Skip to main content

As Flies to Wanton Boys

Fiction 






She looked so emaciated that I would have mistaken her for a beggar. But she had said, “Hi Tom.” There was no way a beggar would know my name since I was not a politician or any such public figure that appears in the media. Moreover, her dress, a simple but elegant churidar suit, bore the fading shades of some bygone aristocracy. I stared into her eyes, deep and stagnant pools of grief, which reflected a different me, a young me.

 “Mercy!” I cried.

“Yes,” she said. And she smiled like a moonbeam trying to pierce the winter fog of a terribly polluted city-sky.

We were both sitting in a park in the horizon of which the sun was sinking rapidly into the Arabian Ocean beyond the trees in the park. An old man with grey hairs all over his head and face: that’s me. And an old woman with grey hairs that seemed to be lingering on out of some sympathy. That was Mercy.

Mercy and I were classmates at college. She was a brilliant student who could solve all the problems of real analysis and coordinate geometry with the grace of a beauty queen ambling the ramp. I admired her in those days. But I kept a distance from her as I was scared of the brilliance of her mind.

Where had all that brilliance gone? I wondered as I stared into the stagnant pools of her deep-set eyes.

“What a tragedy life is, Tom!” She said with a wry sigh. I couldn’t make out whether she was sad or happy when she defined life as a tragedy with a sigh that sounded comic. “Do you remember how Menon Sir used to repeat time and again those lines from King Lear? As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods: they kill us for their sport.”  Menon Sir was our favourite English lecturer.

Mercy narrated to me her story. She was married off as soon as she graduated. No one cared to pay heed to her wish for a job. A woman’s job is to look after her husband and children, they told her explicitly. Even Saint Paul had said that in the Bible. Submit yourselves to your husbands, that’s what Paul said among many other equally patriarchal things. Mercy obeyed. She had no choice. Moreover, her beloved aunt told her that given the brilliance of her brains her husband would treat her like a queen.

“Queen!” Mercy chuckled. Sadly. “I was his slave. Worse, in fact. He would beat me for any silly thing like cleaning up the space below our bed where he used to keep all sorts of things like spanner sets and hacksaw blades.... Now that he's no more, the bedroom is serene."

Their son turned out to be just like the father. “But the daughter was a bit like me,” Mercy said. “Jennifer was intelligent. She was a rebel.”

Jennifer fell in love with a boy who was a Hindu. There was a commotion in the family and outside as well when she asserted her right to marry a man of her choice. Even Mercy questioned her choice. “A Hindu? Couldn’t you find a Christian, if not a Catholic?” Mercy echoed the family’s sentiments. Religious sentiments are like touch-me-nots.

“What did a Catholic husband do to you, Mom?” Jennifer asked. “Treated you like scum. And gave you a son and a daughter. What more?” She spat out. “I wonder how you lay supine beneath that filth called your Catholic husband and let him eject his venom into your innards.”

Mercy laughed as she quoted her daughter to me. The sun had sunk beyond the horizon. The Arabian Ocean must have turned turbulent beyond the massive trees in the park. I could sense the turbulence in my veins. Only, I didn’t realise that the turbulence was raging just next to me.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this poignant and introspective narrative. It beautifully captures the contrast between past ideals and present realities, painting a vivid picture of personal disillusionment and the impact of societal expectations. Mercy's story is both heartbreaking and thought-provoking, reflecting on the complexities of life, love, and the sacrifices made in the name of tradition and duty.

    I’d love for you to check out my latest blog post on melodyjacob.com. I think you might find it engaging and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melody, welcome in this space. I'll definitely visit your blog.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    The fate of endless, truly countless women throughout the ages. Blessings upon the man who understands... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throughout the ages... in spite of countless slogans like Beti Bachao...

      Delete
  3. A reflection of our times immemorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad when women are forced into marriages they do not want and away from careers that they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The situation has improved. Jennifer in the story is the new gen.

      Delete
  5. Very sad. Our society needs more evolving time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the evolution too slow now? Rather, are we regressing?

