Skip to main content

God is not a ferryman



All my friends – with one exception or two – seem to be very God-fearing people. My WhatsApp space is replete with religious messages every time I open it. Some messages are prayers or spiritual messages related to COVID19. Some are warnings and threats issued on behalf of none other than God. Quite a few are prophesies made on the basis of certain scriptural verses or the visions that certain preachers claim to receive from God directly. I rarely open any of these. I opened one this afternoon because it happened to be a very large file, the video of a prolonged speech by a Catholic priest. The speech went on for an hour or so. I listened to half of it. The message that accompanied the video was that the priest was making an accurate prediction about the present happenings and the future of the earth. It turned out that the priest was opposed to all such predictions, miracles and other misuses of religion. So why did the sender of that message mislead people by giving a false introduction? I don’t know. Maybe, he was trying to grab some attention from people.

I noticed, however, that there are a lot of people who have suddenly become religious because of COVID19. I know that their religion is just a temporary shield that will fall off the moment the virus vanishes from their neighbourhood.

This is precisely my problem with these religious people and their preaching. They make use of god(s) and religions as if these were some ferry boats just waiting to row them across to a safer shore.

God is not a ferryman, please. Neither is he your replica to send a virus when he is angry with you and then perform a miracle when he is pleased with your slobbering prayers. If you wish to believe in that kind of a puerile god, keep that belief to yourself. Why send such silly stuff over to me?
 
She's a miracle too
My god is a divine presence within my being. It’s not a silly old perverted irritable man. It’s a soothing breeze, a gentle caress, a healing touch, a warm embrace, a soul-stirring melody… It has no religion. It doesn’t need prayers and sacrifices. It needs you. It is you.

Don’t ask god to work miracles. You perform the miracles. Love is a miracle, for instance. Compassion is. Goodness is. You decide what miracle you want. And perform it. You are the miracle worker. The world can be a better place if you leave puerile notions about god and discover the real god. May this lockdown help you in that. Amen.


Comments

  1. God loving or God fearing people are divided into three categories - arta, artharthi and jignasu. Some are desperate, some are greedy and some are genuinely interested to know what stuff is this God made of. Of course the underlying presumption in all cases is that there is an entity called God, even thorough its form and concept may vary from culture to culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I belong to any of those categories because God, for me, is not an external entity. God is a projection of ourselves. Or God is the best of me, for me.

      Delete
    2. It's true and I'm with you for that, the thing is that, the people are not interested in taking God that way cause if they do most of the things that they do will pretty much sound awkward. So they just go on with the crowd.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Tony. It's easy to go with the crowd. Most people choose to do that because that's easy. I chose to be genuine. I needed that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts