Skip to main content

Dead Poets Society

 


This book is a novelised version of the 1989-movie by the same name. It tells the story of an unconventional English teacher, John Keating, and a few of his 16-year-old students at Welton Academy Prep School. The plot is set in 1959 when elite schools followed certain rigid codes very religiously. Welton (which is Hellton for the students of this novel) is erected on the “four pillars” of Tradition, Honour, Discipline and Excellence. All the teachers except Mr Keating belong to the usual conventional rut.

Keating inspires his students to follow their hearts. Carpe Diem, he tells them, Seize the day, “… because we’re food for worms, lads!” “Because we’re only going to experience a limited number of springs, summers, and falls.” There’s much to be done before our bodies turn cold in their inevitable tombs.

Triumph as individuals instead of following the herd. That’s one of the things we need to do, Keating tells his students. As an English teacher, Keating insists on his students to savour language because “no matter what anyone tells you, words and ideas have the power to change the world.” Science and other subjects will help to sustain life. But poetry, romance, and passion – they are what life is essentially about.

Inspired by Keating, a group of boys (Welton is a boys’ school) resurrect the Dead Poets Society which existed as a secret society in Welton when Keating was a student there. The society is “dedicated to sucking the marrow out of life,” Keating says using Thoreau’s words. “A small group of us would meet at the old cave, and we would take turns reading Shelley, Thoreau, Whitman, our own verse – and the enchantment of the moment let it work its magic on us.”

Get the maximum out of life. Live life passionately. A group of Keating’s students take that seriously and the plot moves on to the expected oppositions: from school as well as parents. There is gnashing of teeth and some tragedy too. And something more than tragedy too.

I came to know about this book as well as the movie when Sandra, a grade-12 student of mine, compared me to Keating two days back. Her comparison raised my curiosity and I borrowed her copy of the novel. As I turned the pages, I was a little alarmed. Am I really like Mr Keating? All heart and little brain?

There is something anti-intellectual about Mr Keating. Conventions – social as well as academic – ossify you into robotic adherents of given truths. Keating’s solution is to follow the heart. No wonder, his favourites are the Romantic poets. He is not interested in critical analyses of poems. He wants students to savour the passion in the verse.

No, I am not anti-intellectual though the Romantic worldview occupies a prominent place in my heart with all its fire of passion. There is something shallow about Keating which I didn’t like. But this was primarily a movie, I said to myself. A popular movie which teens loved. The shallowness is understandable. I reasoned. Yet the urge to ask Sandra what she found in common between the protagonist and me was irresistible.

“Keating is a really fun teacher so are you,” Sandra texted me promptly. “And the kids in the book enjoy English classes. Just like him (Keating), u teach us things that lie beyond the texts… You actually treat us as both students and people in a society. You’re fun altogether. English classes are so energetic. All of us look forward to English classes. And I’m sure it’s becoz of the teacher.”

That’s a huge compliment from a student and I lap it up particularly in these days of the pandemic which has made classes herculean challenges. But Keating is certainly not the kind that would be my role model. I hope beyond the fun and the passion, my classes tickle your grey matter too, dear Sandra.

And one more thing, I love the logo with which you stamp your personal mark on the front page of your books. There’s something in it that the Romantic John Keats would admire.

xZx 

Comments

  1. Yes sir, Keating is so sucked into the romantic world. He even mocks science.I believe you have an open mind towards reason and facts. But yes, in dealing with us, students, you do have a Keating-vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just open mind, Sisira, I respect reason and facts. And thanks for letting me know about the vibe :)

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    I understand your student's compliment - though cannot vouch personally for accuracy! As for the story itself, I am rather of a similar view and was at odds with my peers when I said that I felt it somewhat over-rated... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teens see reality differently. They're impressionable, as another character in the novel says.

      Delete
  3. As a student, I kept the belief that language teachers appeal to your romantic side, later on I realized most of my science teachers also, mixing chemicals and showing colors is not rational thinking. Where science teachers fail language teachers can shine as rational thinkers. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any teacher can exert tremendous influence on students. Science teachers tend to be preoccupied with completing the course material. Language teacher's material is life itself. I received a number of personal messages in response to this post from students who appreciated the way i touched their lives. I'm happy, nay, excited.

      Delete
  4. Have not seen the movie, the closest I have to is Mohabaatein :P
    Many have compared the movie so I am assuming they have taken inspiration from DPS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't even aware of the movie until this book landed on my table.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts