Skip to main content

Ruskin Bond at Ninety


I stood face to face with Ruskin Bond. He had his characteristic genial smile on his face. My face must have revealed a helpless inhibition which held me back from going to him and the simultaneous desire to go to him and say a Hi at least. I would have loved to have a conversation with him, however brief.

That was in 2003. I had taken a student of mine from school for an award ceremony organised by ITC at the ITC Hotel in Mumbai. My student was one of the 15 prize-winners of a short story competition conducted by ITC and their newly launched brand of student-oriented products named Classmate. The awards were being presented by Ruskin Bond who would also release the story anthology.

My student who won the award was a fan of Ruskin Bond. But he did not seem the least interested in meeting his favourite writer personally and getting an autograph. He was with the other prize-winners who were all imprinting autographs on one another’s white T-shirts presented to them by ITC and which they were wearing then. They had been together nearly two days during which span of time they seemed to have become very intimate with each other. Ruskin Bond was watching the young students with visible amusement. I was watching him with some longing in my heart.

Bond was 69 years old then. I was 43. His face bore the tranquillity of a mature sexagenarian. Mine must have revealed the trepidations of an adolescent who failed to grow up. I averted my gaze when Bond took notice of me. He must have wondered why I was staring at him. Soon the organisers of the programme arrived on the scene and the dinner started.

Today, as a sexagenarian, I do feel a regret as I recall this incident. Why did I remember it now? I’m reading Bond’s book, The Golden Years: The Many Joys of Living a Good Long Life (HarperCollins India, 2023). A very simple book written when Bond was 89 years old. He is a nonagenarian now. And still writing. 

Right in the first chapter of the book, Bond wonders why writers should retire at all. Age gives people more maturity if not more wisdom. Moreover, “there is a certain joy in writing,” Bond says, “in putting words down on paper and creating a story or a poem or a novel or even a memoir; and if no one else enjoys what you have composed, never mind, you have done it for yourself and your own pleasure.”

I liked that. Because I have decided to go on writing as long as I can. It doesn’t matter how many read what I write. As of now, I have a good readership and I’m thrilled about that. Here’s a screenshot of the latest stats of this blog. [A pat on my own back] 

Screenshot at 9.30 pm on 2 July 2024

Bond goes on to say that the human brain is at its most fertile in our later years because years of experience nurtures such fertility. He cites examples of eminent writers who were highly active in their old age. “Well into her eighties Agatha Christie was inventing crimes for her detective Hercule Poirot… P G Wodehouse, when ninety, was still regaling us with the exploits of Bertie Wooster and his butler Jeeves…” Bond also mentions Bernard Shaw, Somerset Maugham, R K Narayan, Mulk Raj Anand and Khushwant Singh. Nayantara Sehgal is still writing at ninety-six, he concludes the list. Sehgal is now 97 and still writing, I guess.

We grew up in a troubled world, Bond says, and we are still living in a troubled world. It will always be so because humans are troublesome by nature. If you have survived your sixties, it means you know how to live with all those troubles. Why not tell the world how you managed all that? I think that’s a good argument.

I’m not very sure whether I have really learnt how to survive all those troubles. I am still a debilitated individual, 64 years old, highly inhibited, incapable of standing face to face with any adult, let alone Ruskin Bond. I stake no claim to any sort of wisdom. If I have survived beyond sixty, it’s a mystery, not because of any skill of mine for sure. But I may go on like this because I usually deal with youngsters who haven’t acquired the malice of the adults yet.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    To my shame, I have never read anything from RB... will have to add that to my bucket list... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is quite a simple book about old age. The simplicity is a charm, of course, particularly because of the underlying practical wisdom.

      Delete
  2. I want to meet him. I hope I will be able to soon. A great author... simplicity in his life as well as writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruskin Bond is such an amazing writer. His simple and beautiful style of writing has some magic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

The Little Girl

The Little Girl is a short story by Katherine Mansfield given in the class 9 English course of NCERT. Maggie gave an assignment to her students based on the story and one of her students, Athena Baby Sabu, presented a brilliant job. She converted the story into a delightful comic strip. Mansfield tells the story of Kezia who is the eponymous little girl. Kezia is scared of her father who wields a lot of control on the entire family. She is punished severely for an unwitting mistake which makes her even more scared of her father. Her grandmother is fond of her and is her emotional succour. The grandmother is away from home one day with Kezia's mother who is hospitalised. Kezia gets her usual nightmare and is terrified. There is no one at home to console her except her father from whom she does not expect any consolation. But the father rises to the occasion and lets the little girl sleep beside him that night. She rests her head on her father's chest and can feel his heart

Ashwatthama is still alive

Fiction Image from Pinterest “I met Ashwatthama.” When Doctor Prabhakar told me this, I thought he was talking figuratively. Metaphors were his weaknesses. “The real virus is in the human heart, Jai,” he had told me when the pandemic named Covid-19 started holding the country hostage. I thought his Ashwatthama was similarly figurative. Ashwatthama was Dronacharya’s son in the Mahabharata. He was blessed with immortality by Shiva. But the blessing became a horrible curse when Krishna punished him for killing the Pandava kids deceptively after Kurukshetra was brought to peace, however fragile that peace was, using all the frauds that a god could possibly use. Krishna of the Kurukshetra was no less a fraud than a run-of-the-mill politician in my imagination. He could get an innocent elephant named Ashwatthama killed and then convert that killing into a blatant lie to demoralise Drona. He could ask Bhima to hit Duryodhana below the belt without feeling any moral qualms in what

Illusions

Fiction D riving is what I do when I want to get away from. From what? From whom? Well, you see, I’m sort of an escapist. I would get away from anything. From my job that I am incredibly passionate about. From my home which is the only paradise I can ever afford. From my wife, whom I love a lot and who loves me even more. Well, you know, I’m that sort of a disgruntled old man who is unable to shed his narcissism in spite of all the bangs and bashes it has received for decades from well-meaning self-righteous religious people. I suppose you must have understood by now what kind of a man I am. I am old. I am disgruntled according to those around me especially the religious sort of people. And, if you ask me, I don’t really care for other people which means I should be an ascetic. I get overwhelmed, rarely though, by a desire to know what lies beneath the banality and morbidity of human life. That is what asceticism is about, I guess. My wife thinks I’m a bit cranky and hence sh

The Ugly Duckling

Source: Acting Company A. A. Milne’s one-act play, The Ugly Duckling , acquired a classical status because of the hearty humour used to present a profound theme. The King and the Queen are worried because their daughter Camilla is too ugly to get a suitor. In spite of all the devious strategies employed by the King and his Chancellor, the princess remained unmarried. Camilla was blessed with a unique beauty by her two godmothers but no one could see any beauty in her physical appearance. She has an exquisitely beautiful character. What use is character? The King asks. The play is an answer to that question. Character plays the most crucial role in our moral science books and traditional rhetoric, religious scriptures and homilies. When it comes to practical life, we look for other things such as wealth, social rank, physical looks, and so on. As the King says in this play, “If a girl is beautiful, it is easy to assume that she has, tucked away inside her, an equally beauti