      Delete
    2. Feel free to read my blog: felixanoopthekkekara.blogspot.com.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Sir, the blog was fantastic. Mercy's story was indeed heart touching. loved the way you presented it.
    Sir, I would also like to invite you to read my blogs
    felixanoopthekkekara.blogspot.com. Feel free to express your thoughts and all those who are reading the comment can also join if you are interested in reading blogs created by a 16-year-old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is an absolutely fantastic beginning, dear Felix. Go ahead. I'm with you.

      Delete
  7. Talking about Apostle Paul. I once I had conversation with an Lutheran minister. He agree with my the paul was bi-polar.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul definitely had serious psychological problems. All saints are cranky if not blatantly insane.

      Delete
  8. Like Mercy,many other brilliant lives too must have gone to waste.What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full many a flower is born to blush unseen and waste its sweetness in the desert air, as Thomas Gray put it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Resort with a View

A view from the Hilltop Resort, Karimkunnam A cousin of mine invited me yesterday to the inauguration of his new venture, a resort. Hilltop Resort at a place called Karimkunnam on Thodupuzha-Pala Road. Karimkunnam is a place on whose hills my boyhood found abundant delights because my mother’s brothers were living in those hills. A few hills belonged to the family entirely. There were rubber trees all over the hills in those days. Rubber has lost its glory among Malayalis now for various reasons. First of all, there isn’t much money in it now. The labour charges are so high in Kerala that the landowner will be left with little more than the cool shade of the rubber trees after the rubber is sold in any form – latex, solid blocks or sheets. No wonder my cousin chopped down all the rubber trees and built a resort there on his hill. It is quite an exotic place whose rustic charm will seep into your heart along with the cool breeze in the evening. You have verdant mountains all aroun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Remedios the Beauty and Innocence

  Remedios the Beauty is a character in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude . Like most members of her family, she too belongs to solitude. But unlike others, she is very innocent too. Physically she is the most beautiful woman ever seen in Macondo, the place where the story of her family unfolds. Is that beauty a reflection of her innocence? Well, Marquez doesn’t suggest that explicitly. But there is an implication to that effect. Innocence does make people look charming. What else is the charm of children? Remedios’s beauty is dangerous, however. She is warned by her great grandmother, who is losing her eyesight, not to appear before men. The girl’s beauty coupled with her innocence will have disastrous effects on men. But Remedios is unaware of “her irreparable fate as a disturbing woman.” She is too innocent to know such things though she is an adult physically. Every time she appears before outsiders she causes a panic of exasperation. To make mat

The Little Girl

The Little Girl is a short story by Katherine Mansfield given in the class 9 English course of NCERT. Maggie gave an assignment to her students based on the story and one of her students, Athena Baby Sabu, presented a brilliant job. She converted the story into a delightful comic strip. Mansfield tells the story of Kezia who is the eponymous little girl. Kezia is scared of her father who wields a lot of control on the entire family. She is punished severely for an unwitting mistake which makes her even more scared of her father. Her grandmother is fond of her and is her emotional succour. The grandmother is away from home one day with Kezia's mother who is hospitalised. Kezia gets her usual nightmare and is terrified. There is no one at home to console her except her father from whom she does not expect any consolation. But the father rises to the occasion and lets the little girl sleep beside him that night. She rests her head on her father's chest and can feel his heart

I wandered lonely as a cloud

Fiction Something was amiss on top of the hill. I sensed it in my veins. My veins are the primary source of my awareness. As well as the little wisdom I’m gathering as I go on. I’m not wise. I’m just 30 years young. And I’m going to tell you a story about a woman who is just ten more years older than me. But she has grey hairs all over her head now. Her name is Sujata. I learnt that when I was a ten-year-old boy who was driven by the kind of curiosity that killed the proverbial cat. I was living in the valley whose sunset was always blocked by the hill in the west. That entire hill belonged to one family. Aristocratic family, my mother told me. The history of their aristocracy went back to some Aryan invasion and all that stuff. History never enthused me. But heights did. My history teacher told us about the Eiffel Tower that day in class. The tallest tower in the world. About its 1665 steps. About the grand vision it provided from its height. I imagined myself running up 1665 st