Skip to main content

Love: the ultimate meaning

'Eternal Love' by Carmen Guedez


Love is the ultimate assertion of life. Nothing says ‘yes’ to life more genially than love and nothing renders life more meaningful than a firm ‘yes’ to it. Love is a benign acceptance of the given reality. Once the reality is accepted, it can be transmuted too. Love is a miracle. It can change arid deserts into breath-taking oases. Love is the fairy kiss that transforms the monster into beauty.
Meaning of life is inextricably related to our attitudes. Meaning is an attitude to the given reality. Reality always demands a response from us. Within my given reality, I must take a stand. I have to live and act within the position I take. I can take the stand of the follower or the leader, optimist or pessimist, sceptic or cynic, whatever. Reality demands a stand.
My stand shapes and colours my experiences, behaviour and action. Those who reached the heights of understanding knew that love was the ultimate response to reality. Love is a divine response, so to say. The Buddha and the Christ, the Mahatma and all genuine teachers of mankind were motivated by the boundless love they bore in their hearts.
When you love someone, you accept that person as he or she is. Your love may transmute that person eventually. That’s also an important factor of love. Love transmutes. Love changes the hell into heaven, the monster into a saint, noise into music.
There is no greater melody than love. Beethoven and Mozart will give way to new geniuses. Shakespeare’s genius will be surpassed by other writers of similar calibre. The Taj Mahal’s resplendence will find its rival in better architecture. Michelangelo and Da Vinci will merge into the miasma of history. The Buddha and the Christ will continue to sway human imaginations. Love has no death.
Love gives you the deepest and the most meaningful relationship with the reality around you, however painful that reality is. Love enables you to listen to the muffled voices of that reality. The breadth of your experience is infinitely multiplied by your empathy with others. Love enables you to suffer with the suffering and rejoice with the joyful, as John Powell said. It gives you a new life every springtime. It makes you feel the impact of the great mysteries of life: birth, growth, suffering and death. Your heart skips along with young lovers and you experience the exhilaration that is in them. You know the ghetto’s philosophy of despair and the sage’s peaks of ecstasy. Love makes flowers bloom on your way and enables you to accept the thorns among those flowers too. Love is the music that moves the planets in their orbits and your heart resonates with the same music.
One of the best passages on love can be found in the Bible: 1 Corinthians 13.  I may be a powerful orator who can speak in the tongues of angels, but I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal if there is no love in my heart. Even if I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all the mysteries and all knowledge, and even if I have faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not self-seeking, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Always. Love is eternal. Perhaps, that is the only eternal thing we have. What better meaning do you want for your life?
  
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa

This post is the last in a series on Meaning of Life.



Comments

  1. Love is wisdom. Love is not accessible to the materialists. Personally, I have experienced the reward of love after I stopped expecting it from others and started accepting people for what they are and fulfilling their expectations as much as possible. In fact, I have kissed the hearts of several monsters and found the angels in them without any transmutation. What was transmuted was the monster in me into a beautiful angel. Now I am considered an angel by many around me. I can see myself happier than ever. What else will be the reward for love! Thanks, my love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best comment I have received in this whole series. Thank you for that, first of all.

      Touching hearts is the best thing anyone, especially a teacher, can do. That's not easy. We have to let go ourselves. And stop expecting anything in return from others. In fact, the returns may be just the opposite of what we expect. Such is love. But the rewards we reap for ourselves will be great. That's our benefit. I'm glad you've reached that stage.

      Delete
    2. This is the best comment I have received in this whole series.


      What a privilege, sir! Thank you. :)

      Delete
    3. Love is a response thru action..It takes different hues and shapes and meaning ...From one spectrum to the other...As Tomichan illustrated...

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post.. You have penned down beautifully.. Loved reading it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. And yes love does change people for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautifully written post. Loved it. Love is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I simply loved this post. In my opinion one must find love in everything around. Love what you do. I think that can give you more positive energy than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But sir, the world has changed to the conclusion that love has no value. What can u contradict between Love and the present Society??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love will continue to be a human value as long as humanity exists. Right now humanity is in a phase of degradation. The cycle will turn in due course of time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts