Skip to main content

Umbrella



The umbrella is your inevitable appendix if you live in Kerala. It used to hang on my shoulder as I trekked to school in my childhood. There were no folding umbrellas or pocket umbrellas in those days. My umbrella like most people’s was a half-metre long canopy with a ferrule that jutted out so that you could use the whole thing as a walking stick when it did not rain. The men’s umbrella had a curved handle which enabled you to suspend it on your shoulder if you didn’t want the walking stick. The rains lashed Kerala for nearly half the year in those days and hence the umbrella was a loyal friend and as cumbersome too.

The fidelity of the umbrella continued when I left the state to take up my first job in Shillong as a teacher. Shillong too had quite a lot of rains in those days with its proximity to Cherrapunji. Eventually, however, the rains in Shillong became as flighty and coquettish as the place itself and Cherrapunji lost its designation as the place of heaviest rainfall to Mawsynram.

Shillong gave me the Umbrella Man who became a perennial presence in my life there.

I read the short story, ‘Umbrella Man,’ in one of the lessons of the creative writing course of IGNOU. The protagonist of that story is hit by an umbrella on the back of his head as he sits in a bus. He thinks it happened by mistake. But the hit is repeated. He warns the fellow on the back seat, who is the Umbrella Man, not to do that but to no avail. Finally he gets up and gives a punch on the Umbrella Man’s nose which starts bleeding. But the knocks continue at regular intervals. Finally the protagonist alights near the police station in order to file a complaint. The Umbrella Man walks close behind him awarding the knocks on his head religiously. When they are about to enter the police station, the protagonist thinks that he might become the culprit since it is the other fellow’s nose that is bleeding. Hence he chooses to be worldly wise and retraces his steps. The Umbrella Man follows him home and enters inside even before the door could be shut. The knocks on the head continue wherever the protagonist goes, whatever he may be doing. Days give way to weeks and months. Eventually the protagonist gets used to the Umbrella Man’s knocks. He falls in love with them. He cannot now live without them.

A few years after I read that story, I got an Umbrella Man in Shillong. A Catholic priest incarnated as the Umbrella Man in my life though he was as invisible as his God and as irascible too. The frequency and intensity of his knocks depended on how he judged my actions. The Christian God is a terrible jurist, if you know Him, and I must confess that I gave Him ample occasions to wield his canonical umbrella on my sinful head.

Unlike the protagonist in the story, I got tired of the knocks after a few years. That’s when I quit and landed in Delhi where umbrellas had little role. Delhi is a desert as far as the scientific measures of rainfall are concerned. However, I did buy an umbrella. Nostalgia is as soothing as the scratch you give to the healing wound.

The umbrella I bought years ago from Delhi continues to be my companion even now when I’m in Kerala once again completing the circle of my travels and travails. The umbrella lies in the little box near the gear shaft in my car ready for any eventuality during a journey. Though it is seldom used, its very sight fills me with a gratification that Freud would associate with my dark unconscious demons.

The umbrella makes me happy. Strangely.



Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

Comments

  1. True, Kerala and the Umbrella just cannot be separated from each other. The innovative ideas the umbrella-makers in the state come up with every year, is amazing. And those umbrellas designed for the southwest monsoon are also known for their quality, aren't they?
    Nice to learn about the Umbrella man. Interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The innovative approach of the umbrella manufacturers i Kerala is indeed amazing.

      The Umbrella Man is a story that's open to multiple interpretations.

      Delete
    2. In mumbai the umbrella is a constant companion to me and many mumbaikars. In rains it used to keep oneself dry and in other seasons a shield against the abundant Sun.

      Delete
    3. The umbrella has its prgamatic sides too 😏

      Delete
  2. Well, there are the beautiful ones too, that see the light of the day only in summers unlike the big umbrellas that take the trouble with the rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, umbrellas are works of art now, exquisite ones too.

      Delete
  3. In Delhi you could have used your umbrella to get protection from sun. Nice post. Enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was staying on the campus and so there was no need of an umbrella even on a rainy day.

      Glad you liked this.

      Delete
  4. Nice narration of perpetual friend..-:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story of Umbrella man is interesting, its an wonderful read on Umbrella. Sometime such umbrella men visit our lives and except avoiding you have no other way left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all live under that umbrella, alas. The umbrella may be called BJP or whatever .

      Delete
  6. Umbrella, actually covers an umbrella of meaning

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts