Skip to main content

Stains on Greatness

 


One of the most interesting articles I read yesterday is from a Malayalam monthly, Bhashaposhini. The article is a glorious tribute to a Malayalam writer named V B C Nair. What I loved about the article are the profound insights it gives into the lives of some great writers of Kerala. When we read the works of these writers, we admire them. We admire the stories they weave, the characters they etch into our memories, the themes they leave us thinking about, and so on. We would imagine these writers as superhuman entities living beyond the normal human follies and foibles that punctuate the lives of silly people like me and the guy next door. This Bhashaposhini article reveals – rather unwittingly, I feel –the very human side of some great Malayalam writers.

Let me take only one example. The motive is not to highlight the dark side of this eminent personality. I have been fascinated by a thought that recurs these days to me like a motif in a novel. The great writers know so much about life and people that they appear like deities who hover above the rank and file. Do they make the same kind of mistakes that I make? Is their greatness stained by normal human imperfections that would appear silly to an onlooker?

Out of the many that appear in the article, I would like to take the example of the bilingual writer Kamala Das who wrote in Malayalam under the name of Madhavikutty and ended her life with a fourth name, Kamala Suraiyya. Fourth, did I say? Yeah, she had another name among people who were close to her: Aami. Too many names are a not-so-subtle indication of an identity problem, I said to my students a few weeks back while introducing a prescribed poem by Kamala Das to them. The above-mentioned article reveals a more obvious part of the poet’s clay feet.

Kamala Das was in a Mumbai hospital facing a serious medical problem. The editor of a prominent Malayalam magazine, S K Nair, rushed to Mumbai with monetary assistance as soon as he came to know from another writer about Kamala’s situation. The surgery was conducted and Kamala recovered. When she was healthy enough, she decided to visit S K Nair in his office. Nair made elaborate arrangements to welcome her. She was highly impressed by the royal hospitality rendered to her. “What can I do in return for all the favours showered on me?” She asked. “Enrich Malayalanadu with words,” Nair replied. Malayalanadu was the name of his magazine.

Kamala Das agreed readily. Soon after she returned to Mumbai, Nair received the first chapter of her autobiography, My Story. The autobiography was serialised in Nair’s magazine and it became an instant hit. It was an exceptionally bold writing from a woman in those days. No one would imagine a Malayali young woman from an orthodox family to write openly about her extramarital affairs and her raging sexual libido. Kerala was not ready yet for that sort of unorthodoxy and candour. The serialisation of the autobiography had to be stopped. 

Some time after that the magazine started serialising a novel titled Bhranth [Insanity] written by Pamman. Kamala Das (Madhavikutty) identified herself with the protagonist, Ammukutty, and demanded withdrawal of the novel altogether. In spite of a legal notice and many angry letters from Kamala Das, the novel continued to reach the readers of Malayalanadu just because Ammukutty was not Madhavikutty.

Then one day Kamala Das appeared personally at the office of the magazine along with her son, M D Nalapat who eventually became a famous journalist. She created a ruckus. She showered the choicest abuses on Nair. Not contented with all that, on walking out she picked up a fistful of sand from the courtyard and flung it at the office uttering a fiendish curse on it and the people who worked there. A curse on the man who rushed financial help to her when she lay helplessly in a hospital in a distant city!

I was stunned when I read about that curse part. I could accept all the rest, the anger and the abuses. But curse? That too, curse the very man who rushed with help when you needed it most though he didn’t even know you personally!

Kamala Das became Kamala Suraiyya

Well, writers aren’t as godly as I imagined them to be. They are very ordinary people with some extraordinary gifts. So are other great people. Every Einstein has his own very ordinary human side, too human in fact. Even the saint has his share of dark hues.

Let me end this on an optimistic note. [These days I’m making an extra effort to look at the brighter shades of life.] Another great personality mentioned in the same article cited above is P N Menon, Malayalam film director. S K Nair wanted to produce a movie. Menon was counselled not to accept the drinks offered by Nair during the discussion because Menon had a Mr Hyde in his psyche who would overpower the Dr Jekyll when he drank. The discussion started. As usual, Nair offered drinks. Nair and Vayalar (famous Malayalam poet) had whisky while the third glass remained empty as Menon refused to drink. But Menon couldn’t hold himself for too long. After about ten or fifteen minutes, Menon grabbed the whisky bottle, poured himself a large drink, gulped it down, then another, yet again, and then blurted out shocking expletives which suggested that he had painful inferiority complexes lying dormant below the self-assured exterior. He staggered out refusing to collaborate with the film direction.

When he came to his senses the next morning, he was oppressed by guilt-feelings. He had thrown away an exceptionally good opportunity. But then comes the pleasant twist in the tale. Nair sent a car to call Menon once again. Suppressing his shame, Menon went to Nair and apologised to him. “You’re the kind of director I was looking for,” Nair said with a grin. And Menon smiled. A deep friendship was born then and there. The movie that they made, Chemparathy (1972), became a superhit in Kerala.

