students don't want to question now.

      All the best with Roy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Levin the good shepherd

AI-generated image The lost sheep and its redeemer form a pet motif in Christianity. Jesus portrayed himself as a good shepherd many times. He said that the good shepherd will leave his 99 sheep in order to bring the lost sheep back to the fold. When he finds the lost sheep, the shepherd is happier about that one sheep than about the 99, Jesus claimed. He was speaking metaphorically. The lost sheep is the sinner in Jesus’ parable. Sin is a departure from the ‘right’ way. Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10]. A lot of Catholic priests I know carry some sort of a Redeemer complex in their souls. They love the sinner so much that they cannot rest until they make the angels of God run for their cups of joy. I have also been fortunate to have one such priest-friend whom I shall call Levin in this post. He has befriended me right from the year 1976 when I was a blundering adolescent and he was just one year older than me. He possesse

Nakulan the Outcast

Nakulan was one of the many tenants of Hevendrea . A professor in the botany department of the North Eastern Hill University, he was a very lovable person. Some sense of inferiority complex that came from his caste status made him scoff the very idea of his lovability. He lived with his wife and three children in one of Heavendrea’s many cottages. When he wanted to have a drink, he would walk over to my hut. We sipped our whiskies and discussed Shillong’s intriguing politics or something of the sort while my cassette player crooned gently in the background. Nakulan was more than ten years my senior by age. He taught a subject which had never aroused my interest at any stage of my life. It made no difference to me whether a leaf was pinnately compound or palmately compound. You don’t need to know about anther and stigma in order to understand a flower. My friend Levin would have ascribed my lack of interest in Nakulan’s subject to my egomania. I always thought that Nakulan lived