Skip to main content

The Nomad learns morality

Fiction

I happened to be in Kerala when the news of Cherian’s murder reached me.  Cherian was what I would call a friend of mine when I was working as a teacher in Assam.  It took some time for me to realise that he had not considered me a friend, however.  For him I was a kind of entertainment.  He loved to call me to the residential school of which he was the proprietor, director, manager and principal.  He would give me brandy to drink and food to eat.  And even a place to sleep if I wished not to go back home.  I had none waiting for me at home and hence could spend the night anywhere.  I was a gypsy of sorts who considered it the sign of an intellectual to claim a cosmopolitan nomadism for one’s identity.  Cherian thought I was a like a buffoon in a circus troupe: born to entertain, though I perceived myself a very serious thinker, a philosopher, and even an intellectual.  I put the intellectual at a higher level because the intellectual thinks he has a duty to save the world while the others in the list are less harmful.  Entertainment is sure to follow when there is such a contradiction in perceptions.  Cherian entertained himself with the buffoonery that emanated copiously from a personality that was not restrained by any sense of social niceties.  I was, on the other hand, under the impression that jettisoning social niceties was the ultimate sign of the intellectual.

Life teaches us lessons the hard way when we refuse or fail to learn those lessons from parents, teachers, religion, and other easy sources of facile wisdom.  Cherian was one of the many people who taught me those lessons eventually.  They taught me that life was a very serious affair and I could not sail through it with the facile mirth of a moron playing in a rubber coracle watched over by parents standing on the side of the shallow pool.  By the time I learnt those lessons I had become such a laughing stock in the town that I thought it wise to put into practice my cosmopolitan nomadism and I migrated to Delhi. 

While I perceived myself as the intellectual with the potential to provide all kinds of panacea for the world’s ills, people like Cherian acted as the Messiahs who redeemed the souls of people like me.  That’s why the news of Cherian’s murder made me shudder.  He was killed by one of his workers, James told me.
Bejoy, the worker, was from Assam.  He had come to Kerala along with many others from his native land in search of jobs.  It was not only Cherian’s knowledge of Assamese but also Bejoy’s nature that brought the young man closer to Cherian.  Bejoy was a soul to be redeemed in Cherian’s Messianic vision.  “Bejoy was what you would describe as amoral,” said James.  He was innocent and crude, like children who were not brought up properly.  He loved the earth and was earthy.  Nothing beyond the earth mattered to him.  

“He had some notions about god, however,” James went on.  His father had taught him that their tribe had descended directly from some God.  The tribe’s celestial flight had descended in Varanasi.  But they soon found out that the flight had landed on a wrong turf and started moving northwards.  Later many kings and conquerors expanded their kingdoms and drove the tribal people more and more towards north and pushed them uphill.

So, Bejoy is a nomad by the legacy of his tribe, I mused. 

“Bejoy’s father had taught him that their people were always pushed around by someone or another,” James was telling me.  First the God, then the various kings, followed by whom they later called the plainspeople.  Then came new kings like tea estate owners, oil diggers and business people all of whom had much to take away from the land and gave little in return.

Bejoy’s people adapted themselves to their new worlds as they descended on them.  “Probably they became meek and submissive in the process,” said James.

“But there has been a lot of militancy among the tribal people in Assam in the last three decades,” I pointed out.

“True.  But militants form a tiny fraction of any community.  What about the majority?”

James contended that the majority of people are peace lovers.  “Who creates strife, riots and wars?  A handful of people with political ambitions or those with criminal proclivities.  The majority want to live in peace.  That’s why they keep moving away from disturbances.  Look at the number of Assamese tribal people in Kerala.  You’d be amazed to see them even in the remote villages of Kerala doing all sorts of works.”

Bejoy was rather peculiar, said James.  He did not differentiate between good and evil.  People are what they are because they are born as what they are.  A man does not become a wanderer; he is born a wanderer.  Thieves are born.  So are saints.  Some people may pretend to be religious but may be thieves.  Some may pretend to be atheists but may be deeply spiritual. 

“Did Bejoy say such things?” I was surprised.

“Oh no.  I’m describing it in my own words based on my observations of Bejoy and what Cherian told me occasionally.”

“Why did he kill Cherian?” I was more interested in that.

“Yes, let me come to that.  Cherian turned to religion towards the end of his stay in Assam.  He began to interpret the Bible rather literally and thought that the Armageddon was at hand.  He viewed Islamic terrorism and American counterterrorism as the final war between evil and good.”  James paused and then said in a low voice, “People say that Cherian was getting funds from America to set up his new church.”

“New church?”

“Yes, he founded a new church when he reached Kerala having sold his school in Assam.  The Church of Revelation, he called it.  He built a huge church building and gathered quite a lot of followers too.  Again, people say that he bought the followers with American money.”

“Where does Bejoy enter this story?” I was becoming impatient.

“Bejoy did not become a member of Cherian’s church much as he was persuaded to.  If you believe in god, you’ll have to believe in the devil too, he said something like that.”

“Amazing,” I blurted out.  “You remember Zorba, the Kazantzakis character?” I knew that James was familiar with the novel.

“I knew you would get that parallel.  Yes, Bejoy was somewhat like Zorba; he had an instinctual dislike of all theories and theologies.  People should not pervert themselves with such things, he seemed to think.”

You understand things, that’s your problem,” I remembered Zorba telling his master.  “If you did not understand so much you’d see things more clearly.”

“Bejoy was not happy with the way Cherian was expanding his church.  Cherian was buying up more and more land.  It was something like the conquests made by the old kings.  But the problem seems to have risen when Cherian wanted to buy up one particular plot of land whose owner was not willing to sell it however high a price Cherian would offer.  John, the old man, lived alone in a house on that plot.  His children are all in America and they never visit him.  Cherian seems to have tried all kinds of strategies, tricks and knavery to persuade John to shift to another place.  The old man did not budge.  A few months back he was found dead in his house.  It was taken as natural death.  A few days after the death Cherian’s bulldozer entered the plot.”

“Ok, but...”

“I know you’re impatient to know about why Bejoy killed Cherian.  It seems Bejoy knew something about John’s death that nobody else knew.  It was not a natural death probably.”

“You mean... He was done in?”

“I’m not sure.  But something went wrong between Cherian and Bejoy a few days back.  Cherian’s servants, none of whom understand Assamese, say that there was a loud argument in which John’s name was mentioned a number of times and Cherian pulled out a pistol from somewhere.  The sight of the pistol infuriated Bejoy.  He snarled at Cherian like an enraged animal and sprang on him before he could even realise what was happening.  It was Bejoy who pulled the trigger.”

“No one knows why?”

“The police will find out, let’s hope.  But somebody translated what Bejoy said as he was taken away by the police.  He said pointing at Cherian’s dead body, ‘He died because he taught me morality.’”




Comments

  1. Is amorality better than morality? Is the pristine innocence of the primitive superior to the religion of the civilised? Your story raises a very important question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many of the people who claim to be civilised are really civilised? That's also a question I'm raising. Is religion a part of the outer behaviour or the inner spirit? Is the atheist more spiritual than the religious like Cherian? Yes, I've raised a helluva lot of questions in this.

      Delete
  2. A 7 year old son dies. The grief stricken young, widow-mother loses her heart, hope and will to live.. for whom, for what? she asks. Her teacher consoles her,make her forget herself in books and she clears exams after exams , becomes a primary teacher, teach young kids, finds her son's face in all and .... one day kidnaps a handicap one from them ! reason - she thought 'her' better suited financially and mentally to provide for him, to love him better than his real parents !
    what happened next and rest is irrelevant.... Morality...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is morality? Very difficult to answer, Kokila. That's why I put it up in the form of a story. What the protagonist, Bejoy, means by his last statement is that there would have been more 'joy' in the world without the kind of morality practised generally.

      Delete
    2. Hm.. I emphasize the same.. In the incident I posted, the mother was supposedly a 'moral' ,righteous,very religious and all.... like Cherian , she too believed in black n white with no place for grey and was 'helping' the blackness to attain whiteness .. difference is her deeds were discernible , his needs looking deep...twisted apparent morality.

      Delete
  3. Such a mystery - he died because he taught me morality...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nimi, let me help you. The morality of people like Cherian (most people, for that matter) polarises good and evil. They make neat compartments. For a person like Bejoy the grey area is what's real. When he learnt the morality of Cherian's kind, he understands that Cherian is evil and does not deserve to live.

      Delete
    2. Thank u :)
      People who understand about creating balance and who understand that 'grey' is the truth, they don't usually have the strength to take extreme steps... that's why the the 'black' voices are usually the loudest.

      Delete
  4. How much of it, if at all, is autobiographical... just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I know, Chaitali. I was hesitant to put it up in the blog. But the response has been encouraging.

      Delete
  6. The deep darker part inside us humans or should I say moral beings is pretty scary. Sitting now and thinking again and again about the last line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Athena that the line will hit every reader like a punch on the nose. I have wondered time and again whether we don't deserve some such punches. When are we going to realise the hypocrisy of our moral systems?

      Delete
    2. We surely do need those punches and that too right on our nose so that we freeze and think and make the changes required.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. All of us possess some sense of morality, Meenal. Religions and such systems make neat compartments for virtues and vices and force them on us. Problems begin there. Soon we learn that the religious systems are no less political in motives than the actual political systems. So what's morality? Sustaining and upholding the power of the ruling class!

