Skip to main content

Yet another Christmas

 


“Please, I beg you not to turn us away,” Joseph says to the innkeeper once more. He has been pleading with the innkeeper for some kind of a place where his wife Mary could give birth.

Joseph, Mary, innkeeper - they were all kids from the primary school of the parish. Jenny was sitting in the audience watching the Christmas skit presented by the little children. She knew what would come: the innkeeper would shut the door saying rudely that he didn’t have any more rooms left. Especially for a couple that didn’t have anything much to give in return for all the troubles they were going to create with a delivery and what not. Then Joseph and Mary would go to a cowshed and the cows will be far more benign than humans.

Cows are great creatures, Jenny learnt recently from her country’s dominant political party. If they give birth to a female calf, they are greater still.

That bastard in your belly! Her mother shouts at her a million times a day referring to the baby she is carrying. It’s not a bastard, mom, Jenny explained initially. She had a live-in relationship with a man whom she loved. But the man turned out to be an opportunist. Typical man. But my love was genuine.

She doesn’t need a man in her life anymore. Men are vile, she has learnt. But she needs this child of hers that is yet to be born. It’s not a bastard.

Did Jesus have a father?

Jenny crosses herself instantly. Forgive me, God, for my blasphemy. Thoughts are so hard to control.

Jenny returns to the skit. Because something unexpected happens on the stage. The little boy who is playing the role of the innkeeper looks at the little Mary carrying a big pregnancy in her inflated belly. The boy’s look turns into pity. Then sorrow. He sobs.

O my god! What’s happening? Jenny forgets her own grief.

“Okay, come, I’ll find some place somewhere for you.” The kid welcomes Mary and Joseph and everyone is stunned. Including Mary and Joseph on the stage. That’s not how the script is.

You have to play by the script. Jenny knows. Little kids don’t know that. Jenny pats her swollen belly. And smiles. This little one of mine is going to be my redeemer from my mom, she tells herself.

The curtain falls on the stage. The parish priest appears in front of the curtain and delivers his impromptu message. Priests are blessed with the gift of the gab, Jenny knows. Or, is it the gift of the tongue? Or, gift of the moment? Whatever. Some gift. It’s called vocation or something.

Dear brothers and sisters in Jesus, the parish priest is saying, what you witnessed just now is the real message of Christmas. Love and compassion. That is just what the little kid showed us….

Love and compassion. Mom, are you listening? Jenny wants to ask. She knows that her mom is sitting somewhere in the same parish hall watching all this. She must be gossiping with Lily Auntie and Alice Auntie about today’s youth who don’t possess morality.

Somewhere in the backyard of the parish hall, sitting in the darkness provided by the rubber trees will be the son of Alice Auntie and daughter of Lily Auntie celebrating Christmas in their own way.

PS. This post is a part of Jingle Bell Blog Hop hosted by Sukaina Majeed and Manali Desai

PPS. Very little of this story is original. The parish skit came from a friend of mine, Fr Jose Maliekal, who narrated the episode many Christmases ago. I don’t remember whether he was telling a real incident or giving me a personal homily. The characters Jenny and her mom come from Sukaina Majeed’s short story in this Blog Hop series that I’m participating.

 

 

 

Comments

  1. "The real message of Christmas. Love and compassion." Wish more people would understand and imbibe that. Nice story, Tom sir :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Manali. The stars are already shining in Kerala.

      Delete
  2. That's sweet. Little kid going off script. It's funny how they don't quite get the point of performing. I hope that that actually happened somewhere, sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The priest who told me this anecdote read this post but refused to tell me whether it actually happened. Maybe it's only an anecdote. But it has a power!

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    We need so many people on so many fronts to look through their doors and say "Welcome!"... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Yam. I too long for that sort of a world. We're but shutting doors!

      Delete
  4. Sad, this story of Mary and Joseph is only told this time of year. Stories and words of the down and out need to be kept going though out the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Dora. As Yam says: Let there be more welcomes.

      Delete
  5. What a great contribution to the blog hop series! I must start constructing one of of my own soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do. I'm waiting to read your story. I know there'll be something in it to chew on.

      Delete
  6. I liked the complexity of relationships within a community during a Christmas gathering. The parish priest highlighted the the message of Christmas to be full of love and compassion. Apart from Jenny and her mom, son of of Alice Auntie and the daughter of Lily Auntie celebrating Christmas in their own way in the backyard, introduced element of contrast. It suggests that there are different ways to experience and express the spirit of Christmas, and not everyone adheres to the same expectations or traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas brings a different mood to Christian communities. There's not only merriness but also generosity and compassion.

      Delete
  7. That's a beautiful story, representative of how welcoming Christmas and Christians should actually be. Dogmatism is never good in any religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather sad that religions are becoming more dogmatic these days.

      Delete
  8. You wrote it very well and delivered the true message of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a beautiful twist.My school does the nativity skit every year and I often wonder why they do it repeatedly without any change. I had got bored of the original. Only if school did something different and show different skits which preaches Christianity 's fundamental concepts of love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trust the children to be kind-hearted angels, even if it means straying from their script :)
    I also liked how you chose the same characters from Sukaina's story - Mary and Jenny, and took it forward, it gave a feeling of continuity to the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little children are generally good at heart. I meet hundreds of them at school and they are a delight. When they grow up, it's a different story.

      Delete
  11. Your story reminds me of a similar story I wrote once on a group of children who performed the Ramayana. Christmas, the spirit of good cheer and giving, raises spirits and hopes. I do hope more people have the courage to change scripts, or at least, depart from them for the good of humanity! This made for interesting reading! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings to you too. Yes, more people should deviate from certain scripts.

      Delete
  12. The real message of Christmas being portrayed in the harsh reality non-inclusive and patriarchal society! Loved the whole idea, plot and the presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear this, Nilshree. I wrote a story after a gap of nearly a year.

      Delete

  13. This story skillfully captures the unexpected twists of a Christmas skit, revealing the innocence and compassion of a young actor deviating from the script. Jenny's internal struggle and reflection on her own pregnancy add depth to the narrative. The parish priest's impromptu message on love and compassion serves as a poignant reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. The story beautifully intertwines personal struggles, societal expectations, and the universal themes of love and understanding. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love and compassion is the most needed to the society. Hope people will understand and practice this. I hope this is a real story. Though the little kid goes out of the script but they managed to perform skit. Beautifully crafted Tom Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What the priest did, in marketing terms, is moment marketing. He took the moment and ran with it. Love the tongue-in-cheek message of this story. If only children could retain their wisdom as they grow older...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing story of love and compassion. A great story with conviction and resilience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful and amazing story filled with a message. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like always, your stories are mirrors of reality of current times. The innocence of the children, the perfect message for the festive season and my favourite part, the witty ending... a fabulous write -up Sir ! Kudos .

    ReplyDelete
  19. As I was reading, I remembered Sukaina's story and felt the connect. Your tale carries such a beautiful and positive message of love and kindness just as the Lords would've wanted us to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

X the variable

X is the most versatile and hence a very precious entity in mathematics. Whenever there is an unknown quantity whose value has to be discovered, the mathematician begins with: Let the unknown quantity be x . This A2Z series presented a few personalities who played certain prominent roles in my life. They are not the only ones who touched my life, however. There are so many others, especially relatives, who left indelible marks on my psyche in many ways. I chose not to bring relatives into this series. Dealing with relatives is one of the most difficult jobs for me. I have failed in that task time and again. Miserably sometimes. When I think of relatives, O V Vijayan’s parable leaps to my mind. Father and little son are on a walk. “Be careful lest you fall,” father warns the boy. “What will happen if I fall?” The boy asks. The father’s answer is: “Relatives will laugh.” One of the harsh truths I have noticed as a teacher is that it is nearly impossible to teach your relatives – nephews

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a