Skip to main content

Que Será, Será


Que Sera, Sera (What will be, will be) is a song from the 1956 Hitchcock movie, The Man Who Knew Too Much. As a child, the singer asked her mother what she would be? Would she be pretty and rich? And mother’s reply was: Que sera, sera. The future’s not ours to see, she added. When the girl grew up and became a young woman, she repeated the question with a slight change to her sweetheart and the reply was the same. Once again, the question is repeated. This time it comes from her children. And she gives them too the same answer.

This song has started playing again and again in my mind these days. I imagine a girl who is not so little – let’s call her Sara – and who is not quite happy with that answer.

“Imagine those two little kids in the Kiev flat, left there by their 20-year-old mother for nine days without food and one of whom died,” Sara tells me with tears welling up in her eyes.

Sara has a genuine concern about our world. “What will be is what we make it to be,” she tells me vehemently. Why did Russia do this to hundreds of thousands of people? Should those hundreds of thousands just sit looking at the ruins of their lives consoling themselves singing “Que sera, sera”?

The images of people staring in frustration at the debris of their bombarded houses rise in my mind. Haven’t we been doing this to each other all the time? I wonder. Look at the 20th century. Two World Wars. And so many other smaller wars and acts of terrorism and violence. It was also the best century in many other ways. The best of times and the worst of times, Dickens would have said. It was born in hope but developed in disaster. There was so much creativity, effort, technical resourcefulness, more freedom than ever, more human rights… But also the most destructive wars, most inhuman massacres, gaping extremes of wealth and poverty, foulest environmental degradation, the most trash, the cruellest disillusionment. It promised much and betrayed more.*

Did the 20th century sustain the philosophy of Que sera, sera? Or did it mock it?

Sara reminds me of what is happening in our own neighbourhood: Sri Lanka, Nepal and Pakistan. Are we far from a similar fate? Sara asks me with sorrow in her deep dark eyes. She advises me to check my accounts. What I spend on petrol these days, for example. On grocery and other necessary items. “Isn’t that how it all started in Sri Lanka too?”

The future is ours to see, Sara tells me. If only we care to open our eyes. Look at our leaders who are all blinded by hatred. Sara cites example after example. Sadhvi Ritambhara tells Hindus to have four children, two of whom should be given to RSS or Bajrang Dal. A Dalit boy is assaulted and forced to lick the feet of people who call themselves Thakurs in a state governed by an ascetic whose heart is filled with poison. A Dalit woman-journalist is abused, threatened with death for questioning the Manusmriti.

Sara’s list is long, too long.

I hold her close to me. I have no words to answer her questions. I am left with nothing more than this gentle hug, Sara, which just means that I am with you. That’s all. I am with you in this.

* These lines are adapted from the book, Civilizations, by Felipe Fernandez-Armesto.

PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous Post: Paradises Lost

Comments

  1. :( I feel like Sara many a times - thats a lovely fav song, I play every day for daughter but now the perspective is different. Seriously is there nothing to be done ? should whatever will be will always be the same? Same questions parading my mind!


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are passing through bleak times.. And, worst of all, our leaders have no clue about solutions - they are problems themselves.

      Delete
  2. Que Sera Sera used to be my favorite song once upon a time. Now it just reeks of resignation.. of giving up too soon, of not putting up a fight.
    But when I think about what Sara said, I wonder what fight could those Ukranian kids possibly put up? Was that their destiny. Or is fate running on a theory of randomness?
    Questions that grieve the mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of questions. Seemingly without answers. A lot of these questions - the problems that raise the questions - are created by silly people with ostensibly big ideals. My tomorrow's post in this A2Z series is on that: Raina's Romance.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    We have both asked questions of our race, in today's posts - but yours is so much more eloquent than mine! I might explain my lack being due to the very weight of the question/s posed by "Sara"... and that the answers are beyond any single person to provide. YAM xx
    Q=Query

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough world ours is. Both you and I know the answers but those answers are useless.

      Delete
  4. One of my favourite songs, but as you said, looking at the state of the world today, the words seem rather dire. As old timers did predict, this is Kali Yuga, the era when evil overshadows good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read on Twitter, it is high time this world ended. Maybe that is the only solution left, to start with a clean slate

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hard hitting post that urges me to introspect. Despite the carnage, it's the hope in your offer of a hug for Sara-- the fact that we do stand by each other still--that I choose to take away. Thank you for writing the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have students belonging to three different religions and they are all equally important to me. I have learnt to love all. I can hug, not hate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts