Skip to main content

Jacques the Fatalist in Jaiaw

My first colleagues in Jaiaw - I'm there too!


Jacques is the eponymous character in Denis Diderot’s novel whose full title is Jacques the Fatalist and his Master. As the title indicates, Jacques is a fatalist who believes that whatever happens to us, good or evil, has been written up above on a great scroll that is unrolled bit by bit. Jaiaw is a small part of the hill town of Shillong, capital of Meghalaya. Jacques and Jaiaw have nothing in common except what I am forging here in this post.

Fatalism is quite a fatal thing. If everything is already written by some omniscient and omnipotent power that is sitting up there like a grand ringmaster of a circus being staged below here, then we have as much freedom as a beast in the circus ring. We’d be doing just what the master wants us to do, what he has trained us to do, and little more. But Jacques is not such a passive character who lets his destiny unfold bit by bit. He takes decisions. He is as independent as he possibly can be. He teaches his master many vital lessons of life. At one point, he tells his master that he, the valet, is the real master because the master is so dependent on him for too many things.

Diderot’s novel is full of such paradoxes. The master-valet relationship is inverted many a time. There are two men in the novel who are the best of friends but who will enter into duel after duel when they quarrel and wound each other. There is Father Hudson who is a Church reformer in public but is the novel’s most debauched character in private life.

People are paradoxical. Is it because certain things are in the DNA and those are beyond the individual’s control? I don’t know the answer. But my personal life seems to say yes to the question. And that’s where Jaiaw claims Jacques the Fatalist.

I worked in a school in Jaiaw for eight years. I started my teaching career there. It was a girls school and hence the job was easy as well as pleasant. I was a young man in his twenties, you see. Most of my colleagues were female too. They, being the Khasi tribal people of Shillong, were unpretentious and straightforward unlike most of the plainspeople I was familiar with. My students were all tribals too with a few exceptions. The job was easy and pleasant with such people around.

But Jaiaw as a place was quite the opposite. There was a constant and palpable tang of hostility in its air. The menfolk among the Khasis were not quite happy with outsiders especially in those days – the 1980s. The men, particularly the young ones, had a feeling that their jobs were being taken away by outsiders like me whom they contemptuously called ‘dkhar’. I could feel their hatred in their looks. They didn’t hesitate to call me ‘dkhar’ to my face whenever they got me alone on a street or a by lane. I was assaulted physically once on my way to school though not too violently.

Today, looking back at the eight years I spent in Jaiaw, I wonder what made me stick to that place. Fate? I could have abandoned that job and found another in some other place. There was something in my DNA that made me cling to Jaiaw like a barnacle clinging to its rock as if that was the only existence it could ever have. If only I had just left that rock!

My next job as a lecturer at St Edmund’s College of Shillong was worse. If Jaiaw gave me all the delights of the teaching career which could be a reason for my barnacle-like clinging, Edmund’s offered me absolutely nothing for becoming another barnacle for seven more years. My God! I wasted the most precious years of my life in a place which sends shivers down my spine now when I turn back like Lot’s wife.

Those shivers are what make me believe in Jacque’s fatalism. You can’t erase your experiences and the indelible marks left by them in your psyche. They shape your thinking more than anything else. All the philosophy you’ve learnt, all the self-help strategies you’ve stored up, and all the smiles your old age is able to gather with its sobriety, if not gracefulness, fail to mellow certain genes in the marrow of your bones. Those genes are your fate. You never had any choice about them. And they do control your life like a ringmaster to a great extent.

PS. I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z 

Previous Post: The Idiot

Tomorrow: Keeper of my brother

 

Comments

  1. Sometimes we do not have any control and sometimes we realize certain truths only when we turn back and analyze. It was great to know about your personal struggles and how those experiences helped shape your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to look at life as a series of blunders we commit unwittingly and the lessons we learn from them painfully.

      Delete
  2. What powerful posts u write! Love reading them . Even after assault u stayed there :-o you are brave...and also shows ur love for the job! So the college job was not up to ur liking but u still stayed there? Nyway am sure it was a great learning for u

    Last para..these lines. ..Those genes are your fate. You never had any choice about them. And they do control your life like a ringmaster to a great extent., feel so true!!

    Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved teaching. But what bothers me when I look back is why I thought that I wouldn't get a good teaching job in another place. Why it took me 15 years to shift to Delhi and get into one of the best schools there. That's fate. Inexplicable but dormant in the DNA. I'm using dna metaphorically, of course.

      Delete
  3. I fight this battle everyday. I always feel those who are extremely popular/rich/famous, for instance are destined to be and we could try but if we are not destined, will remain where we are. Yet I try. And at the same time, realise the futility of it. This is a constant tug of war. I loved your post. There's so much I could talk about the decisions I took (or rather destiny made me take)....perhaps, some other day at another time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to reach your blog. Why not give me the link?

      Delete
  4. May be, that paradoxes makes the human life interesting (or frustrating). There is a wrestling between good and bad in the society. As long as good wins, society will be calm. Everyone of us are equally Gods and equally Lucifers. When Godness wins, we shines, When Lucifer wins, may be, we spread dark.

    I recall a Doctor character played by Nagesh in Tamil Movie 'apoorva ragangal' by Balachander. He will be the philosopher for the heroine. At the same time, he himself will be the worst drunkard in his personal life. Whenever he got caught, he will escape by saying, 'I'm Doctor's brother!'

    Another thought provoking article. Thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paradoxes make life both interesting and frustrating. Perhaps, that's God's joke. The truth is I don't believe in God. So whose joke is the universe? Nobody's. Joke is the essence of the universe. My beloved philosopher Camus called it Absurd.

