Skip to main content

Why religion baffles me

Sunday meditation

“Didn’t you cut open the womb of a woman and eat the foetus?” It was Kadammanitta Ramakrishnan, a celebrated Malayalam poet, who put that blunt question to a Gujarati trader who was travelling with him on a train. Kadammanitta was returning to Kerala after a visit to the post-Godhra Gujarat. The poet had seen the agonies of thousands of people living in Gujarat’s refugee camps and heard their heart-rending stories. The Gujarati trader on the train had asked the poet a question: “Are you a non-vegetarian?” “I’m not very particular about food,” Kadammanitta answered. “What about you?” The Gujarati’s brag was: “I’m a Vaishnavite. We are pure vegetarians.” It was then the poet asked him the question about eating the foetus.

Later Kadammanitta composed a couple of poems on what he had seen in Gujarat of 2002. One of them was about a group of pure-vegetarian Vaishnavites setting fire to a banyan tree under which a boy named Kamrem Alam had taken shelter. The boy became a ball of fire and soon reached the feet of God Vishnu but his ashes wouldn’t serve to fertilise the Aswatha. The poem is titled The Aswatha of Bapuji Nagar and has a reference to a line from the Gita: Aswatha sarva vrakshaanaam.

Kadammanitta wrote an ode to Bilkis Bano. What the pure vegetarians did to her made the poet hate himself, he wrote in the poem. “I accepted the curse of being born a human as I listened to what my fellow beings did to you.” 

Whenever I hear religious people talking about divine blessings, Kadammanitta (who was a devout Hindu) rushes to my mind. Why doesn’t the world become any better a place with so much religion around? That is the plain question which haunts me whenever I see thousands of people flocking to pilgrimage centres like Sabarimala (the pilgrimage season has just begun) or Bible Conventions or many other similar religious gatherings. There is so much devotion and yet there is ever-increasing evil all around. How do we justify religion at all?

What baffles me no end is that there is more evil perpetrated in the name of religion than good. I have no doubt that religion helps many people to be good and to do good. Their number is infinitesimal. That is my problem. If religion doesn’t help people to be good, what use is it? On the contrary, religion seems to make more people inhuman! That does baffle me.

In one of his letters (which became part of the Bible) Paul wrote: “If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love in my heart, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.” The problem with today’s religious people is precisely that: they are little more than resounding gongs and clanging cymbals. Religion that does not touch the heart of the worshipper does more harm than good. That is what I learn from my observations.

PS. I took Kadammanitta and his poems as examples only. The problem of religious violence is ubiquitous. There is no religion that has escaped this catastrophic fate. All the more reason why we need to look at the problem seriously. 

 

 

 

 

Top post on Blogchatter

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    True. Faith structures are intended for each individual to measure and better themselves as they intereact with society - not judge that society and fall to the basest nature. Yet it seems that, en masse, the individual is lost. Herd mentality takes over and there is nothing but bestial instinct then. And the religion they profess then becomes nothing but a badge, a club... a den of animals. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today those faith structures are being used as power strategies. Why people never learn essential lessons is quite a mystery.

      Delete
  2. A powerful piece. Yet so distressing leaving you with a feeling of powerlessness amidst it all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That powerlessness is indeed the tragedy humankind, I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts