Skip to main content

The Karamazov Brothers



It is impossible to summarise Dostoevsky’s magnum opus, The Karamazov Brothers, in a few paragraphs. As the title indicates, it is the story of the three Karamazov brothers: Dmitry, Ivan and Alyosha, in descending order of seniority, though Ivan plays the major role. Their father, Fyodor, is a lustful hedonist who loves only himself. He has one more son born out of the wedlock, Smerdyakov, a malicious character who ends up killing himself after killing his father. However, it is Dmitry who is accused of parricide and Ivan walks into the court and claims to be the murderer.

Dmitry is a man of the flesh, Ivan of the mind, and Alyosha of the spirit, in short. The novel is about the conflict among these. The body loves the world’s indulgences. The mind wants logic and reason. The spirit craves to transcend all these. Fyodor Karamazov’s murder brings out the dominant traits of his sons.

Evil is one of the dominant themes of the novel. Evil is a theme that has baffled philosophers and theologians for long. Ivan rejects God because of evil. If God is good, how come there is so much evil in his creation? If God is omnipotent, why doesn’t he eradicate evil from His world? Logically God is an impossibility. And if there is no God, everything is permitted and morality makes no sense. Smerdyakov takes that argument of Ivan literally and ends up killing his father who was his rival in the pursuit of the hottest woman around. But it is Dmitry who is accused of the crime because of circumstantial evidences.

Ivan is noble to take up the responsibility for making his step-brother a murderer. He realises that his kind of thinking can lead people to commit all sorts of atrocities. Most people won’t take logic and reason far enough to realise that good is a rational choice over evil. That is why people need food for their souls – religion, for instance.

Alyosha and his spiritual mentor at the monastery, Father Zosima, show what spirituality should mean to people. Their religion is a respect for all creatures irrespective of whether they are good or bad. The really spiritual person knows to accept both the good and the evil of God’s creation. Love is acceptance of the whole, warts and deformities included. To believe in God is to put your trust in love, kindness, forgiveness and a devotion to goodness.

Evil is caused by people who are not able to discover love and goodness in themselves and others. There are amoral evils like earthquakes and tsunamis. They are natural processes and even Ivan is willing to accept them. It is man’s evil that haunts Ivan’s thoughts like a vindictive demon. Why did God make human beings so evil?

There is no logical answer, Father Zosima would say. But there is a solution. The solution is faith. Believe in whatever goodness is there. Say ‘Yes’ to that goodness. The moment you say ‘Yes’ to something without having to look for logical props, you are beginning to put your trust in that reality. Trust leads to love. Trust is love. Hell is the absence of love. In the words of Father Zosima, hell is “the suffering of being unable to love”.

Suffering is good, Father Zosima teaches us. Suffering can be a purifying process. Suffering can be the crucible in which the soul melts and sheds its impurities. The pure soul can kneel down at the public crossroads, bend down and kiss the soil of the earth and say, ‘I accept.’ That acknowledgement of the given reality is the pure soul’s mantra. It accepts the earth with its brambles and briars too. The pure soul accepts its own insignificance. And then a whole new cosmos unfolds before you.

Ivan’s heart is as good as his logical brain. That is precisely the problem. The conflict within him between the heart that yearns for goodness and the brain that analyses the evil around is overwhelming. It leads him to delirium in the end. He can save himself either by accepting his little brother Alyosha’s religious faith as taught by Father Zosima or by coming to terms intellectually with his own responsibility to be good even if there is no God.


PS. This is part of a series being written for the #BlogchatterA2Z Challenge. The previous parts are:
Tomorrow: Lord of the Flies







Comments

  1. My father owned a copy of The Idiot but somehow I never got around to reading that book. Thank you for this recommendation. I think I must visit Dostoevsky. I've delayed it for long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dostoevsky is one of the best novelists that the world ever saw. I'd say the Karamazov Brothers is his best work.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I really love your book recommendations. I must admit I need to gear up on my reading list. So many new on the wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear this, Jyoti. These are all world classics - with just a couple of exceptions like 'Illusions'.

      Delete
  3. I too have a copy of The Idiot, but I never finished reading it. I've heard much about Dostoevsky's work. I'll get to reading it soon. It's an interesting question about the need for god if we can have a conscience even without Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read Dostoevsky and then Camus. You'll find a whole intellectual iceberg stopping your ship.

      Delete
    2. Albert Camus? Any particular recommendation?

      Delete
    3. I'm presenting Plague in this series. But Outsider, and Rebel are equally good.

      Delete
  4. Sir, Now this is a must read for mr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminded me of the movie, The Good, the Bad, the Ugly. Ofcourse, The Karmazov Brothers is far more layered and intricate than the movie. I fell in love with Dostoevsky for his detailed study of nature of people and their portrayal in the plot.
    Never read any book by Dostoevsky but believe now is time to lay my hand on one.
    Thanks for sharing this gem with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An extremely complex novelist, Dostoevsky can enchant any intelligent reader.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful write up about one of the all time great works of literature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to say about this novel. I resisted the temptation to go on.

      Delete
  7. A classic that I read many many years ago. Maybe I should read it once again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really should read this book.... These lines make me wonder too "If God is good, how come there is so much evil in his creation? If God is omnipotent, why doesn’t he eradicate evil from His world? Logically God is an impossibility. And if there is no God, everything is permitted and morality makes no sense."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a highly thought-provoking and disturbing novel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc