Skip to main content

Memoirs of a Teacher

The last tour from Sawan


The examiner was visibly offended by my answer. That was in 1988. I was completing my B.Ed. course and the viva voce exam was going on. The question put by the examiner was: “How useful has the B.Ed. course been to you as a teacher?” My answer was: “A year of actual experience in the classroom is far more useful than this course.”

I had had a year and a half’s experience at St Joseph’s school in Shillong before that school deputed me for the B.Ed. course on a contract. So I was speaking from real life experience. Nothing teaches you a job better than the work experience itself. True, some theoretical knowledge does help and stuff like Bloom’s Taxonomy still comes in handy years after my B.Ed. course brought it to me. But no one learns acting from the National School of Drama any more than one learns to teach from a B.Ed. college. The Taj Mahal was not built by a university-trained architect.

Frankly speaking, most of my B.Ed. teachers were utterly uninspiring. For that matter, I have found most people who come claiming to be experts are quite insipid. I happened to be present at a training programme for teachers a couple of weeks back. The expert, who was the principal of a school, turned out to be so vapid that more than half the attending teachers left the programme midway. Subject expertise alone does not make a good teacher.

Teaching is an art. Like the actor honing his skills at the School of Drama, a teacher can learn many skills from academic courses and programmes. I picked up the skills required for effective teaching from the classrooms of St Joseph’s school where I was a learner along with my students. That is the first quality a teacher should possess: be a learner. When you teach any topic, look at it as if you are the dumbest student of your class. How would you, the dimwit of the class, want this topic to be presented? That was my secret. If I taught factorisation, I started with factors.

That worked well too. But I failed to learn a great lesson at St Joseph’s. The most important lesson for any teacher is that he/should touch the heart of every student if he/she is to be really effective. I didn’t do that at St Joseph’s. I was too young to learn that, maybe. I learnt this lesson when I started working at Sawan Public School, Delhi, which was an exclusively residential school for boys. Around 500 boys stayed in 5 hostels. The teachers as well as all non-teaching staff including a resident doctor and nurse and cooks and waiters and gardeners stayed on the campus. It was an enormous family. The heart matters more than anything else in such an ambience. Sawan is the place where I perfected my teaching skills as best as I could. That is where I understood the real meaning of Antoine de Saint-Exupery’s words: “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

When Sawan was shut down by the greed and malice of a godman, I was heartbroken. I went into severe depression which kept me out of public domain altogether for over half a year. I quit blogging too. The students of Carmel Public School near my village sustained me in that painful period.

Students have been my best sustenance. That has to come to an end too. This is probably the last year of my career as a teacher. After 37 years of teaching, I look back with satisfaction. My life wasn’t as futile as a godman and his women in Delhi and some Catholic missionaries in Shillong tried to make it out to be. Ironically, that godman, his women and those missionaries were all teachers. The fundamental difference between them and me is: they wanted to mould others in their own images while I have only helped my students to mould themselves. They play the role of gods in others’ lives and I play the role of a good friend in my students’ lives.

It was not an easy journey, however, from a moulder of destinies to an abiding friend. I learnt that the difficult way. By making mistakes, committing blunders, learning through experiences. In that process, it is possible that many were hurt. Let me extend an unconditional apology to any student whose progress towards self-fulfilment was impeded because of my personal drawbacks. Let me thank the hundreds who still remember me and extend greetings on this day.

Comments

  1. The world needs more teachers like you. Proud to have been your student! Happy teachers day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably don't realise how much you motivated me!

      Delete
  2. Those who got a chance to sit in your class and learn from you are so lucky and blessed .....thank you for being my teacher .❣️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just seeing you smile makes me happy. Keep smiling 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true teacher would say sir, I met you in sawan. We had spend almost 2 year together. I had lovely time with you and ma'am. You always a inspiration to all your co teachers and students.
    Your blogs always help us to recall all our time which we had in delhi.
    All the best sir for your future and keep in connect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's always great to hear such words. Sawan remains etched in my heart.

      Delete
  5. I've a confession to make, the political idea's that you taught in school, take it as my immaturity or lack of knowledge, I was always against it! But with time I've realised you were not wrong, things happening in our country presently is wrong for sure! I'm sorry I couldn't understand how far-sighted you were! Today I'm also a firm believer of Gandhian philosophy, trying to bring small changes in my vicinity! Happy Teacher's Day Sir! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had tremendous potential on which I counted many times even defying the rules of the school. I stand vindicated now by this comment. 👍

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    It is true that most teachers are forgotten because they make no impression upon the lives of those they teach. Then there will be one or two who remain with us always - either for being extraordinarily bad (I still shudder at the memory of Mr Humby), or extraordinarily good (thank you dear Mr McNeill). Pranaams to you on this auspiciious day. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The loveliest of the blogs ever posted by the veteran teacher and my guru! With similar realization, smiles of young faces in class, drama, dance, and lots of humour and love, my classes are lighter I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a wonderful read. Am sure you've been a very good teacher. Students need a friend in their teachers too. Your writing speaks for that. Happy Teachers' Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual your blog is so full of great insights. Thnk you for continuing to direct us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely post! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. What is candid and comes from the heart never fails to touch others. Wishing you the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Proud to be your student!!!
    Dear sir you were not only a teacher but also a very best friend for everyone. Sometimes coming to school was just to attend your classes.Thank you for all the love and care you have given us.Thank you Sir !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts