Skip to main content

Dilettante

Image courtesy here


The following quote that I came across quite by chance struck me simply because it seemed to reflect me quite as a mirror does. “I am nothing but a dilettante, a dilettante in painting, in poetry, in music, and several others of the so-called unprofitable arts. Above all else I am a dilettante in life. Up to the present I have lived as I have painted and written poetry. I never got far beyond the preparation, the plan, the first act, the first stanza. There are people like that who begin everything and never finish anything. I am such a one.”

The self-description belongs to the Austrian writer Leopold von Sacher-Masoch from whose name came the word ‘masochism’. The writer was certainly not chuffed with that coinage contributed by an Austrian psychiatrist who justified it saying, “I feel justified in calling this sexual anomaly ‘Masochism’ because the author Sacher-Masoch frequently made this perversion, which up to his time was quite unknown to the scientific world as such, the substratum of his writings.” Masochism is the derivation of gratification from one’s own pain or humiliation.

I don’t enjoy pains at all though I have had to endure quite a lot of that because of my personality characteristics. It is those characteristics that make me similar to Sacher-Masoch and not what the psychologist fabricated out of his name. Dilettantism. That is what I share with the writer.

I am a floater by nature. Like the butterfly that goes from flower to flower savouring the honey. The butterfly doesn’t stop to look at the flower beyond the honey. The sorrows of the flower don’t become the pains of the butterfly. Nor are the joys taken. The dilettante takes just what he wants to take.

Dilettantism is an integral part of the butterfly’s DNA. The little creature is incapable of asking something like, “My darling rose, won’t you tell me your sorrow so that I can kiss it away?”

My cats do the same to me. They come and go as they please. When it pleases him, Bobby jumps on to my lap and lies there purring. He can go to sleep there without ever bothering to ask me whether I am free to let him do that. But, on the other hand, if I pick him up and put him in my lap in a moment of pet-ernal affection, he will protest and jump out. Bobby is an absolute dilettante. His love is frivolous.

I don’t complain, however. I know Bobby. I know the limitations of his DNA. When I accept those limitations, am I accepting my own ones?

If I keep contemplating that, I might become a Buddha and discover the fundamental sorrow that underlies all existence. That will make my life more miserable. I will found a religion of sorrows, create a goddess of perpetual grief, and make mine as well as a few others’ lives miserable. The Buddha couldn’t ever smile because he had not discovered the blessings of dilettantism. The great soul never knew the simple joys of life.

Today, in the post-truth world, dilettantism is the ideal religion. It helps me to smile when the MLA whom I voted for sells himself for a few crore rupees to another party that is diametrically opposed to all that I voted for. When the US Securities and Exchange Commission reports that the Oracle Corporation paid $400,000 in bribes to certain Indian politicians in Goa and Assam and my government which is otherwise eager to send a barrage of investigative agencies to ensure that truth always triumphs (Satyameva Jayate) chooses to turn a blind eye, the dilettante in me can smile and look for new flowers. When a hyperactive investigative agency actually arrests a person for being honest, I can look for yet another flower. This dilettantism is a good religion. Wanna join?

 

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    No - I chose to linger and find the depths of a thing... ☺ YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having numerous interest can do this to one.I am not far away from it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc