Skip to main content

Kittu and I

Kittu thinks he deserves the best.


“Owners of dogs will have noticed that if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realise that if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.” I came across those words of Christopher Hitchens purely by coincidence and the very next thing I did was to search more about Hitchens. The titles of his books like God is not Great and The Portable Atheist found me logging on to Amazon India to search whether the books are available.

Someone who makes that profound observation about cats and dogs has a heart in addition to a brain and hence tends to be worth reading. I know enough about cats and dogs now to stake that claim. My brother’s dogs love me more than my own cat.

Kittu, my cat, was abandoned by someone at my doorstep when he was just old enough to walk on his own. He chose to walk into my heart with a grace and stealth which was so feminine that I assumed that it was a female cat. When a friend of mine heard me refer to the cat as ‘she’ he drew my attention to its nascent scrotum and said, “Better. Otherwise you’ll have too many cats too soon.”
 
The best is relative, of course.
My friend doesn’t like cats because he says they are heartless creatures. “When this fellow finds a better place he’ll desert you, however much you love him,” my friend warned me.

“Genuine love doesn’t seek reciprocation,” I consoled Maggie philosophically when Kittu began to play hide and seek with us soon after his scrotum bulged fully.
  
Even Maggie's kitchen can put him to sleep!
Both Maggie and I are away from home for about 8 hours every day and Kittu is left outside with ample food to eat and a lot of open space to wander about. He used to be there in a yogic sushupti on one of the chairs on my front veranda when Maggie and I returned from school in the evening. As soon as our car turned into the home driveway, he would get up, stretch himself like a yogi doing the Surya namaskar, and walk towards the car porch. He would accompany me, caressing himself against my leg as I walked, enter the room even before I did and utter an imperial meow that would send me grabbing at the packet of Whiskas, his exclusive food.  He would share my tea a little later or wait for Maggie to prepare milk for him.

Soon he would be in the garden envying the weeds that consumed all my attention. In short, he was there where I was or Maggie was. That’s not the case nowadays, however. My friend turned out to be right. Kittu goes missing every now and then especially in the evenings.

The other day Maggie scrambled an egg when she was in a mood to pamper Kittu. He loves eggs scrambled without any ingredients, not even the common salt. When he ate half of the thing, he heard some sound from a distance. He stopped eating and started running. Maggie called him back but he did not care two hoots for her.

Later I learnt that the sound was of a female cat. Rather I learnt that there was a female cat in the neighbourhood.
 
That's his favourite place outside home.
“Didn’t Jesus say that when a person grows up into adulthood he or she will leave her parents and live with his or her partner? Kittu has grown up.”

Kittu has nearly converted our house into a langar where he drops in whenever he is hungry. His Whiskas, fish, milk, eggs, etc wait for him as always. Kittu has taught me that genuine love need not always be reciprocated. Especially when a god – I mean, cat –  is concerned!

PS. I notice that all the pics I've posted are of Kittu sleeping. But never mistake, dear reader, he's awake most of the time. He doesn't pose for me, however. 

Comments

  1. Interesting to read about Kittu.Realy he is a God capable of bringing joy and happiness in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is holiday and he has not left home. So loneliness may be a serious problem for him too!

      Delete
  2. Nice to go through your experience with your cat, interesting one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the