Skip to main content

Killers of the Flower Moon


Book Review


 Title: Killers of the Flower Moon: Oil, Murder and the Birth of the FBI

Author: David Grann

Publisher: Simon & Schuster, 2017

Pages: 339

Human greed has no limits. Worse, greed can make people inhuman. David Grann’s book which is classified as ‘history’ reads more like a crime thriller. It tells us the bloodcurdling history of how almost an entire tribe of people, the Osage Indians of Oklahoma, were killed with meticulous planning by a few individuals whose greed overwhelmed their humanity. A few hundred people were killed and many of those deaths were passed off as natural. The author of this book quotes the Osage historian Louis F Burns, “I don’t know of a single Osage family which didn’t lose at least one family member because of the head rights.” The head rights refer to the legal grants given to the Osage people for selling the oil in their lands.

The whites in North America perpetrated many atrocities on the original inhabitants of those lands. Even in the beginning of the 20th century, the atrocities continued to be perpetrated though in apparently less cruel ways. The Osages were also victims of the white marauding. “In the early 1870s, the Osage had been driven from their lands in Kansas onto a rocky, presumably worthless reservation in northeastern Oklahoma,” the author tells us. These hapless people were pushed out of their own homelands, in short. But a few decades later, it was discovered that there were enormous oil deposits beneath the new Osage homes. Some vicious whites were quick enough to devise ways and means of grabbing money from the Osage people by cheating them. Some went to the extent of marrying Osage women and then taking possession of their wealth. Some did not hesitate to kill their Osage wives and relatives.

This book focuses on one particular family: that of Molly Burkhart, an Osage woman who married a white man named Ernest Burkhart. This Ernest looked the paragon of virtues so much so that Molly couldn’t even believe what he had done to her and her family when it all came to light later. Ernest and his uncle William Hale emerge as diabolic characters in this book of ‘history’.

But they are not the only killers of the Osages. There are many others. This book chose to focus on them because they present one of the darkest sides of human nature. They killed too many people, innocent and unsuspecting people, just for the sake of wealth all of which nobody would need in an entire lifetime.

What shakes us most, perhaps, is the fact that these white killers didn’t even regret their crimes when their wickedness was discovered and brought to the court of justice. They tried to bribe the judges and witnesses in order to escape arrest. They even killed an attorney and some of the witnesses.

They didn’t even think of the Osages as people, in the first place. One of the Osages remarked during the trial, “It is a question in my mind whether this jury is considering a murder case or not. The question for them to decide is whether a white man killing an Osage is murder – or merely cruelty to animals.”

This book touches the depths of human depravity. This is not history. This is much more than that.

Martin Scorsese has made a movie on this with the same title. I don’t know how shocking the movie is. The book jolted me. I shuddered again and again and found it hard to believe that some people could be as devilish as William Hale and Ernest Burkhart. And there are many others too mentioned in the book though briefly.

The book ends with a remark from one of the descendants of an Osage who was killed during ‘The Reign of Terror’ [as the Osage killings came to be known later]: “The blood cries out from the ground.” That is what the biblical God told Cain after he killed Abel.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    I recently read this... it stays with one for some time... It is not easy history. But the blood cries from many grounds even now... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the saddest side, Yam, that we humans never learn... the meaning of being human!

      Delete
  2. Sounds something like that of Armenian tribes.Americans suffer from this Heart of Darkness that bears American Dreams only because of the white thirst for sucking red human blood. They are indeed cannibals. A very simple book review, prompting book lovers to read!👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Europeans had this notion that they were the torchbearers of civilisation. But history often shows them on the other side.

      Delete
  3. It has been argued that the root of all evil is when man stopped being nomads and became settlers. I don't remember the name of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A stark reminder that humanity often struggles to learn from its own past, repeating the same tragic mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only was Ernest Burkhart excessively greedy, but he had ensnared Molly to such an extent that she did not even suspect him in the least, all the while claiming to be the embodiment of righteousness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

X the variable

X is the most versatile and hence a very precious entity in mathematics. Whenever there is an unknown quantity whose value has to be discovered, the mathematician begins with: Let the unknown quantity be x . This A2Z series presented a few personalities who played certain prominent roles in my life. They are not the only ones who touched my life, however. There are so many others, especially relatives, who left indelible marks on my psyche in many ways. I chose not to bring relatives into this series. Dealing with relatives is one of the most difficult jobs for me. I have failed in that task time and again. Miserably sometimes. When I think of relatives, O V Vijayan’s parable leaps to my mind. Father and little son are on a walk. “Be careful lest you fall,” father warns the boy. “What will happen if I fall?” The boy asks. The father’s answer is: “Relatives will laugh.” One of the harsh truths I have noticed as a teacher is that it is nearly impossible to teach your relatives – nephews

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a