Skip to main content

How to make the world a better place



 "You need to have a fundamental assumption that either the people are essentially good or they are evil," my colleague and a sociology lecturer counselled me. I was in my late thirties and struggling with a protracted depression. He was giving me a choice between Thomas Hobbes and Jean-Jacques Rousseau. 

Hobbes believed that human nature was fundamentally wicked. Without the rigours of the law, we would all be self-centred savages. Rousseau, on the other hand, declared that in our heart of hearts we are all good. If civilisation was the redeeming force for Hobbes, the same civilisation ruined people in Rousseau's philosophy. Man is born free and good but the institutions of civilisation enslave him everywhere, Rousseau wrote. 

I chose Rousseau when my counsellor-friend demanded. The events that had led to my depression had made me feel that I was the only worthless creature in the whole cosmos. I had become the metaphorical drum in the marketplace. Everyone who passed by loved to beat it. I accepted the beating assuming that I deserved them all. I was so bad. Logically, the others were good. Rousseau was right. People were good. I was an aberration. 

That didn't work, however. It doesn't work that way, I learnt later. Our worldviews are shaped by our experiences rather than by our gods or philosophers or poets. My experiences made me a cynic. I remained a cynic for the rest of my life once I overcame that bout of depression. 

Now, a quarter of a century after I redeemed myself from the musicians of the marketplace, I am an aging man sobered and mellowed by life's variegated melodies. I don't always look around for a coffin when I smell roses. I accept the possibility of a garden nearby. 

I accepted Yamini MacLean's book suggestion without a second thought on a sober and mellow afternoon last month. Humankind: A Hopeful History by Rutger Bregman. The cynic in me lay low while I read it over the last month enjoying every bit of it. A lot of material from this book seeped into my writings last month. 

Bregman is a greater optimist than Rousseau. People are good at heart, he is sure. The environment with its systems and demands may make us do evil things. The Holocaust was real. Stalin's gulags were inhuman. Human skulls in thousands stare at us from the mass graves dug by Pol Pot's men. Yet Bregman is convinced that human nature is essentially good. 

The book is a treatise on that theme: people are essentially good. Bregman goes on to show us precisely that. His thesis begins with the premise that homo sapiens prevailed over the other hominins like the Neanderthals precisely because the sapiens were more cooperative. The success of the sapiens is the survival of the friendliest version of hominins. 

Friendliness and cooperation are more natural to the human species than aggression and selfishness. Bregman inspires us with examples from various places. He disproves many of the established theories and experiments in psychology which taught us wrong things about human nature. He questions a lot of our convictions and beliefs. For example, he shows us how empathy is not a good thing at all. We learn from him why power corrupts. And what the Enlightenment got wrong.

Finally Bregman leaves us with a grand vision and a grander dream. The vision of a world of benign people. A world without "hate, injustice and prejudice." All that we need to do is change certain systems. Like capitalism, for example. The punitive legal system, for another. And our vindictive gods too. 

I loved the book for what it is: a grand dream. Bregman's previous bestselling book was Utopia for Realists. I haven't read it. I'm not going to either. Utopia belongs to dreams. I am a realist. 

Bregman's realism is actually idealism dressed in wonderful polemics. His success is the book's ability to convince us of humankind's intrinsic decency, if not goodness. 

I highly recommend this book to everyone. It is far more persuasive and inspiring than all the holy books I have read (and I have read quite a few of them). It gives us dreams. It offers us a paradise. It sounds good. Too good. 


Comments

  1. Hari OM
    I am heartened that you completed this book. It was recommended as a foil of balance against darkeness. I am very much a realist, things are what they are... however, I tend to the optimistic view that we can always, with effort, make things better. Idealism may prove elusive, but in striving comes the benefit. The more people who can see that glimmer, the better.

    Thank you for spending time on it... (and I checked out that website linked above - looks a good one! Were I inclinced to return to practice, that looks to be a team worth the joining.) YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is good and much needed. It makes us think of our potential for goodness, the responsibility for it. It makes us think seriously. It offers options and alternatives. But how many people are going to internalise anything of this?

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      The majority of people in this world will never read or be aware of this book... but as it argues, the intrisic goodness of our nature will naturally express and bring out those things addressed. It is already internalised - only requires an outlet. It is there - however, it is not the good which makes the headlines (or at least rarely)... as per your following post. Yxx

      Delete
  2. It seems a complex read but I would like to try to read it. Let's hope I get to it 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it isn't complex. Compared to other books in this category, this is breezy. Enjoyable read.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I read this 'earlier' post after reading 'God's men' for I'm left feeling hopeful, despite the devastation we are all aware of.

    Adding the book to my TBR.

    Thank you for baring your heart and soul in your posts. I'm drawn to the clarity of your thought and spirit.

    Sending you virtual hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Yamini who suggested this book to me. It did change my thinking for the better. I'm glad to have you and her as friends in this space.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Machiavelli the Reverend

Let us go today , you and I, through certain miasmic streets. Nothing will be quite clear along our way because this journey is through some delusions and illusions. You will meet people wearing holy robes and talking about morality and virtues. Some of them will claim to be god’s men and some will make taller claims. Some of them are just amorphous. Invisible. But omnipotent. You can feel their power around you. On you. Oppressing you. Stifling you. Reverend Machiavelli is one such oppressive power. You will meet Franz Kafka somewhere along the way. Joseph K’s ghost will pass by. Remember Joseph K who was arrested one fine morning for a crime that nobody knew anything about? Neither Joseph nor the men who arrest him know why Joseph K is arrested. The power that keeps Joseph K under arrest is invisible. He cannot get answers to his valid questions from the visible agents of that power. He cannot explain himself to that power. Finally, he is taken to a quarry outside the town wher

Levin the good shepherd

AI-generated image The lost sheep and its redeemer form a pet motif in Christianity. Jesus portrayed himself as a good shepherd many times. He said that the good shepherd will leave his 99 sheep in order to bring the lost sheep back to the fold. When he finds the lost sheep, the shepherd is happier about that one sheep than about the 99, Jesus claimed. He was speaking metaphorically. The lost sheep is the sinner in Jesus’ parable. Sin is a departure from the ‘right’ way. Angels raise a toast in heaven whenever a sinner returns to the ‘right’ path [Luke 15:10]. A lot of Catholic priests I know carry some sort of a Redeemer complex in their souls. They love the sinner so much that they cannot rest until they make the angels of God run for their cups of joy. I have also been fortunate to have one such priest-friend whom I shall call Levin in this post. He has befriended me right from the year 1976 when I was a blundering adolescent and he was just one year older than me. He possesse

Nakulan the Outcast

Nakulan was one of the many tenants of Hevendrea . A professor in the botany department of the North Eastern Hill University, he was a very lovable person. Some sense of inferiority complex that came from his caste status made him scoff the very idea of his lovability. He lived with his wife and three children in one of Heavendrea’s many cottages. When he wanted to have a drink, he would walk over to my hut. We sipped our whiskies and discussed Shillong’s intriguing politics or something of the sort while my cassette player crooned gently in the background. Nakulan was more than ten years my senior by age. He taught a subject which had never aroused my interest at any stage of my life. It made no difference to me whether a leaf was pinnately compound or palmately compound. You don’t need to know about anther and stigma in order to understand a flower. My friend Levin would have ascribed my lack of interest in Nakulan’s subject to my egomania. I always thought that Nakulan lived

Octavian the Guru

Octavian was one of my students in college. Being a student of English literature, he had reasons to establish a personal rapport with me. It took me months to realise that the rapport was fake. He was playing a role for the sake of Rev Machiavelli . Octavian was about 20 years old and I was nearly double his age. Yet he could deceive me too easily. The plain truth is that anyone can deceive me as easily even today. I haven’t learnt certain basic lessons of life. Sheer inability. Some people are like that. Levin would say that my egomania and the concomitant hubris prevented my learning of the essential lessons of life. That would have been true in those days when Octavian took me for a farcical ride. By the time that ride was over, I had learnt at least one thing: that my ego was pulped. More than 20 years have passed after that and I haven’t still learnt to manage affairs in the world of people. That’s why I admit my sheer inability to learn some fundamental lessons of life. Th