      Delete
  8. Kudos to you for writing such a piece !! all I can say...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a certain regard for the Bejoys of the world, and a lack of it for the "preachers" of "morality". There's a kind of hypocrisy among the preachers. That's all I'll say for now. Another good read. And I wonder how much of it is fiction? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of it is fiction, Sreesha, in case you mean how of it actually happened the way I've written here.

      Delete
  10. Amazing--and a true story at that!
    What goes round comes round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, Indu, nowhere have I said it's a true story! But it is all TRUE, truer than the absolute truths in the scriptures!

      Delete
  11. Brilliant! Poignant and profound..

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the best story Matheikal.. For my interpretation as of now Cherian was murdered by himself, n his blind beliefs.. !! But I will keep on thinking.. Amazing.. you should probably come up with a book of such profound stories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously considering that, Roohi. I'm even thinking of retiring from teaching and being a full time writer. But those who know me personally suggest against it: they think I'm a better teacher than a writer :)

      Delete
    2. :) I think you can be both.. You already write while being a teacher.. just need to devote little more time in getting this published.. I would hav done that had I been in ur place :P Sadly, I don't write that much..

      Delete
    3. One thing I know is there are enough crap/masala books being published these days.. You write what should be read.. :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Roohi. The encouragement does matter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blind Lady’s Descendants

Book Review Title: The Blind Lady’s Descendants Author: Anees Salim Publisher: Penguin India 2015 Pages: 301 Price: Rs 399 A metaphorical blindness is part of most people’s lives.  We fail to see many things and hence live partial lives.  We make our lives as well as those of others miserable with our blindness.  Anees Salim’s novel which won the Raymond & Crossword award for fiction in 2014 explores the role played by blindness in the lives of a few individuals most of whom belong to the family of Hamsa and Asma.  The couple are not on talking terms for “eighteen years,” according to the mother.  When Amar, the youngest son and narrator of the novel, points out that he is only sixteen, Asma reduces it to fifteen and then to ten years when Amar refers to the child that was born a few years after him though it did not survive.  Dark humour spills out of every page of the book.  For example: How reckless Akmal was!  Sleeping with his mouth wide open righ

Romancing the Past

A few years back, when I was teaching Jack Finney’s story The Third Level in a section of grade 12, I put a question to the entire class: “If you get a chance to live in another time, which would you choose – past or future?” Ann [not her real name] put up her hand first. “Future,” she said. In Finney’s story, Charley chooses to go back to Galesburg of 1894. He loves those big old frame houses, huge lawns, and tremendous trees with branches roofing the streets. It’s a ‘cool’ place whose evenings were “twice as long.” Life was a relaxed affair. People had time to sit out in the evenings, sipping tea and playing music on their guitars. There would be fireflies all around. Peaceful world. Charley wanted that world. My question to the class was in relation to that description of an old world. “My father speaks about the horrors of his childhood,” Ann said. “There was poverty. Not enough food to eat, no proper clothes to wear, no vehicles to carry you… Who wants to go back there?” An

Kashmir and Politics

Book Title: Farooq of Kashmir Authors: Ashwini Bhatnagar & R C Ganjoo Publisher: Fingerprint, New Delhi, 2023 Pages: 330 This book is much more than a biography of Farooq Abdullah. It is a short history of the trouble-torn Kashmir. Though Farooq remains at the centre of the history, his father Sheikh Abdullah is given ample space in the first few chapters. Towards the end of the book, Farooq’s son Omar gets due attention too. Kashmir went through a lot of pain and misery ever since India became independent. Its political leaders as well as their religious counterparts were mostly responsible for all that pain and misery. Add to that the nefarious role played by the neighbouring country of Pakistan. Pakistan has been a thorn in the very heart of Kashmir right from Independence. The political leaders and religious terrorists of that country have left no stone unturned to make Kashmir their own. Understanding Kashmir’s unique condition, independent India had given the st

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Happy Women's Day

I have had more female colleagues than males in my entire teaching career. Probably why I survived so long in the job. Let me celebrate this Women's Day with them. I haven't been able to get hold of the pics all of them and I express my immense grief on leaving out quite many.  That's my first school where I was a math teacher. You may not recognise me. I'm the second one from left in the last row. This was St Joseph's School, Shillong. I learnt the art of teaching in that school. It was a convent school with only girl students. I still remember a lot of them, my first students. I know I wasn't very kind to them. Math teachers can't be kind - that was what I thought in those days. My own teachers had created that impression in my consciousness and the subconscious as well. All those girls are now mothers and some of them may be grandmothers. Let me tell them that I never meant any harm. I was happy in those days to see them learning math well. Hi, dear ladie