Skip to main content

The Ideal Blog

There is no ideal blog, let us face that plain truth. There are over 600 million blogs in the world today, out of over 1.9 billion websites. More than 3 billion blog posts are published each year worldwide. Almost 6000 blog posts are published each minute. And these posts deal with topics like How to make coconut chutney and What to pack if you are travelling to Timbuktu. People blog about food, travel, fashion, movies, photography, and what not. People like me blog about almost everything under the sun. Yes, there is politics in my blog and there is philosophy. There is fiction and there is provocation. Some of my most popular posts are rather mediocre stuff written for students. What I consider my best writing has invariably got poor readership.

My presently active blog is about a decade old. It has clocked over a million views so far with the graph showing very encouraging slopes. Let me speak here from my personal experience and not as an expert on anything, least of all blogging. 


First and foremost, I don’t write blog posts for money. That matters. Mine is a personal blog that I maintain for the sheer pleasure of writing. That is why I don’t have what ‘successful’ bloggers call a ‘niche’. But I write consistently and regularly. I have very strong views and convictions about a lot of things and they do make their presence felt, sometimes painfully so, in my posts. My readers know that too. They come to my blog expecting certain bluntness and audacity. That blunt audacity is my ‘niche’ perhaps. That audacity amuses many readers, it provokes some, and it hurts a few.

Even if I wish to mellow that audacity, I can’t. That’s the simple truth. Because that audacity runs in my veins. That audacity lies in the marrow of my bones. In other words, my writing emerges primarily from my heart. There is authenticity in my writing. That is another quality required of any ‘successful’ writer.

Never compromise on quality. That is very important. Even if you’re writing about how bored you are, make it interesting for the reader by providing something to ponder on. Ensure that your style suits your topic. Bring in something new, something that the readers haven’t heard yet about boredom. You may be forced to make a choice between boredom and suffering, but enable your reader to discover her genius that lies dormant beneath the veneer of her boredom. Yes, you the writer have to suffer in order to bring quality to your reader. Writing is not for lethargic people.

Your blog must have a personality.  It comes naturally if you are authentic. If you are trying to be diplomatic where your readers expect accuracy, there is no chance for you to succeed. We live in a world of diplomacies of all sorts. They call it post-truth world. Nevertheless, the yearning for truth lies at the bottom of every heart. No blogger can afford to ignore that in the long run.

Finally, even a personal blogger has to remember one thing: the moment you decide to make your writing public it ceases to be personal. Any discourse, even your most personal diary entry, that is put up in a public space becomes a public discourse that is open to discussion, debate and criticism. You have the right to say what you believe is true and the others have an equal right to cut your truth into pieces. Your writing is not personal once you put it up for the public to read.


PS. This post is a part of Blogchatter Blog Hop

 

Comments

  1. True words has the flow and the flow comes from the heart hence the authenticity which comes as you push forward. Tbh these words kept ringing in my head as I went through your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That flow is what makes one's writing attractive primarily. I'm aware of the occasional rough edges that come in my writing. Happens.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Excellent!!! Spot on - you voice all those things that keep me blogging and reading blogs. Keep at it!!! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. People like you keep me moving ahead in this space.

      Delete
  3. Yours is everything that traditional blogging has been about. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's traditional blogging that I stick to. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations for clocking over a million views.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that even if you write for your sheer pleasure, you should have a disciplined way to enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I concur that it's important to have a structured way to enjoy the writing process, even if it's only for personal enjoyment. Three New Security Tools are Released by WhatsApp to Stop Hackers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts