Skip to main content

Reliance Swindling Corporation



This Independence Day brought me a symbolic ‘gift’. The fact that it came from Reliance Life Insurance Corporation adds a peculiar irony to the ‘gift’.

Back in the heyday of my life in Delhi, I received a phone call offering me a “single premium life insurance policy” from Reliance. I had to pay ₹ 50,000 just once and would go on to enjoy a whole lot of “long term benefits”. I leaped at the opportunity as the promises were lucrative enough. The agent rushed to my residence and the paper works were completed hastily.

However, when I received the policy certificate I realised I was cheated. It was not a single premium policy at all. My subsequent personal conversations with the staff in the Reliance office (which kept shifting from place to place in Delhi almost every month like a fugitive) made me realise that the office and its agents played tricks on potential clients to foist misleading insurance policies on the latter. I was already trapped and had no choice but carry on paying the substantial premium for three years at least after which the policy would be considered “paid-up.” Then I could surrender it without loss after five years.

I did precisely that: paid the premium for 3 years consecutively. When the stipulated 5 years passed I went to surrender the policy only to be told that I would not get even ₹ 1 lakh back though I had paid ₹ 1.5 lakh to the company. I was advised to wait until the stock markets rose since the policy was linked to the market. Wait I did.

But the surrender value stubbornly hovered around ₹ 1 lakh. I continued to wait patiently. But the Reliance Corporation lost its patience and a few days back they sent me a cheque for ₹ 107583.55. Add the interest to the loss of my capital, and I have lost about ₹ 1 lakh to Reliance. That is my Independence Day ‘gift’ this time.

I sent the following mail to Reliance Insurance.



They promptly responded with the usual jargon, part of which is given below.



The reply is much, much longer than that, of course. The rest of it is merely infantile information like how I should fulfil KYC norms, etc by contacting their “nearest” branch. I did contact the nearest branch only to be told that my policy was “foreclosed” (jargon, again) and hence nothing more could be done about it. The case is closed, in short, and I have no more say in the matter unless I choose to challenge it in the court.

Their claim that they tried to contact is utter falsehood. My phone shows no missed calls. Everything is as false as that when it comes to Reliance, I'm convinced. 

Exactly a year after Mr Modi came to power at the Centre, I lost my job in Delhi as my school was shut down by a godman who bought the campus and converted it into parking space for his rich devotees. Ever since that tragedy, I witnessed various instances of chicanery perpetrated by the prevalent political system in the country. Eventually I got used to that chicanery. I have now got used to a whole assortment of evils and vices that have come to dominate the country’s political dispensation. Lynching, assaults, rapes and murders have ceased to shock me. Lies have begun to amuse me. The Rafale scam is just a tip of the humongous iceberg of corruption that is eating up the country at various levels including in the mass media.

I live in a new India. I know I should be prepared to lose a lot more.



Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers

Comments

  1. Its really horrible to know how you have been cheated, some people have extraordinary talent to play with the words.
    I read your post about shutting down a school for the parking area of devotees where you mentioned about a peacock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reliance, both the brothers, has been cheating the nation for years through ingenious methods.

      More about my school and that godman will come in my forthcoming book, 'Autumn Shadows,' to be published in New Year.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info of your upcoming book, great to know. Wish you best of luck.

      Delete
  2. Sir, duly file a complaint against them in court and I bet you that they will give your amount back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They called me to say they would put up the matter to the board. I don't trust
      Reliance, however. They have cheated this nation through and through. What should a citizen expect from them?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the