Skip to main content

Beyond the Psyche

Image from gettyimages.in


“Do you think inspirational books are really useful?” Varkita Goyal, blogger, asks at a blogger community. The first inspirational book I read was How to Win Friends and Influence People by the godfather of inspirational books, Dale Carnegie. I read it as a school boy. I found the book in my father’s library and was drawn by the very title. I wanted to win friends and influence people. The book had all the tricks and techniques, if I remember correctly. But I never won any friend, nor do I think I went on to influence anyone.

As I look back I know that the problem was not with Carnegie or his strategies. The problem was with me. What I needed were not tricks and strategies but a lot of polishing. I had too many rough edges and I lacked the self-knowledge required to deal with them. Unless you possess a certain fundamental self-knowledge, inspirational books won’t do any miracle for you.

Eventually I read a lot of inspirational books. All sorts of them, from simple practical psychology to spirituality-based books. They helped at times, but not as much as serious works of literature did. The best among the inspirational ones were the works of John Powell, if I remember correctly. I read Powell in my early twenties. The very title of his books will tell you that they were more spiritual in nature than psychological: Why am I Afraid to Love?, Why am I Afraid to Tell You Who I Am?, and so on.

A few quotes from Powell will give you an idea of what he was trying to achieve through his books:

“It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.”

“Why am I afraid to tell you who I am? I am afraid to tell you who I am, because, If I tell you who I am, you may not like who I am, and it’s all that I have.”

Powell obviously goes beyond the psyche into your deepest core. He unveils you, helps you to accept that reality which you probably hate, helps you to love that reality of yourself without which there’s no authentic way ahead in life.

I think writers like Powell achieve much more than the usual run of psychological writers.

But now, as a man in the autumn of his life, I don’t read inspirational books. I read biographies and novels, history and books on current affairs. These books inspire me now. I guess I have grown up. I hope I have.

PS. Written for In[di]spire Edition 274: #Inspirationalbooks


Welcome to my latest book: click here for your copy


Comments

  1. If you have gone beyond the allure of run of the mill self help books, you have definitely grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely endorse your viewpoint that self-help books won't be of much use for any reader not possessing a certain fundamental self-knowledge. I also didn't get benefitted by How To Win And Influence People. And sometimes, even the writers of such books themselves also are not able to do what they aim (and claim to achieve through their books). The best example is the author of You Can Win, i.e., Shiv Khera who tried to inspire people to get rid of their obsession with their respective castes and inculcate the sense of equality of all in themselves by launching his own political party titled as Samta Party and fought the legislative assembly elections of Delhi in 2008. All his candidates got their deposits forfeited. He had also lost the Lok Sabha election (as an independent candidate) very badly in 2004. Finally he put down his weapons (i.e., ceased his efforts to improve the people by direct communication and politics) and capitulated down to something he had never supported in his life by his words - he supported BJP and campaigned for L.K. Advani in the 2014 general election. I hope, he must have realized that despite authoring You Can Win, he couldn't win despite his noble aim and mission. His campaigning for BJP and Mr. Advani and quitting his mission to change the Indian people established that he forgot a very important saying – ‘Some goals are so worthy that it’s glorious even to fail’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The example you've given is quite interesting. I once listened to Shiv Khera, one whole afternoon at Sawan Public School. It was a very interesting session. He knew how to engross his audience. People admired him. But as you say, he couldn't translate his vision to success in his personal life. It is easier to motivate others sometimes? Maybe.

      Delete
  3. One thing I have found is reading inspirational books or talking about them is something people like to boast about as soon as they start work especially in areas like sales or marketing .... I am not sure what magic answer they are looking for in them .... I have found some fiction books that have more deep and meaningful lines than some of the inspirational books .... But some as the examples you have given can hit us at the core of our selves ... Good luck with your new book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be people who find inspiration from certain books and i won't deny them the pleasure. But I'm glad to find another soul who finds inspiration in literature.

      Delete
  4. Nice post.I like your point of view and I also feel in the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the author has done lot of research to write this post.
    Thank You author for the wonderful post.
    Related: https://www.businessinsane.com/2020/02/how-to-influence-people-and-win-friend.html

    Business Insane - "READ THE SUCCESS"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts