Skip to main content

A love affair with ChatGPT



I have fallen in love with ChatGPT. It happened when I asked it to prepare the terminal examination question paper for my students. The work that used to take me a week was accomplished in minutes by the AI chatbot. ChatGPT takes seconds to return intelligent responses to our queries. But I had to break down the question paper into many sections and so it took minutes instead of seconds.

I use the chatbot quite frequently and effectively in my classrooms. It can summarise lessons better than I do, prepare instantaneous test papers, and interpret poetry elegantly. The idea of seeking its help to prepare the question paper for the terminal examination came after I went through CBSE’s sample paper. Click the link I’ve provided here and you will see how much time and effort it will take for anyone to prepare one such question paper. I have spent a lion’s share of my life preparing such question papers and then evaluating the students’ answer sheets.

When I went through the sample paper cited above, an epiphany descended on me. This question paper is prepared by a chatbot. The second reading passage gave me that revelation. It was so atypical of CBSE. The structure of the passage looked very robotic. And then I gave the same theme to ChatGPT and my suspicion was confirmed. Voila! I downloaded the ChatGPT app right then on my phone and a love affair started.

Yesterday, students of grade eleven submitted one of their project assignments to their physics teacher whose seat happens to be next to mine. I saw the name of Stephen Hawking on one of those works and my curiosity was turned on instantly. I checked a few more of those submissions and realised that each one of them was a student’s review of a science book. The young and enthusiastic teacher, whose question papers had already caught my attention earlier because of certain innovative questions in them (like on the Mullaperiyar dam and related controversy), told me that he wanted students to read science books and hence asked them to do this project. “But they won’t read, I know,” he added. “These are all written by ChatGPT.” And he laughed.

Later I asked one of my beloved students. “Did you read A Brief History of Time?” “No,” she replied honestly. “I got ChatGPT to do that project. But I do want to read it.” I appreciated her frankness.

How far young students will put the chatbot to good use, I don’t know. Many of them are likely to misuse it more. The frivolousness with which they approach everything except what hurts their ego is something that has left me feeling more helpless than baffled.

I am a grown-up and I know where to draw the line while depending on AI. For example, I won’t use it for writing the blog just because this writing is my personal expression, this is my personal space, and I don’t want any machine to determine what my views and feelings are.

ChatGPT can be used very productively by students. The other day, I asked the bot to teach me the binomial theorem in a lay person’s language and it did a marvellous job. It can teach me the theory of relativity too. It can work wonders. But my concern is that my youngsters aren’t interested in wonders.

Having written the above, I switched to ChatGPT and asked: ‘What is your advice to today’s bloggers?’ The very first counsel: 

Click to enlarge

Amen to that fitting conclusion to this post.

Comments

  1. The conclusion indeed takes the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, students use it to do the work for them. And they don't realize when it gives them a wrong answer. (I did a post on a kiddo who used ChatGPT to do his history work, and it gave him the wrong answer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a serious problem though the bot has the line beneath every message that chatgpt can make mistakes.

      Delete
  3. In other words, it is kind of ironical as it asks us to use it responsibly.The young ones must learn to do the same and simply be spoon fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irony mocks us in a way. We have created all of that: the bot, the works by it, and the risks!

      Delete
  4. Hari Om
    Recent upsurge in high marks in exams here raised a curiosity as to the factors... Yup, AI boosted things. Might look good for schools and on CVs, but what has actually been learned? That it's okay to plagiarise and cheat. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Yam, in fact the youngsters don't even see it as cheating. They think they're making use of technology. That they are saving time and energy.

      Delete
  5. Lovely blog! It is so convincing that I changed my perspective about ChatGPT! Will surely take help...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredibly useful. You may need to do some editing.

      Delete
  6. I have not used AI till now. I feel I should not. Asking a machine to do what I can indicates lethargy and leaving a scope for the brain to vegetate out of underutilisation. This can have serious implications from Dementia to self alienation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certain jobs that are only laborious and are of no particular benefit for our faculties. Like preparing a 20-page question paper spending a whole week. I'd give that labour to anyone, even AI, all too happily.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Days at the Morisaki Bookshop

  Book Review Title: Days at the Morisaki Bookshop Author: Satoshi Yagisawa Translator: Eric Ozawa Publisher: Manila Press, 2023 Pages: 150 Love is both simple and complex at the same time. As an experience, it is simple. But certain factors such as the relationships it brings and the motives behind the relationships make it quite complex. Japanese writer Satoshi Yagisawa’s debut novel about a second-hand bookshop in Jimbocho, Tokyo, and some people associated with it, is as simple and complex as love itself. Reading this short novel is like bathing in a cool, crystal-clear stream. It refreshes you more and more as you immerse yourself in it. I finished reading it in one go yesterday; it enchanted me. The protagonist is 25-year-old Takako whose boyfriend ditches her. She was too naïve to understand that the young man was only taking advantage of her while he was really in love with another woman. “This guy is rotten to the core,” Uncle Satoru tells Takako about that

Dealing with Depression

Book Review Title: Why do I feel so sad? Your pathway to healing depression Author: Dr Shefali Batra Publisher: Jaico, 2023 Pages: 303 Mental health is as important as physical health, if not more so. Depression is a very common psychological problem all over the world and it requires due attention. By 2030, depression will be the second leading problem worldwide in the health sector, according to various studies. The WHO states that 75% of people with psychological problems do not receive any treatment. For 1.3 billion people, India has only 8,000 psychiatrists, as the Foreword to this book points out. This book is an excellent companion and guide for anyone looking for help in dealing with depression. It gives you the theoretical frameworks related to each of the topics under consideration and then goes on to provide very practical solutions or suggestions. The book is divided into five parts whose titles are self-explanatory. 1.      Know the enemy if you want to

Satisficing

  Copilot Designer's illustration of 'satisficing' Satisficing is a portmanteau word coined by Nobel Prize-winning American economist and political scientist. He combined the words ‘satisfy’ and ‘suffice’ into one to describe the human tendency to make a decision that is ‘good enough’ rather than one that is necessarily optimal. Take an example to understand the notion better. Suppose A is searching for his life partner at a matrimonial site. There are so many potential brides who all look good enough. But if A goes on to find the best among them, the one that suits all his criteria and tastes, he will remain a bachelor till death. So what does A do? He satisfices by choosing one that meets his minimum acceptable criteria. When the ruling BJP decided to project Smriti Irani as the next chief minister candidate for Delhi, Herbert Simon forced himself into my consciousness. Smriti Irani lost in the last parliament election to Congress’s Kishori Lal. The margin was a