      Delete
  5. Being at the center of hatred is such a dreadful thing and that too for 7 long years and 8 later on. Isn't is the raw courage that you posses? Isnt it your own quality rahter than something wired in genes or DNA? You are a brave heart for sure.
    Thanks Tomichan for visiting my blog inspite of the fact that it was difficult to find. Highly indebted. And I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience it caused. I will look into the matter and change the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure about this, Anagha. Quite a lot of things are in our genes, I'm sure. Science will agree. And we can't change them. My inability to judge people rightly and to adapt myself to given situations is part of my genes, I'm convinced. I stay away from society now. I'm not brave. I lack social intelligence.

      Delete
  6. Some decisions we made are dependant on our frame of mind then. While in retrospection it is based on our current state and so it takes a different perspective, correct ? Seems to have been an adventurous and somewhat dangerous tenure too at Jaiaw.

    Visiting from A to Z

    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right. Hindsight creates new pasts.

      Jaiaw did give me a lot of life-threatening situations. Anti-outsider riots were common in Shillong and Jaiaw was the first place to be affected by the hate wave. I survived. I don't even consider that luck. That's my problem, perhaps. And that attitude is my luck, perhaps.

      Delete
  7. I do believe in fate. If nothing else it's a consolation that you're doing everything right and there are some unexplained forces that are responsible for what you cannot control. In fact, I think it should be like that. Because the control freaks of our world need to know that they cannot dictate everything. Hats off to your tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some things should remain beyond one's control. Otherwise we would all be gods playing with the fates of others.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I won’t vote

From Deshabhimani , Malayalam weekly Exactly a month from today is the Parliamentary election in my state of Kerala. This time, I’m not going to vote. Bernard Shaw defined democracy , with his characteristic cynicism, as “ a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve .” We elect our government in a democracy. And the government invariably sucks our blood – whichever the party is. The BJP and the Congress are like Tweedledum and Tweedledee though the former makes all sorts of other claims day in and day out. BJP = Congress + the holy cow. The holy cow has turned out to be quite a vampire and that makes a difference, no doubt. In our Prime Minister’s algebra, it is: (a+b) 2 which should be equal to a 2 and b 2 . There is an extra 2ab which is the holy cow. In George Orwell’s Animal Farm , the animals revolt against the human master and set up their own nationalist republic. Soon politics develops in the republic and some pigs become leaders. The porcine

Prelude to AtoZ

  From Garden of 5 Senses, Delhi [file pic] Hindsight gives an unearthly charm and order to the past. There can be pain too. A lot of things could have been different, much better, if only we possessed the wisdom of our old age back in those days. As a writer put it, Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear and a lot of those guys must have thought, “I wish I had known this some time ago.” Life is a series of errors with intermittent achievements. The only usefulness of the errors may be the lessons they teach us. Probably, that is their purpose too. We are created to err so that we learn, I dare to put it that way. I turn 64 in a month’s time. It’s not inappropriate to look back at some of the people whom life brought into my life so that I would learn certain lessons. No, I don’t mean to say that life has any such purpose or design or anything. Life is absurd. People come into your life as haphazardly as vehicles ply on your road or birds poop on your head. Some of these people change the chemist

How Arvind Kejriwal can save himself

Narendra Modi and Amit Shah have a clear vision. Eliminate all opposition. Decimate them or absorb them. My previous post [link below] showed a few people decimated by them. Today let’s look at the others: those who are saved by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP]. 1. Himanta Biswa Sarma  This guy was in Congress and faced serious charges related to the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam. He also faced corruption charges related to drinking water supply in Guwahati. His house was raided by the Central Bureau of Investigation [CBI]. Then he switched over to BJP and all his crimes just vanished. It’s as simple as taking a dip in the Ganga and all your sins are forgiven. Today he is the chief minister of Assam. Nothing is heard of all the charges that were levelled against him. 2. Amarinder Singh  This former Captain in the Indian Army was a Congressman until Modi’s Enforcement Directorate [ED] started raiding him, his son and his son-in-law. He put an end to all those raid

The Good Old World

Book Review Title: Dukhi Dadiba and irony of fate Author: Dadi Edulji Taraporewala Translators: Aban Mukherji and Tulsi Vatsal Publisher: Ratna Books, Delhi, 2023 Pages: 314 If you want to return to the good old days of the late 19 th century, this is an ideal novel for you. This was published originally in Gujarati in 1913. It appeared as a serial before that from 1898 onwards in a periodical. The conflict between good and evil is the dominant motif though there is romance, betrayal, disappointment, regret, and pretty much of traditional morality. Reading this novel is quite like watching an old Bollywood movie, 1960s style. Ardeshir Bahadurshah, a wealthy Parsi aristocrat in Surat, dies having obligated his son Jehangir to find out his long-lost brother Rustom. Rustom was Bahadurshah’s son in his first marriage. The mother died when the boy was too small and the nurse who looked after the child vanished with it one day. Ratanmai, Bahadurshah’s present wife, takes her

The Blindness of Superficiality

An Essay on Anees Salim’s novel The Blind Lady’s Descendants Superficiality is a deadly human vice though most people seldom realise it. It is easy to live on the surface of everything from one’s profession to religion. Anees Salim’s novel, The Blind Lady’s Descendants , tells us a story of superficiality as lived by quite many people. Amar, the protagonist of the novel, is 26 when he thinks that life is not worth living. He became an atheist at the age of 13. He had become a half-Muslim at the age of 5 when his little penis was circumcised partly since he ran away in pain during the process. Amar’s atheism, however, is as superficial as most believers’ religion is. What initiated little Amar to atheism is “Dr Ibrahim’s farting fit.” Islamic prayer has to follow many a rule. “If you break wind during namaaz, you break a big rule, and you are to discontinue the prayer then and there, with no second thoughts.” Little Amar was unable to control his giggles as Dr Ibrahim struggled to