Skip to main content

Grammatically Correct


Some of my prized possessions in my youth were a dictionary, a thesaurus and a pronouncing dictionary.  The grammar book belonged to boyhood days.  The pronouncing dictionary of Daniel Jones which still finds a place –though a relegated one – in my book shelf is a 1979 edition.  I bought it in 1980 or so when the phone number in my hometown was a three-digit figure.  It was used as frequently in those days as my dictionary and the thesaurus (the latter of which I bought when I was 16).  I was quite fastidious about lexical and grammatical precision and even style.

My obsession with words sometimes landed me in ridiculous situations because I teetered on the edge of malapropism often enough to attract derision from certain people who found me clownish enough to be amusing.  It took me a while to understand that it’s not words that make one’s writing attractive; it’s convictions and their depth.

Time of 3-digit phone number 
Today the dictionary, the thesaurus and the pronouncing dictionary remain untouched on the book shelf.  One reason is that I have a dictionary on my phone which is much handier.  A more valid reason is that I don’t need them much now.  I have discovered the gracefulness of simplicity. 

Another discovery I made along the way is that punditry in grammar does not necessarily make one a good writer.  In fact, we don’t have to know 90 percent of the jargon employed by grammarians to write correctly and elegantly.  I keep myself up-to-date with English grammar merely because I’m an English teacher.  But I’m a teacher who tells his students: “Don’t be afraid of grammatical mistakes.  Let them be.  What’s more important is that you express what you want to express.”

I ignore certain minor grammar mistakes in the writing of my students.  For example, it doesn’t matter a bit to me if a student “kisses his friend’s cheek” or “kisses on her cheek.”  I leave the subtleties of prepositions and vocatives to Quirk and Greenbaum.  In the meanwhile, I relish the emotions that render the kiss poetic.

I noticed that the writing style of students improved considerably when I changed the focus from grammar to content and style.  Interestingly, grammar improved too without much effort.  Language is within us. It just has to be discovered rather than be imposed from outside by grammarians.  I’m yet to find a student who loves to study grammar.  But I have numerous students who learnt grammar effortlessly through writing exercises with the supplementary nutrition from reading, speaking and listening.

A page from the Dictionary
Noam Chomsky called it the “creativity of language.”  The speaker possesses “the ability to produce new sentences,” said Chomsky, “sentences that are immediately UNDERSTOOD by other speakers although they bear no physical resemblance to sentences which are familiar.”  In other words, language lies far beyond grammar. 

This is not to denigrate grammar.  I stick to grammatical correctness as far as possible within my limited knowledge of grammar.  That’s needed for effective communication.  I correct many grammatical mistakes of my students.  That’s needed for them to learn the language better.  But the point is that language towers above grammar.  Otherwise Shakespeare couldn’t have got away with his “most unkindest cut of all.”


Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing awesome, information about real estate projects.
    Real Estate Developers in Lucknow
    Plots in Lucknow


    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great article. It will definitely give me courage to write more inspite of my not so strong grammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes. Language is as dynamic as people; it keeps evolving.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the