Skip to main content

A ride with a ghost

 


Fiction

It was about midnight when I stopped my car near the roadside eatery known as thattukada in Kerala. I still had another 27 kilometres to go, according to Google map. Since I didn’t always trust Google map, I decided to ask one of the few men sipping red tea or black coffee along with some snack at the thattukada. “How far is Anakkad from here?”

Anakkad was my destination, where my friend Varghese lived. He had invited me to spend a day with him in his god-forsaken village on the edge of the Gavi Forest. I love forests. I also love night drives.

“You’ll get good roads until just a few kilometres from Anakkad,” Varghese said meaning that my night drive was no big deal. It was mostly state highway all along and I had nothing to fear.

“But I do want some fear,” I said intending to sound funny. “For example, what if I get a ghost asking for a hitchhike? That’d be good for the next blog post.”

“Make sure that it’s a male ghost,” Varghese laughed. “Female ghosts will add more judicial problems in case you run into trouble.”

Varghese was a hardcore rationalist. One of the reasons why he chose to live in a desolate place far from other human beings is that he detested people’s superstitions and “shameless lack of reason” (in his words).

One of the men who heard me inquire about the distance to Anakkad asked me whether he could get a ride in my car to his destination which was just a few kilometres on the way. I looked at him with some hesitation. I wanted a ghost for a hitchhike, not a disgusting human company. The other men in the thattukada were watching me. I didn’t want to appear inhuman before them, though they all looked rather indifferent about a beggarly man asking for a free lift. “Why not?” I said though the man’s appearance didn’t appeal to me at all. He looked shabby with his unclean dress – mundu and kurta. He had a rather long beard which looked dusty. His hair was a curly mess.

I paid for my cup of lemon tea and got into my car. The shaggy stranger sat in the front seat near me. A rotten stench suffused the car. Or was it just my feeling?

“Until a few years ago there used to be no light on this road,” he said. Did his voice sound tinny? I began to feel quite uncomfortable, if not eerie, with him by my side. “It used to be pitch dark with massive trees on both sides of the road. Only cats could see in such darkness. People hardly used the road at night in those days. Anyway who would go to the forest in the night except smugglers and outlaws?”

I didn’t say anything. I wanted to say something like: “Where are you going at this time of the night without a vehicle?”

He seemed to sense my doubt. “My house is nearby. I’m returning home.” The streetlights ended there, I happened to notice.

Another few minutes and a few kilometres ahead, he asked me to stop the car. “My house is just across the road. Thank you.”

He stood outside the car with the door open and asked me, “Do you believe in ghosts?”

“Eh?” I felt a terrible dread rise from the pit of my stomach.

“I don’t,” he said. And he vanished. Just like that. Without a trace. Leaving the car door open. And the engine of the car shut down. I turned the ignition key but the engine wouldn’t start. Switching off the headlight and turning the parking light on, I got out and looked around. There was a house across the road. There seemed to be a glimmer of light inside it. I walked towards it in spite of my terror. I needed help. Not help, really; I needed human company.

The glimmer of light seemed to dim in that house as I approached it. I stood in the front yard and called, “Anyone in there?” No answer. I repeated the question. Then a cat appeared at window that was open though I had not noticed it earlier. It shrieked an angry meow at me as if telling me to get lost. I ran back to my car.


The car started without any snag this time. My mobile phone showed 3.59 as I stopped the car in front of Varghese’s house beyond which lay a dark and forbidding forest.

Varghese told me to have a good sleep first. He insisted on it. “You need rest.”

I could hardly sleep. The shaggy man, his mention of cats, his question about ghosts and his instant disappearance… and the cat at the window. They wouldn’t let me sleep.

“There was a man living in that house many years ago,” Varghese said as we sat for breakfast later in the morning. “He was known as Poochakkaran, Catman, because of his love for cats. Of course, there were hardly a few people living hereabouts to call anyone by any name. But Poochakkaran could not escape anyone’s attention. With his long hair and beard and dirty clothes.”

“Are you sure he died many years ago?”

“Of course. He died in a vehicle accident. The vehicle belonged to some mafia that smuggled sandalwood from the forest here. One of his cats was also killed with him though no one knows how. Who cares about cats anyway?”

Varghese wouldn’t believe what I told him about my hitchhiker and the cat at the window. “That man’s house is a dilapidated mess today as you can see if you visit.” He insisted on our visiting it just then.

In a few minutes, we stood in front of that same house in whose front yard I had stood last night. The window that was open in the night remained shut now. Not just shut. It had never been opened for years. It was a heap of white ants’ nests.

Varghese continues to be a rationalist. I continue to be a sceptic.

“Your mind can create ghosts and gods and anything,” Varghese insists.

I recall the brown stretches of white ants’ nests and nod my head.

 

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    ooooo wwwooooo hhoooowhhooooooo??!!! Had me reading intently! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! What a chilling tale! Gave me goosebumps! You ought to take up writing horror stories on a regular basis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jai. Fiction comes with much difficulty to me these days.

      Delete
  3. It was nice to read about poochakkaran sitting in the daylight clarity of my home. Thinking of me anywhere along that route, even in the daylight, never. A very realistic fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you enjoy night driving? I do. But I prefer to have my wife with me also.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed reading and chose quite a wrong time of the day to read. My sleeps gone now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goosebumps! You say it's fiction but it read spookily like reality!! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arti. My fascination with night roads and deserted places must have added to that realism.

      Delete
  6. The story was playing like a movie, frame by frame, in my mind :-). I enjoyed every line. Pls come up with more such stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PR. I'll definitely try to write some more ghost tales. Let me come across some more of them during my night drives :)

      Delete
  7. "Not help, really; I needed human company. "- hit me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the