Skip to main content

Religion of Romance

A page from my book, English Poetry


A few months before the coronavirus started holding mankind hostage, I attended a wedding some 80 km from my home. When I was about to leave for home after the dinner, the host who was a close relative of mine asked me, “Can you take Father X with you. His seminary is on the way to your home. Just drop him there on your way.”

“Is he the priest who delivered the sermon today?” I asked. Yes, my host said. I’d be glad to take him, I said. I loved his sermon.

The sermon is a part of the usual Catholic religious ritual called Mass. It is nothing more than a plebeian elaboration on a biblical passage delivered by a priest for the mediocre believer. I have listened to hundreds of wedding sermons all of which were slight variations on the qualities of ideal Christian couples.

But Fr X’s sermon caught my attention. The comatose romantic in me was resurrected right away as he started with the example of the honeymoon of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The innocence of the first couple that was not yet corrupted by the Serpent was the theme of the sermon. Eden is a synonym of innocence, a refusal to be tempted by the Serpent, a transparency that draws the other like an irresistible magnet, a love that bonds you to the other as well as the whole nature around you…

I became Adam in God’s Eden while listening to the sermon. I visualised the Angel Oaks and the Rainbow Eucalyptuses on the rolling hillocks of Eden, the musk roses and the white lilies on the banks of sparkling streams, and the tigers and the gazelles that walked on my either side. Our either side, rather. What was Eden for Adam without his Eve?

Maggie [who had chosen to leave the front seat for the priest] told me as soon as she  saw Father X approaching our car, “Lower the volume of the music. The songs are too romantic for a priest.” Sheer coincidence, my car stereo was then playing a Malayalam song about a female bird that awaited its mate with longing on a hillside from the valley of which rose the aroma of burning incense. Incense is burnt in churches too. But birds which long for their mates on a romantic hillside are out of tune with churches. I turned down the volume but the song was still audible enough, like the soothing gurgle of a mountain brook.

Most religious people I know, irrespective of religion, are very loquacious people. They are characteristically nosey too. They want to know everything about you, from the temperature of your bathwater to the menu of your last dinner. So I waited for Father X to shoot his questions as I drove on breathing in the subdued aroma of the incense that rose from the yearning bird’s valley.

Father X was silent, however. Absolutely uncharacteristic of a priest. He had responded to my greeting and that’s all. I decided to break the ice and said, “Your sermon today was exceptional.” I waited for a response. Nothing came. “This is the first time I heard a Catholic priest give such a romantic interpretation of the biblical Eden,” I added.

“Thank you,” he said. He turned the volume knob of my car stereo. I thought it was a hint for me: ‘Just shut up, will you?’ I did shut up. The songs were good. And loud enough now.

Romance flowed in the car and Father X tapped his thigh with his palm to the tune of the song being played. I looked at Maggie in the rear-view mirror and she smiled at me meaningfully.

“If there is one more birth for you and me,” the song went, “will you be my mate again?” Father X tapped his thigh.

Romance runs in the veins of certain people, I know. The priest’s sermon was an evidence of the romance in his heart. I know that I will be a romantic till the last breath of my life.

Romantic like those poets of the early 19th century: Keats, Shelley and Wordsworth, for example. Most of them died young. Keats quit at the age of 26. Shelley made it to 30. At 36, Byron burnt out. Later Will Durant wrote that the romantics were killed by the intensity of their own dreams.

The romantics hated the real world and lived in the worlds of their own imaginations. They all had their sacred niches, like Nature for Wordsworth, Beauty for Keats, and some imaginary place for Shelley. The romantics withdrew from outer experience and concentrated on some worlds within themselves. Wordsworth’s nature was actually not the nature outside; he transmuted that nature into something else within him. So did Keats with beauty, and Shelley with his special places.

So do I. I imagine an ideal world like my romantic predecessors did and wish to live there. When I have to confront the reality around me and its contrasts with my imagination, I feel sick. I long for Adam’s Eden, my Eden – that is.

Father X too lives in some such Eden, I think. After all, what is religion but a big romance with its ideal Heaven and its exotic angels?
 
My First Book: published in 2001
PS. Wordsworth died at the ripe age of 80.
xZx



Comments

  1. That's a sweet little anecdote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one, sir! What was different take from adam and eve lives that the priest has mentioned? Can you bit elaborate as i am curious to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have already mentioned it. Seeing Adam and Eve as enjoying their honeymoon in Eden, that was a novel idea for me, coming from a Catholic priest. He emphasised the role of innocence in a romantic relationship. The essence of romance is that innocence. Why do couples lose romance from life as years go by? Loss of that paradisaical innocence.I liked that. That priest is a retreat preacher, in fact, as I learnt later.

      Delete
  3. The romantics have a gift of creating worlds of their own, a happy place to escape into from reality. They make their own Edens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An enjoyable piece....playing with the feel of common man romance and fineness of romanticism....the innocence of love...the paradise is the meadow of virginity....the purity saturated in innocence...untouched by original sins...before the fall of the dust of mother Earth......the innocence led to exploration of liberty from the shackles of crude vices of reality...searchinng the beauty in its pristine self...the freedom is not an escapade, but to trace back the truth of existence before the fall...if necessary, in tearing apart the reality and journeying through the dream...imagining the pue thoughts as the reality...for salvation...as the mother wails...for ruthless indifference of the god...in expressions of blake, she finally answered....That free Love with bondage bound....the priest X taps in the rhythm of the pure soul's subterranean longing...to feel the innocence of delight
    my regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You have added music to the piece. I'm delighted to have this here making the whole thing a kind of orchestra.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I won’t vote

From Deshabhimani , Malayalam weekly Exactly a month from today is the Parliamentary election in my state of Kerala. This time, I’m not going to vote. Bernard Shaw defined democracy , with his characteristic cynicism, as “ a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve .” We elect our government in a democracy. And the government invariably sucks our blood – whichever the party is. The BJP and the Congress are like Tweedledum and Tweedledee though the former makes all sorts of other claims day in and day out. BJP = Congress + the holy cow. The holy cow has turned out to be quite a vampire and that makes a difference, no doubt. In our Prime Minister’s algebra, it is: (a+b) 2 which should be equal to a 2 and b 2 . There is an extra 2ab which is the holy cow. In George Orwell’s Animal Farm , the animals revolt against the human master and set up their own nationalist republic. Soon politics develops in the republic and some pigs become leaders. The porcine

Prelude to AtoZ

  From Garden of 5 Senses, Delhi [file pic] Hindsight gives an unearthly charm and order to the past. There can be pain too. A lot of things could have been different, much better, if only we possessed the wisdom of our old age back in those days. As a writer put it, Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear and a lot of those guys must have thought, “I wish I had known this some time ago.” Life is a series of errors with intermittent achievements. The only usefulness of the errors may be the lessons they teach us. Probably, that is their purpose too. We are created to err so that we learn, I dare to put it that way. I turn 64 in a month’s time. It’s not inappropriate to look back at some of the people whom life brought into my life so that I would learn certain lessons. No, I don’t mean to say that life has any such purpose or design or anything. Life is absurd. People come into your life as haphazardly as vehicles ply on your road or birds poop on your head. Some of these people change the chemist

How Arvind Kejriwal can save himself

Narendra Modi and Amit Shah have a clear vision. Eliminate all opposition. Decimate them or absorb them. My previous post [link below] showed a few people decimated by them. Today let’s look at the others: those who are saved by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP]. 1. Himanta Biswa Sarma  This guy was in Congress and faced serious charges related to the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam. He also faced corruption charges related to drinking water supply in Guwahati. His house was raided by the Central Bureau of Investigation [CBI]. Then he switched over to BJP and all his crimes just vanished. It’s as simple as taking a dip in the Ganga and all your sins are forgiven. Today he is the chief minister of Assam. Nothing is heard of all the charges that were levelled against him. 2. Amarinder Singh  This former Captain in the Indian Army was a Congressman until Modi’s Enforcement Directorate [ED] started raiding him, his son and his son-in-law. He put an end to all those raid

The Good Old World

Book Review Title: Dukhi Dadiba and irony of fate Author: Dadi Edulji Taraporewala Translators: Aban Mukherji and Tulsi Vatsal Publisher: Ratna Books, Delhi, 2023 Pages: 314 If you want to return to the good old days of the late 19 th century, this is an ideal novel for you. This was published originally in Gujarati in 1913. It appeared as a serial before that from 1898 onwards in a periodical. The conflict between good and evil is the dominant motif though there is romance, betrayal, disappointment, regret, and pretty much of traditional morality. Reading this novel is quite like watching an old Bollywood movie, 1960s style. Ardeshir Bahadurshah, a wealthy Parsi aristocrat in Surat, dies having obligated his son Jehangir to find out his long-lost brother Rustom. Rustom was Bahadurshah’s son in his first marriage. The mother died when the boy was too small and the nurse who looked after the child vanished with it one day. Ratanmai, Bahadurshah’s present wife, takes her

Good Friday and Some Arithmetic

Two and two is not always equal to four, my young friend Tony says. 2 + 2 ≠ 4, he reasserts. Tony doesn’t think linearly though his thinking has the precision of mathematical logic. See these two, Tony offers an illustration, Narendra Modi and Amit Shah. Then add another 2 to them, Ambani and Adani. What do you get? I smile in answer. It’s dangerous to answer Tony verbally. Now, Tony continues, let’s take two beggars from the street. And then add you and me, another two, to them. What do you get? Tony goes on with more arithmetic because he thinks I didn’t get it. (Modi + Shah) + (Ambani + Adani) = 4 persons (Beggar 1 + Beggar 2) + (You + I) = 4 persons Is the first 4 equal to the second 4? T oday is Good Friday. Good Fridays are sad because they are about the victory of vicious political power over simple goodness. Just a few days back, on what’s known as Palm Sunday among Christians, Jesus was led like a hero to Jerusalem, a political fulcrum in those days, by a hu