Skip to main content

Kochi's bomb and India's love


The explosions that shook Kochi yesterday morning brought a lot of messages and phone calls to me. Many of them were from friends of yesteryears, people who hadn’t contacted me for a long time. Their concern did touch me; it made me realise how much goodness there still is in our world. One such call was from Shillong, the place where I worked from 1986 to 2001. The person who called was my colleague for just one year, my first year in Shillong. His call yesterday evening struck me particularly because his concern was immensely palpable. It brought back a flood of memories – my walks with him through the narrow concrete paths of Shillong’s entrails. He knew all the shortcuts in the town and hills have plenty of time-saving shortcuts. He was my first guide in Shillong. Now, retired from government service, he is an active pastor. His concern reached out beyond me as an individual to whole communities as he discussed Kerala's demographics and the intricate relationships between communities.   

Within minutes of the explosion, messages started appearing in social media and chat platforms that it was a terrorist attack by Muslims. I asked a few persons how they came to that conclusion. "If the dead is Keechaka, then the killer is Bhima," someone reminded me of the old saying whose new version is: If it's a bomb explosion, then it's a Muslim terrorist act.

Soon I was provoked into some research. Are most terrorist acts in the world perpetrated by Muslims? Google throws up a lot of enlightening content on this.

Professor Caroline Mala Corbin of Miami School of Law has a well-researched article on this in the Fordham Law Review (Vol 86, Issue 2, 2017). The article begins with stating two "common though false narratives" in the US. One, terrorists are always (nonwhite) Muslims. Two, white people are never terrorists.

There's an Indian parallel to the above theory. Indians also think that all terrorists are Muslims. When others perpetrate heinous crimes, it is defence of Bharatiya culture, not terrorism. Like: When Palestine attacks Israel, that is terrorism. When Israel bombards apartments and hospitals, that is war.

No doubt, there is much Islamic terrorism in our world. Too much. The American Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) tells us that an overwhelming majority of terrorist incidents do occur in largely Muslim states. They also found that most of these incidents are perpetrated by a small minority of Muslims seeking power primarily in their own areas of operation and their primary victims are fellow Muslims. The Centre also tells us that vast majority of Muslims oppose terrorism. Finally, terrorism is not just about religion. It is a critical ideological force forged by many factors.

Education is one of those many factors. Most religious fundamentalists are people who could  have been better human beings with good education. Interestingly, the religious sect whose convention was disrupted by the bomb blast in Kochi yesterday is also as hidebound as many Islamic sects. Yehowa's Witnesses, as they call themselves, don't believe in the nobility of the nation. They even got the Supreme Court of India to grant their children the right not to sing the national anthem in school. The man who planted the crude bombs in the convention hall yesterday was a frustrated member of the same religious sect who had demanded some reforms earlier.

Frustration is the hotbed of terrorism. Lack of education, poor economic conditions and a host of other factors go into the making of deadly terrorists.

What India under Modi's leadership is doing to the minority communities is also another factor that will foster terrorists.

The redeeming factor in India is that not many Indians really buy what Modi is foisting on them. All my friends who called me or texted yesterday to make sure whether I was safe are Hindus or Muslims with the single exception from Shillong. Love has no religion just like hate and other human emotions. One of the calls was from Uttar Pradesh and the caller is an ardent fan of both Yogi and Modi. His concern for me was as genuine as that of the others. Love has no politics either.

Thank you, friends, for being there with your concern. 


Comments

  1. Hari OM
    News of this dreadful incident had not reached us here in the UK - but your words are timeless in the assessment of what is an act of terror - and acts of Love. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the going gets tough, genuine friends become visible.

      Delete
  2. I use to pen pal write. Sending letters though the mail. Now I have time and hope they're happy to hear from me.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc