Skip to main content

New Caste System for India

Mansiya


Mohan Bhagwat, RSS Supremo, has decided that there are no more non-Hindus in India. All Indians are Hindus hereafter. They are classified into 4: (1) the proud Hindu, (2) the reluctant Hindu, (3) the unfriendly Hindu, and (4) the ignorant Hindu. In which class does Mansiya fall?

Mansiya is an atheist from Kerala with Muslim parents and a Hindu husband. She was forced to give up her religion, Islam, when her mother was denied a burial in the Muslim cemetery because Mansiya was a Bharatanatyam dancer. Bharatanatyam is not Islamic, you see. Mansiya had to choose between Islam and Bharatanatyam and she chose the latter. Now a Hindu temple in Kerala has banned her from a 10-day National Festival of Dance and Music because she belongs to a class which does not exist in Mohan Bhagwat’s new system; she is an Ahindu, says the temple.

For the Hindutva Pope, Mansiya is not an Ahindu simply because there are no more Ahindus in the country. But the Hindu temple in Kerala insists that Mansiya is an Ahindu. When will these people agree on one thing?

“They have agreed on one thing, man,” my Marxist friend in the village tells me. “They have agreed to bring back the old caste system in a new form.”

The old caste system was created so that one group of people called Brahmins could suppress and dominate all others, my friend explains. Now Bhagwat is giving us a new caste system in which the Proud Hindus will suppress and dominate all others. All Proud Hindus are RSS men. “No, no women, please,” my friend says. “Women have no place even in front of their gods. Remember the Sabarimala controversy?”

So, the RSS men are the new Brahmins? All other Indians are low caste people. Where does Mansiya with Bharatanatyam as her religion and a Hindu husband whose category is not known yet [Proud/Reluctant/Unfriendly/Ignorant] fall? Where do you fall, my dear reader? I suppose they will dump me among Unfriendly Hindus since I keep questioning the Pope of RSS.

Hinduism is an alchemist of a religion. It had transmuted the Buddha into an incarnation of Vishnu though the Buddha was an atheist who questioned the entire Brahminical system. The Buddha’s fundamental conflict was with the Brahminical oppressions and exploitations and manoeuvres. He ended up as another Brahminical god! That is the alchemical power of Bhagwat’s religion.

I am amused by the comedies provided by this religion. Let me present a few scenes from that comedy as a conclusion to this post. No comments from me. 




And a contrast:

Comments

  1. The treatment meted out to Mansiya is highly unfortunate and exposes the biases those hitherto remained unexposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not moving ahead. We as a nation have been taken back by centuries to the time of small minds, smaller fiefdoms, and constricted personal spaces.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Semantics never changed the world... and here we have semantics of gargantuan proportion. You can get my stance if you care to read this post, where I finally convey what it is that held me back from full committment... I have always been a square peg!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read your post and I share your suppressed pain at the unpleasant turn of the tide in India. One person is enough to change an entire nation into a chaos. India now has that one person. Please continue to be a square peg. That's better than pretending to be a round one. Many of India's intellectuals have become mere pretenders for the sake of survival.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Kerala, the ruling classes of all stripes claiming to be the word class, everybody certificated, no one there is freed from the stripe of caste. I used to write about those Kerala caste shenanigans times ago, now watch the show for fun and entertainment. The show continues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show continues. Unfortunately even the leftists have joined the show and have become comics.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts