Skip to main content

Illusions

Fiction

Driving is what I do when I want to get away from. From what? From whom?

Well, you see, I’m sort of an escapist. I would get away from anything. From my job that I am incredibly passionate about. From my home which is the only paradise I can ever afford. From my wife, whom I love a lot and who loves me even more.

Well, you know, I’m that sort of a disgruntled old man who is unable to shed his narcissism in spite of all the bangs and bashes it has received for decades from well-meaning self-righteous religious people.

I suppose you must have understood by now what kind of a man I am. I am old. I am disgruntled according to those around me especially the religious sort of people. And, if you ask me, I don’t really care for other people which means I should be an ascetic.

I get overwhelmed, rarely though, by a desire to know what lies beneath the banality and morbidity of human life. That is what asceticism is about, I guess. My wife thinks I’m a bit cranky and hence she doesn’t care for my supernatural longings. She goes to church every Sunday and prays. I don’t go to any religious place to pray. But we, my wife and I, have come to an understanding that we are both free to practise spirituality in our own personal ways. It is very seldom you will find a woman who will allow her man to believe in a god different from hers even though the god is nothing more than a weekly hobby for her.

My weekly hobby is a drive. And that’s how I met this man who is apparently an ascetic. He lives in a hut in a forest.

While driving my calf muscle developed a cramp. Left or right, I don’t remember and I suppose it doesn’t matter. Left and right are like Tweedledee and Tweedledum now. What matters really is that the cramp is an indication of my growing old. I don’t want to grow old. So I stopped my car on the side of the road and walked into the forest just to challenge some wild elephant or tiger and thus prove that I am still young. Nowadays a lot of elephants and tigers appear all over our towns and highways in Kerala. We, homo sapiens, ate up their habitats and they are coming back to reclaim them. History is vindictive, you know. If you don’t know, ask our Prime Minister who has won a third term of royalty.

I know you will now smirk at my notorious obsession with our prime minister. Don’t be too harsh while you judge me, my dear reader. The prime minister has a role in this adventure of mine.

Wild elephants and tigers didn’t attack me though I went on and on into the forest. It was an ascetic that scared me.

He didn’t mean to scare me. I felt scared. This is called maya, illusion. If you want to know more about maya, read the Brihadaranyka Upanishad. Or sit in meditation on the Vivekananda Rock in Kanyakumari with a score of media cameras all around.

Who would expect a homo sapiens in the thick of a forest? I mean, aren’t they, the homo sapiens, supposed to be meditating in the middle of some ocean or on top of Mount Kailash?

This guy, Devendra his name is he tells me, was inspired by our prime minister. “Such a spiritual person he is, our prime minister,” Devendra tells me. Well, I hope you understood that I met Devendra in the deep of a forest that I was wandering through hoping to encounter a wild elephant or a tiger.

The media, both print and electronic, tell us about these wild elephants and tigers that come to the civilised world of homo sapiens. What I come across when I search the wilds is this homo sapiens who says he has become spiritual following the example of our prime minister who sat in contemplation on Mount Kailash and the Vivekananda Rock.

“But prime minister ji went back to his palace after all those dramas,” I said.

“I have no palace to go back to,” the homo sapiens in the wilds says.

This sad homo sapiens has a wife at home. Nobody else. Both his sons were in Canada. “I renounced my wife,” the homo sapiens tells me. “Gods are much easier to live with.”

I understood. You understood too, I know.

I took my hip flask and sucked in the cheap brandy that was already mixed with enough water to dilute the spirits that suck a GST of 300%.

“Can I have a suck?” Homo Sapiens asks.

Comments

  1. Homo sapiens is thirsty for diluted brandy and he says he renounced his wife. Who is the escapist? The narrator or this HS or PM ji?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Never mind illusion, first deal with delusion! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you didn't meet up with a tiger. But at least you got some conversation out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The openness to appreciate freedom and the freedom, to appreciate the differences is the algorithm of spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a profound view. How many people arrive at that level of spirituality, I wonder.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

The Little Girl

The Little Girl is a short story by Katherine Mansfield given in the class 9 English course of NCERT. Maggie gave an assignment to her students based on the story and one of her students, Athena Baby Sabu, presented a brilliant job. She converted the story into a delightful comic strip. Mansfield tells the story of Kezia who is the eponymous little girl. Kezia is scared of her father who wields a lot of control on the entire family. She is punished severely for an unwitting mistake which makes her even more scared of her father. Her grandmother is fond of her and is her emotional succour. The grandmother is away from home one day with Kezia's mother who is hospitalised. Kezia gets her usual nightmare and is terrified. There is no one at home to console her except her father from whom she does not expect any consolation. But the father rises to the occasion and lets the little girl sleep beside him that night. She rests her head on her father's chest and can feel his heart

Ashwatthama is still alive

Fiction Image from Pinterest “I met Ashwatthama.” When Doctor Prabhakar told me this, I thought he was talking figuratively. Metaphors were his weaknesses. “The real virus is in the human heart, Jai,” he had told me when the pandemic named Covid-19 started holding the country hostage. I thought his Ashwatthama was similarly figurative. Ashwatthama was Dronacharya’s son in the Mahabharata. He was blessed with immortality by Shiva. But the blessing became a horrible curse when Krishna punished him for killing the Pandava kids deceptively after Kurukshetra was brought to peace, however fragile that peace was, using all the frauds that a god could possibly use. Krishna of the Kurukshetra was no less a fraud than a run-of-the-mill politician in my imagination. He could get an innocent elephant named Ashwatthama killed and then convert that killing into a blatant lie to demoralise Drona. He could ask Bhima to hit Duryodhana below the belt without feeling any moral qualms in what

Shillong and a little more

  Hasina Kharbhih, image from the website of her NGO As I was reading Ashish Kundra’s book, A Resurgent Northeast: Narratives of Change , the name of Hasina Kharbhih caught my attention. It didn’t take me much time to verify that it was the same Hasina whom I taught in high school back in the late 1980s. This is what Kundra says about her: Sexual exploitation of urban migrants pushed seventeen-year-old Hasina Kharbhih to start the Impulse NGO Network in Meghalaya. She offers a contrarian view of the skilling programme run by the government. ‘Skill India turned our rural youth into labourers,’ she fumes. She pledged to stem the tide of migration of rural women by leveraging an exclusive source of strength of the region: handlooms. Over the years, she has created a network of 30,000 artisans…. A Fulbright scholar, Hasina’s work has won her many accolades and awards. I had read about Hasina a few years back in the magazine, Down To Earth . Kundra’s book gave me more information abo