Skip to main content

Wrong Lane

 

My own lane

It took me a while to realise that I was in the wrong lane and fatally so. All the headlights were rushing straight into my eyes and one of the drivers shouted an expletive too. It was sometime in the 1990s. I was on my Yamaha 100cc, returning home after a visit to an acquaintance who lived on one of the many remote cliffs of the little hill town of Shillong. The acquaintance had directed me on a shortcut. Shortcuts abound in the hills. And the shortcuts on the hills can be particularly tricky. It was thus that I emerged from the shortcut on the wrong side of the highway in Laitumkhrah.

Those were days when my life was running downhill with greater acceleration than the usual free falls have. Later on I wondered time and again about what would have happened had I been killed that evening. Nothing. People would have come to the natural conclusion that a drunken man was driving madly on the wrong side. A natural end to an aberration.

Frankly, I don’t know whether an end like that would have been better than what followed. I endured a lot of misery in that wretched place where I always seemed fated to be on a wrong lane, however much I tried to understand the tricky natures of mountain paths. It took me years to realise that I didn’t belong in the mountains. It was a protracted agony without the consolation of any intermittent ecstasies. And I ran away in the end.

Delhi’s lanes were all clearly demarcated with dividers built in concrete. That is where I ended up after running away from the mountains of Shillong. I seemed to belong there. At least, I learnt quickly how to navigate Delhi’s lanes and even by-lanes. Delhi has a system and I like systems in spite of the quintessential rebel within me.

Dennie never worries about lanes

Let me hasten to add that it wasn’t all about metropolitan systems and mountainous mystique. Wherever you are, whether it is a swarming city or a simpering mountain, you need to learn the place’s ways (pun intended). My mistake, a grievous one too, in Shillong was that I refused to learn its ways by placing me above the place. Narcissists are doomed to despicable failure unless they usurp autocratic powers.

Shillong taught me a lot of lessons anyway before it ejected me as gracefully as it could. Those lessons came in handy while I breathed in the air of the most polluted city in the world. I took all the caution that a beaten narcissist would take while navigating the endless crossroads of Connaught Place and the mesmerising traffic circles of Lutyens’ Delhi. I had already internalised the diminutiveness of my ego which, I had learnt, did not require much space among two trillion galaxies with their hundreds of billions of stars each. I had learnt how to keep that precious little ego of mine on the right lane of Delhi’s hectic traffic.

Now I live in a small village in Kerala almost like a recluse. Recluses have little to do with lanes.

Brownie is my own Godi Media


PS. Written for Indispire Edition 384: If everything is coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane. #WrongLane

Comments

  1. The thought of being a recluse is so inviting. I am troubled by chaos and I need order and routines to stay sane.

    Beautifully-written post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have reached an age when retirement makes sense. You may be better off exploring alternative ways...

      Delete
    2. @satabdi, time to connect with me.

      Delete
  2. As always a beautifully penned post! As you rightly said, every place has it's own way and to abide by it is the way to survive. Well,the recluse in the discussion has been building his own path and lanes. More power to your pen and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, I can always console myself with the realisation that I beat a lot of new tracks, what if some of them were too wild!

      Delete
  3. Very deep thoughts expressed in lucid style !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think Eric Weiner has influenced my style here.

      Delete
    2. Simplifying Weiner for laymen like me is an art!

      Delete
  4. Life has it's challenges everywhere, even in solitude. And every city rightly has it's own ways, as is quite evident in my city Kolkata. The city hardly follows any system, and still Kolkatans romanticize the chaos :) Maybe that's how we are. Nicely written post, your's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've experienced the chaos of Kolkata though for very brief periods. I'd have found it difficult to survive in a place like that. But then, as you've said, every place has its own challenges...

      Delete
  5. Hari OM
    It is well known that no matter where we run to or hide, be it urban jungle or the actual, the desert or the mountains... unless we have dealt with who we are, we will always be 'fighting the traffic.' Finding the correct lane means having to take a wrong turn or two and learning to properly read the map... or, if we rejected them, accepting that maybe the maps serve a purpose after all and that going 'off road' comes with hazards!

    So glad to see another fine post - and such endearing photographs! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can't run away from ourselves. Precisely. The Irony in my case was that I'd learnt the necessary lessons before i quit Shillong but the people there wouldn't accept that... Delhi had no time to bother itself with others' problems.

      Delete
    2. Good afternoon Tomichan I'm unable to post a comment, hence this reply. Loved reading. sometimes people like you and me, learn the rules so that we can break it.
      Take care.

      Delete
    3. 😅😅 Love that. Yes, even as a senior citizen i love to get on to the wrong lane sometimes. But few people like you will know that it's ok and needed too.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful post with an apt title. Every place or country has its advantages and disadvantages. Looking at the positives is the key to happiness. Not to mention, Brownie and Dennie are adorable.













































































































    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brownie and Dennie have one more sibling, Dessy. She's a bit reserved. Difficult to get her for pics.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Nakulan the Outcast

Nakulan was one of the many tenants of Hevendrea . A professor in the botany department of the North Eastern Hill University, he was a very lovable person. Some sense of inferiority complex that came from his caste status made him scoff the very idea of his lovability. He lived with his wife and three children in one of Heavendrea’s many cottages. When he wanted to have a drink, he would walk over to my hut. We sipped our whiskies and discussed Shillong’s intriguing politics or something of the sort while my cassette player crooned gently in the background. Nakulan was more than ten years my senior by age. He taught a subject which had never aroused my interest at any stage of my life. It made no difference to me whether a leaf was pinnately compound or palmately compound. You don’t need to know about anther and stigma in order to understand a flower. My friend Levin would have ascribed my lack of interest in Nakulan’s subject to my egomania. I always thought that Nakulan lived