Skip to main content

Optimism

A part of the staff quarters demolished partly by RSSB initially and left as such for months just to demoralise the staff


I had a colleague in Delhi who fought two successive cases in the court of justice in order to get his job back. Let me call him Sachin. He won the first case and arrived at a compromise in the second. He went through veritable hells during his fights but never lost his optimism. Yesterday when I posited a question on Facebook whether the Karnataka by-election results were an indication of people’s disillusionment with the BJP, Sachin was one of the first to assert confidently, “Surely not.”

Sachin was a math teacher in the senior secondary section which already had another math teacher. He was brought in because students were unhappy with the existing teacher. It is quite difficult to be a popular math teacher and Sachin too faced an uphill task which eventually became too daunting especially with the uncooperative attitude of the management and a section of the staff. A series of incidents led Sachin into depression and he submitted his resignation letter to the head of academics in frustration.  The very next morning, however, he came to his senses, aided by his family members and some of his perceptive colleagues [among whom I include myself] and applied for the withdrawal of his resignation. There was no technical or legal objection to that withdrawal. However, the head of academics issued him a letter stating that the school had already accepted his resignation and he had to move out immediately. His first court case followed immediately. The court judged in his favour after some four years or so and he had to be taken back by the school.

Soon after that the management of the school changed hands. A religious cult called Radha Soami Stasang Beas [RSSB] took over the school with mala fide intentions. They promised to run the school in a better way than the previous management though none of the staff trusted them. The actions of RSSB justified our suspicions. Soon after taking over the school the new management started dismissing the staff one by one on various pretexts most of which were whimsical or flippant. Sachin was one of the many who lost their job to the religious fervour of RSSB. He filed his second case in the court.

Being aware of the influence that RSSB wielded in the government, among politicians and others with any power as well as the local rank and file, I suggested an out-of-court settlement. Sachin’s sensibility was offended. “Sir,” he told me with an exceptional confidence, “I trust in the judiciary of this country. Satyameva jayate.”

His optimism was misplaced, however. RSSB managed to get the entire staff and students out of the campus in a couple of years’ time. Then they razed every building – the school, a huge library, auditorium, hostels, staff quarters, hospital, dining hall, etc – and the entire 15-acre campus was converted into a parking lot for the cult’s devotees.  The cult had used various strategies, most of which were unfair and many were extremely diabolic, to achieve their final objective of annihilating the school.

I still remember one morning Sachin emerging from his staff quarters wearing nothing more than a pair of shorts and vest when the bulldozer started demolishing a wing of the staff quarters from which he had refused to vacate in spite of repeated orders from the management. I admired his guts. He called the police instantly and complained that the management was trying to kill him and his family. He had actually got a stay order from the court against the management’s order for vacating his residence. He won this time. The bulldozer had to withdraw. The withdrawal was for a few hours, however. RSSB is too powerful for a man like Sachin, however brave and honest he may be.

Sachin had to leave the campus soon. We all followed him in a matter of a few days. Such was the power of the religious cult. Whatever happened during that period added profundity to my inherent cynicism. But Sachin continued to be an ardent optimist.

Ambrose Bierce saw optimism as “an intellectual disorder” which is “hereditary but not contagious.”  I don’t know if it really is hereditary. But I’m convinced that it is a disorder when it crosses the borders of common sense. Bierce defined optimism as “a doctrine or belief that everything is beautiful including what is ugly”.  Everything is right including the wrong, for the optimist. The optimist will admonish you if you say the glass is half-empty because for him it is half-full. The optimist holds on to his faith with “greatest tenacity.” Bierce goes on to say that “Being a blind faith, it is inaccessible to the light of disproof.”

Sachin frequently accuses me of being a “negative” and “hateful” man merely because I question the evils like lynching, communalism, fraudulence and chicanery perpetrated by the ruling BJP. His faith in the party is blind in the sense pointed out by Bierce.

I consider myself a realist. I accept the good as good and the bad as bad. I have a very strongly founded ethical system of my own which I follow meticulously though the religious optimists may not understand it. I can understand the aspirations of the man who gazes longingly at the stars in the heavens while standing rooted in the filthiest gutter. I too long to reach the stars. But I know the reality in which I am grounded. I know that real optimism begins from that reality. Mere longing is a hollow dream.



Comments

  1. I hereby would like all the readers to know that this year in march, the land underneath school and much more acquired land by the same cult has been taken back by supreme court.
    But, sad part is the sleeping government is still sleeping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this information. I was not aware of it.

      RSSB will get its retribution for ruining many people's careers also, i hope.

      Delete
    2. You write hard hitting posts. Though I do not agree with many of your posts, I agree Radha Swami group is powerful. In India, judicial process is slow. A battery of highly paid lawyers can certainly manipulate the system. If the Radha Swami group was being unfair to school staff, why did everyone not file a joint application to the court against demolition? It would have been financially more easy and case would be stronger.

      Delete
    3. We tried to unite the staff but failed. People are essentially selfish and most staff thought they would either be safe or benefit personally by being friendly with the cult. Some were afraid. Some became ardent devotees (and quit as soon as the school was decimated). RSSB attacked the staff members using different strategies. Some were assaulted on public roads. There was a non-bailable charge of molesting women foisted on one. It became an unbearable nightmare for all of us. We approached powerful politicians but they bluntly admitted their helplessness. The lawyers who argued some of our cases were bribed by the cult and thus we were betrayed by them too. I detested Delhi with all that and quit the place for good.

      Delete
  2. More than being an optimist or a pessimist, I would prefer to be a realist. But then what is realistic varies from individual to individual.
    He might have lost the battle, but he probably gained a moral victory. It all depends on a person's individual's choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, that's right. That's why we continue to be friends in spite of our differences.

      Delete
  3. "An intellectual disorder", that's what has happened to all the bhakts who can not see or stand the light of disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belief is okay. But blind faith which crosses the limits of common sense is terrifying.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc