Skip to main content

Countdown to a Marathon


I realise that I’m becoming utterly lazy these days especially when it comes to writing. Even reading. Earlier, I used to blog almost daily. Then it became an alternate-day affair, then twice a week, and now there’s no order whatever. Similarly, I spend less time on reading too. So, I have decided to give a kick to myself and rouse my spirit up. That’s why I’m joining Blogchatter’s exercise called Half Marathon.

It begins tomorrow. Ten posts in 15 days is all what it demands. Fairly easy, if not a child’s game. But the problem is when you’re nearly a burnt-out case. Have you read that novel, by the way: Graham Greene’s A Burnt-Out Case [1961]? It’s worth your time.

The novel tells the story of Querry, famous architect, who loses interest in life. He quits and lands in a leper colony in Congo which is looked after by some Catholic missionaries. He is diagnosed by Dr Colin, an atheist doctor, as the medical equivalent of a ‘burnt-out case’: a leper who has gone through the stages of mutilation. As days move one, Querry begins to discover meaning in working for the lepers in the colony.

However, his past haunts him soon enough. The people in the colony now know that he is a famous architect who designed many famous churches which, according to him, were all defiled by the religious occupants. Querry is then persuaded to design and oversee the construction of a hospital building in the colony.

He has a sordid past too. He was a womaniser and his former love committed suicide because of him. Querry is not quite happy with all the stories about him being spread all over by a journalist. He leaves the place but is accompanied by Mrs Rycker who has her own personal problems. This woman messes up Querry’s life rather unwittingly and the end result is a tragedy. 

When I thought of my situation nowadays, my loss of interest in reading and blogging, the first person who popped up in my consciousness was Querry. I hear his last laughter as Mr Rycker cocks his pistol against his burnt-out heart. That laughter wakes me up from bed at 4 this morning. And then, after all the dilly-dallying and shilly-shallying, I sit at my study table and start typing. I realise that I’m becoming utterly lazy these days…

I decide to embark on this journey with The Blogchatter. What am I going to write about? I don’t know yet. But I know there’s the whole infinite world of literature from which I can always pick up a few pearls and bring them here. Like this post, for instance.

We can learn a lot from literature, can’t we? Or, as Graham Greene puts it in A Burnt-Out Case:

            What strange ideas people have about leprosy, doctor!”

            “They learn it from the Bible. Like sex.”

            “It’s a pity people pick and choose what they learn from the Bible.”

I’m going to do some picking and choosing. But not from the Bible. From literature. That’s how I’m finding the content for the Marathon. You’re most welcome to join me on this literary journey.

Comments

  1. If you're feeling burnt out, it might be time to step away, if only for a bit. I think we're all a bit exhausted of late. Nothing wrong with that. Rest tends to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you get right back into the fire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    ...or is it a case of getting back in the saddle after a fall from the horse? I read quite a bit of GG when I was younger. Not sure I'd have the patience for him these days, but it doesn't surprise me, having come to know your interests, that this particular book and character have stuck with you! I wish you well on taking up the writing marathon and look forward to what comes. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Yam. It's really not a burn-out. I feel a bit overworked and also overwhelmed by certain events...

      Delete
  4. That's great , waiting for your upcoming posts, Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Resort with a View

A view from the Hilltop Resort, Karimkunnam A cousin of mine invited me yesterday to the inauguration of his new venture, a resort. Hilltop Resort at a place called Karimkunnam on Thodupuzha-Pala Road. Karimkunnam is a place on whose hills my boyhood found abundant delights because my mother’s brothers were living in those hills. A few hills belonged to the family entirely. There were rubber trees all over the hills in those days. Rubber has lost its glory among Malayalis now for various reasons. First of all, there isn’t much money in it now. The labour charges are so high in Kerala that the landowner will be left with little more than the cool shade of the rubber trees after the rubber is sold in any form – latex, solid blocks or sheets. No wonder my cousin chopped down all the rubber trees and built a resort there on his hill. It is quite an exotic place whose rustic charm will seep into your heart along with the cool breeze in the evening. You have verdant mountains all aroun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Remedios the Beauty and Innocence

  Remedios the Beauty is a character in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude . Like most members of her family, she too belongs to solitude. But unlike others, she is very innocent too. Physically she is the most beautiful woman ever seen in Macondo, the place where the story of her family unfolds. Is that beauty a reflection of her innocence? Well, Marquez doesn’t suggest that explicitly. But there is an implication to that effect. Innocence does make people look charming. What else is the charm of children? Remedios’s beauty is dangerous, however. She is warned by her great grandmother, who is losing her eyesight, not to appear before men. The girl’s beauty coupled with her innocence will have disastrous effects on men. But Remedios is unaware of “her irreparable fate as a disturbing woman.” She is too innocent to know such things though she is an adult physically. Every time she appears before outsiders she causes a panic of exasperation. To make mat

The Little Girl

The Little Girl is a short story by Katherine Mansfield given in the class 9 English course of NCERT. Maggie gave an assignment to her students based on the story and one of her students, Athena Baby Sabu, presented a brilliant job. She converted the story into a delightful comic strip. Mansfield tells the story of Kezia who is the eponymous little girl. Kezia is scared of her father who wields a lot of control on the entire family. She is punished severely for an unwitting mistake which makes her even more scared of her father. Her grandmother is fond of her and is her emotional succour. The grandmother is away from home one day with Kezia's mother who is hospitalised. Kezia gets her usual nightmare and is terrified. There is no one at home to console her except her father from whom she does not expect any consolation. But the father rises to the occasion and lets the little girl sleep beside him that night. She rests her head on her father's chest and can feel his heart

I wandered lonely as a cloud

Fiction Something was amiss on top of the hill. I sensed it in my veins. My veins are the primary source of my awareness. As well as the little wisdom I’m gathering as I go on. I’m not wise. I’m just 30 years young. And I’m going to tell you a story about a woman who is just ten more years older than me. But she has grey hairs all over her head now. Her name is Sujata. I learnt that when I was a ten-year-old boy who was driven by the kind of curiosity that killed the proverbial cat. I was living in the valley whose sunset was always blocked by the hill in the west. That entire hill belonged to one family. Aristocratic family, my mother told me. The history of their aristocracy went back to some Aryan invasion and all that stuff. History never enthused me. But heights did. My history teacher told us about the Eiffel Tower that day in class. The tallest tower in the world. About its 1665 steps. About the grand vision it provided from its height. I imagined myself running up 1665 st