Skip to main content

The Agony of Ivan Karamazov


“The more stupid one is, the clearer one is.” That is one of Ivan Karamazov’s numerous profound observations. Ivan is one of the most fascinating characters in literature for me. He is intelligent and troubled but he would rather be stupid and happy. He is sensitive but such sensitivity can drive one to insanity. He is sceptical but he’d rather be a genuine believer in God.

But does God exist at all? If He does, is He a benign entity or a malign one? “If there is a God, then He is a malicious and cruel being,” Ivan asserts. On another occasion, we find him tortured by the thought that “If God exists, then, as the children are tortured, He must exist for the sake of tormenting them.” Children’s pains afflict Ivan particularly. Innocence does deserve better particularly if there is a God who cares.

Ivan could not accept God because of the evil in the world. An omnipotent God could easily get rid of evil. And God is not only omnipotent but all-loving too. One of Ivan’s fundamental problems is his inability to reconcile his intellect with his emotions. His emotions rebel against his brain. The conflict is so deep that Ivan becomes one of the most troubled characters in literature and hence most fascinating.

Ivan’s brother, Alexei is a deeply religious person. His religion gives him meaning and a sense of fulfilment in life. It makes him a saintly character. Ivan is incapable of such faith. This is where we are left wondering whether religious faith is a gift that not all people are blessed with.

I find Ivan fascinating probably because some of Ivan’s questions and agonies are my own. I could never come to terms with God precisely for the same reasons that Ivan raises. Evil in the human world is a grave question mark etched deeply on the very heart of God. Evil is so powerful that if God comes again to the human world, He will again be nailed to the cross or shot down or burnt alive by people who claim to be religious.

Like Ivan, I experience a deep longing for God within my troubled heart. But not a single religious place has ever given me the kind of serenity that I hope to derive from religion. Secluded places offer me such serenity. God has no place among believers, I feel every time I visit religious places.

In the end, I am as confused and troubled as Ivan Karamazov when it comes to God. But I have resolved the conflict by choosing to leave God to his believers. Let them fight it out as they are doing every day on the streets, in media, wherever.

PS. This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon

Previous Posts in this series:

1. Heights of Evil

2. Pip Learns the Essential Lessons

3. Delusions and Ironies of Love

4. Good Old Days without meetings

5. Finding Enlightenment

6. An Oracle Gives up his Goddess

7. The Ruler Matters

The series will end with two more posts.

Comments

  1. The problem is the definition of God. What is God? We have such an anthropomorphized vision that I doubt is accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with you. I have wondered again and again how God can have a gender? What will God do with genitals, for example?

      Delete
  2. Hari Om
    Ah, The Brothers Karamazov... A favourite tale. I enjoyed it for all the reasons you elucidate here. My life long search has served me well and I'm satisfied with the answers. What requires remembering (and majority organised religion tries to keep their sheep ignorant of) is that "God" is made in Man's own image... hence so many variations of the One Manufactured... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find incredibly ludicrous is how millions of people refuse to see that Man-u-facture.

      Delete
  3. I feel like you resonate with Ivan for all the queries both of you have, one day you will find another character that will answer your queries in a way like they never existed. Until then you are doing good by leaving God to his believers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, Zorba of Kazantzakis answers my quest partly. I may write about him next.

      Delete
  4. An insightful exploration of Ivan Karamazov's complex character and his struggle with faith and doubt. It's difficult to define God. It means different things to different people. For me, God is an invisible power. A power that is manifested in everything living and non-living. A power that leads us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who have experienced God really won't ever fight for that power. We have so much violence in the name of God(s) because the believers haven't ever understood what divinity is about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

A Resort with a View

A view from the Hilltop Resort, Karimkunnam A cousin of mine invited me yesterday to the inauguration of his new venture, a resort. Hilltop Resort at a place called Karimkunnam on Thodupuzha-Pala Road. Karimkunnam is a place on whose hills my boyhood found abundant delights because my mother’s brothers were living in those hills. A few hills belonged to the family entirely. There were rubber trees all over the hills in those days. Rubber has lost its glory among Malayalis now for various reasons. First of all, there isn’t much money in it now. The labour charges are so high in Kerala that the landowner will be left with little more than the cool shade of the rubber trees after the rubber is sold in any form – latex, solid blocks or sheets. No wonder my cousin chopped down all the rubber trees and built a resort there on his hill. It is quite an exotic place whose rustic charm will seep into your heart along with the cool breeze in the evening. You have verdant mountains all aroun

Why Live?

More than 700,000 people choose to commit suicide every year in the world. That is, nearly 2000 individuals end their lives every day and suicide is the leading cause of death in the age group of 15 to 29. 10 Sep is the World Suicide Prevention Day . Let me join fellow bloggers Manali and Sukaina in their endeavour to draw more people’s attention to the value of life. One of the most persuasive essays on why we should not choose death voluntarily in spite of the ordeals and absurdities of life is The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus. Camus’s basic premise is that life is absurd. It has no meaning other than what you give to it. The universe is indifferent to you, if not hostile. The confrontation between the human need for clarity and the chaotic irrationality of the world can lead to existential despair. Suicide is not the answer to that despair, however. Camus looks for a philosophical answer in his essay. Not many people find consolation in philosophy. Most people seek a

Remedios the Beauty and Innocence

  Remedios the Beauty is a character in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude . Like most members of her family, she too belongs to solitude. But unlike others, she is very innocent too. Physically she is the most beautiful woman ever seen in Macondo, the place where the story of her family unfolds. Is that beauty a reflection of her innocence? Well, Marquez doesn’t suggest that explicitly. But there is an implication to that effect. Innocence does make people look charming. What else is the charm of children? Remedios’s beauty is dangerous, however. She is warned by her great grandmother, who is losing her eyesight, not to appear before men. The girl’s beauty coupled with her innocence will have disastrous effects on men. But Remedios is unaware of “her irreparable fate as a disturbing woman.” She is too innocent to know such things though she is an adult physically. Every time she appears before outsiders she causes a panic of exasperation. To make mat

I wandered lonely as a cloud

Fiction Something was amiss on top of the hill. I sensed it in my veins. My veins are the primary source of my awareness. As well as the little wisdom I’m gathering as I go on. I’m not wise. I’m just 30 years young. And I’m going to tell you a story about a woman who is just ten more years older than me. But she has grey hairs all over her head now. Her name is Sujata. I learnt that when I was a ten-year-old boy who was driven by the kind of curiosity that killed the proverbial cat. I was living in the valley whose sunset was always blocked by the hill in the west. That entire hill belonged to one family. Aristocratic family, my mother told me. The history of their aristocracy went back to some Aryan invasion and all that stuff. History never enthused me. But heights did. My history teacher told us about the Eiffel Tower that day in class. The tallest tower in the world. About its 1665 steps. About the grand vision it provided from its height. I imagined myself running up 1665 st