 

 

Comments

  1. We all have clay feet, don't we? The problem is we can not often disassociate the art from the artist. Art is a form of the artist in a particular state of mind. One that does not stay forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have. But we have the tendency to place great people on tall pedestals. And then be disillusioned. I belong to that category. Now I'm wiser.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Most interesting people hold many facets to their nature. I was born with a sceptic's view of human nature, with a need to dig deeper and peek behind their masks. If I revere anyone, it is because they have truly earned it in my eyes. That said, I can greatly enjoy the art/writing/whatever-feat of someone even - or indeed perhaps because - they are no greater a human than oneself. Knowing the shades of a personality can bring a different colour to their work for the viewer. This is perhaps what Nair appreciated in Menon... and going back to the poetry of Kamala/Aami/Madhavikutty, do you read it differently, gain something else from it, having learned what you have about her? YAM xx

    (ps - hope you look back for response re your question over at My Take!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this response.
      1. Interesting people have many dimensions to their personality.
      2. Some of these dimensions are masks.
      3. The gap between the art and the artist.

      Best of all, I'm blessed to have you in this space. You help me to sharpen my thinking.

      Delete
    2. _()_

      ...and I see you will peek at 'menoculayshunal'... I realised the listing is long, so I need to form an index, as much for myself as any reader dropping in late!!! Yxx

      Delete
    3. An index will be great. Do go ahead with that.

      Delete
    4. Hari Om
      Index is made! Thanks for being the catalyst for that... (sorry to put here - couldn't find email contact for you.) YAM xx

      Delete
  3. The information about Kamala Das was surprising. A person who has the guts to reveal all in an autobiography would be upset by a fictionalized serial allegedly on her life?

    After the release of Chembarathy and its success, Menon is said to have told to an audience from the stage where Prem Nazeer was present that the oldies shpuld quit acting and give opportunity to youngsters like the ones he had introduced. Nazeer, who normally doesn't get agitated in his speech responded saying he would act with a grey mustache so long as his fans wished to see him on screen.

    Perhaps because of his temperament, the otherwise talented Menon could not make it big such as directors like Bharatan who eschewed the typical 100% commercial format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shocking more than surprising. But then poets are volatile people.

      Menon is an example of how one's temperament can destroy one.

      Delete
  4. I've come to this post late for the blog but perfectly timed for when I was supposed to read these words. I have admired Kamala Das's writing without knowing anything about her life. I'm tempted to read some of her work again in light of this post--but I have a feeling I'll be even more impressed.
    To see her with her flaws and fierceness as a human makes her writing even more enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das went through a lot of personal struggles and her writings reflect them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Levin the good shepherd

AI-generated image The lost sheep and its redeemer form a pet motif in Christianity. Jesus portrayed himself as a good shepherd many times. He said that the good shepherd will leave his 99 sheep in order to bring the lost sheep back to the fold. When he finds the lost sheep, the shepherd is happier about that one sheep than about the 99, Jesus claimed. He was speaking metaphorically. The lost sheep is the sinner in Jesus’ parable. Sin is a departure from the ‘right’ way. Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10]. A lot of Catholic priests I know carry some sort of a Redeemer complex in their souls. They love the sinner so much that they cannot rest until they make the angels of God run for their cups of joy. I have also been fortunate to have one such priest-friend whom I shall call Levin in this post. He has befriended me right from the year 1976 when I was a blundering adolescent and he was just one year older than me. He possesse

Nakulan the Outcast

Nakulan was one of the many tenants of Hevendrea . A professor in the botany department of the North Eastern Hill University, he was a very lovable person. Some sense of inferiority complex that came from his caste status made him scoff the very idea of his lovability. He lived with his wife and three children in one of Heavendrea’s many cottages. When he wanted to have a drink, he would walk over to my hut. We sipped our whiskies and discussed Shillong’s intriguing politics or something of the sort while my cassette player crooned gently in the background. Nakulan was more than ten years my senior by age. He taught a subject which had never aroused my interest at any stage of my life. It made no difference to me whether a leaf was pinnately compound or palmately compound. You don’t need to know about anther and stigma in order to understand a flower. My friend Levin would have ascribed my lack of interest in Nakulan’s subject to my egomania. I always thought that Nakulan lived

Octavian the Guru

Octavian was one of my students in college. Being a student of English literature, he had reasons to establish a personal rapport with me. It took me months to realise that the rapport was fake. He was playing a role for the sake of Rev Machiavelli . Octavian was about 20 years old and I was nearly double his age. Yet he could deceive me too easily. The plain truth is that anyone can deceive me as easily even today. I haven’t learnt certain basic lessons of life. Sheer inability. Some people are like that. Levin would say that my egomania and the concomitant hubris prevented my learning of the essential lessons of life. That would have been true in those days when Octavian took me for a farcical ride. By the time that ride was over, I had learnt at least one thing: that my ego was pulped. More than 20 years have passed after that and I haven’t still learnt to manage affairs in the world of people. That’s why I admit my sheer inability to learn some fundamental lessons of life. Th