Skip to main content

Cats and Man

Kittu established his place at home too soon
The great philosopher Immanuel Kant said, "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." I was seldom overwhelmed by love for animals. At best I would admire them from a distance. I loved watching certain animals for their ferocity and majesty. My heart would resonate with William Blake's admiration for the "fearful symmetry" of the tiger. I have often wondered with Blake whether the same creator made both the lamb and the tiger. But I could never bring myself to domesticate any animal. I never dreamt of keeping animal pets. 

Nevertheless, a cat whom I named Kittu walked into my heart two years ago. He had been abandoned on the roadside near my house by someone who obviously had not cultivated the sensibility that the great philosopher suggested. Even before I realised what was happening, I fell in love with Kittu. When I had to be away from home overnight, I worried about Kittu's well-being. 
Kittu got closer and closer 

Kittu is a great survivor. He learnt to navigate the rugged terrains dominated by rather cruel creatures called human beings. He escaped two attempts of poisoning: some neighbour who was probably annoyed by his frequent trespasses poisoned him. I got him the necessary medication both the times. Kittu was also attacked more than once with some sharp object. I nursed his wounds. 
Kittu could arrest my movement 

Nowadays I make sure that Kittu is well-fed before I leave home for school and as soon as I return so that he won't have to sneak into any neighbour's kitchen. He gets his first dole of milk at 5.30 in the morning so that he will be hungry enough for his breakfast by the time I have to leave home. Kittu taught me to care for someone without any selfish motives. 

Yesterday evening, as the sky was just turning dark, my attention was drawn by the loud cries of a small kitten from the same roadside where Kittu had been abandoned two years ago. This time it was a tiny creature that still required its mother's milk and warmth. As soon as it saw me, it came running to me, crying all the way. I gave it some milk. It didn't know how to drink it initially. It learnt slowly. But it couldn't drink much. It is learning now to drink milk. Hunger is a great teacher, I guess. 
Kittu is apparently not quite happy with the new arrival

How could someone abandon a kitten so small? That question worries me. Couldn't the owner of this tiny creature wait for a few days more, until it would wean itself from its mother?

Little kitten, who made thee? William Blake haunts me again. Did the same god who made human beings create you too?


Comments

  1. Lovely post! You are good giving them home. I can now see when you mentioned that you see 'those poses' at home. I am always drawn towards animals except reptiles, a bit scared of them! As a kid I used to bring the stray cats and dogs home much to my amma's annoyance! Now I long to have one at home but it's quite not possible in this flat in Dubai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite tough to keep pets if you live in a flat. My cats live in open air for most part of the day.

      I happened to watch the Malayalam movie Jellikettu this afternoon. It shows the savage side of man. My cats are benign creatures in comparison.

      Delete
  2. Such a pleasure to read this post about the bonding between you and the cat/kitten. It is said that man adopts a dog but the cats adopt their caretaker. So you are the chosen one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to believe that because the little creature follows me wherever i go.

      Delete
  3. Cats, dogs, ducks, rabbits ... a small opening in the heart is all they need and they know how to open it completely! I love both cats and dogs :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ivan the unusual friend

When you are down and out, you will find that people are of two types. One is the kind that will walk away from you because now you are no good. They will pretend that you don’t exist. They don’t see you even if you happen to land right in front of them. The other is the sort that will have much fun at your expense. They will crack jokes about you even to you or preach at you or pray over you. This latter people are usually pretty happy that you are broke. You make them feel more comfortable with themselves even to the point of self-righteousness. Ivan was an exception. When I slipped on the path of life and started a free fall that would last many years before I hit the bottom without a thud but with enormous anguish, Ivan stood by me for some reason of his own. He didn’t display any affection which probably he didn’t have. He didn’t display any dislike either. There was no question of preaching or praying. No jokes either. Ivan was my colleague for a brief period at St Joseph’s

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Joe the tenacious friend

AI-generated illustration You outgrow certain friendships because life changes you in ways that nobody, including you, had expected. Joe is one such friend of mine who was very dear to me once. That friendship cannot be sustained anymore because I am no more the person whom Joe knew and loved to amble along with. And Joe seems incapable of understanding the fact that people can change substantially. Joe and I were supposed to meet one of these days after a gap of more than two decades. I scuttled the meeting rather heartlessly. Just because Joe’s last messages carried words that smacked of intimacy. My life has gone through so much devastating fire that the delicate warmth of intimacy has become repulsive. Joe was a good friend of mine while we were in Shillong. He was a post-graduate student and a part-time schoolteacher when I met him first. I was a fulltime schoolteacher teaching math and science to ninth and tenth graders. My dream was to postgraduate in English literature an

Kailasnath the Paradox

AI-generated illustration It wasn’t easy to discern whether he was a friend or merely an amused onlooker. He was my colleague at the college, though from another department. When my life had entered a slippery slope because of certain unresolved psychological problems, he didn’t choose to shun me as most others did. However, when he did condescend to join me in the college canteen sipping tea and smoking a cigarette, I wasn’t ever sure whether he was befriending me or mocking me. Kailasnath was a bundle of paradoxes. He appeared to be an alpha male, so self-assured and lord of all that he surveyed. Yet if you cared to observe deeply, you would find too many chinks in his armour. Beneath all those domineering words and gestures lay ample signs of frailty. The tall, elegantly slim and precisely erect stature would draw anyone’s attention quickly. Kailasnath was always attractively dressed though never unduly stylish. Everything about him exuded an air of chic confidence. But the wa

Levin the good shepherd

AI-generated image The lost sheep and its redeemer form a pet motif in Christianity. Jesus portrayed himself as a good shepherd many times. He said that the good shepherd will leave his 99 sheep in order to bring the lost sheep back to the fold. When he finds the lost sheep, the shepherd is happier about that one sheep than about the 99, Jesus claimed. He was speaking metaphorically. The lost sheep is the sinner in Jesus’ parable. Sin is a departure from the ‘right’ way. Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10]. A lot of Catholic priests I know carry some sort of a Redeemer complex in their souls. They love the sinner so much that they cannot rest until they make the angels of God run for their cups of joy. I have also been fortunate to have one such priest-friend whom I shall call Levin in this post. He has befriended me right from the year 1976 when I was a blundering adolescent and he was just one year older than me. He possesse