Skip to main content

The Story of a Dictionary



My first dictionary was a gift from an uncle who was a teacher. He gave it to me when I passed the first Board examination of my life at the age of 15 with a total score that was comparatively good. Good in the family, that is. It was a Concise Oxford Dictionary which served me well for many years. In due course of time, an Advanced Oxford took its place. I was in love with both these dictionaries, so to say. I loved words. I loved them so much that I didn’t love anything else apparently.

Words are drugs. You can get addicted to them. I was intoxicated by them. That’s one of the reasons why I leaped at the opportunity when a Reader’s Digest Universal Dictionary was offered to me at a discounted price in 1991. When I look back at that opportunity, it appears more like fiction.

I was giving a party after I passed the master’s in English language and literature while working as a schoolteacher in Shillong. The party was arranged at a friend’s house since my own rented house was a bachelor’s meagre accommodation. That friend, let me call him Y, brought out the brand-new massive dictionary and asked whether I wanted it for a price he quoted or he asked me to quote. I forget certain details. I remember that we were all quite drunk. I remember that the deal was struck rather instantaneously. I also remember what Y told me about how he had got the dictionary. He had got it as a gift while subscribing to the Reader’s Digest magazine. Later on I learnt that he had no habit of reading any magazine, let alone subscribe to one. He was not a reader at all. How he came by that dictionary remained a mystery to me for ever. Why he chose to give it to me at a high discount was a bigger mystery. Why he forged a story about a subscription was also a mystery.

I cannot ask him. Y is no more. Even if I had asked, I would only have got a new story. There was something miasmic about Y’s entire dealings with me, as I realised later. But he was a good man, no doubt. All good people have a miasmic aura about them. That’s something I came to notice many years after the Universal Dictionary became my prized possession. People like me who were invariably perceived and projected as bad had a deleterious transparency. Today I am far less transparent than in those days and hence I am not perceived as bad by people around me. I think so, at least.

The Universal Dictionary has continued to occupy space on my bookshelf to this day though I never use it. I depend on an app in my phone now when I need to check meanings. Or there is the omniscient Google. Between the infinite omniscience of Google and its noncorporeality rises the miasma of some memories that has the corpulence of a massive dictionary.  

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Hah! This triggered memories of a wee Collins sitting on my shelf that was gifted by an elder long back, who sought to encourage my writing. I love it for the object it is and also for the fond memory of an erudite gentleman - but treat it also as a treasure that needs preserving in case it falls apart. Thus, I too rely on the modern, touch of a key variety! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain things are precious just because of memories.

      Delete
  2. OMG, I am sure I have my dictionary somewhere in the house. It was such an essential part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's generation wonders what a dictionary is 😊

      Delete
  3. This made me smile ��. especially when you said , Y would have told you another story! Friends are always like that. Sorry to know that he is know more. I love words too, but I realised it quite late. This brought back memories when I got my new Oxford Dictionary. It felt like a prize .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dictionaries have their own stories behind. In many of our homes, they are like an asset that someone inherit from his parents or grand parents!

    //I cannot ask him. Y is no more. Even if I had asked, I would only have got a new story. There was something miasmic about Y’s entire dealings with me// You helped me to smile in this line, sir :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my father had quite a few dictionaries: English - Malayalam, Hindi-Malayalam, Malayalam - Malayalam, and so on. They are still there in the family collection, i think.

      Delete
  5. Always good to read your life❣️

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an interesting way to learn new words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to have had teachers who strictly encouraged the use of dictionary in my junior grades, which helped me learn a variety of new words. But i've always loved the Thesaurus more. And, like you said, words are drugs, you can get addicted and intoxicated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words really are drugs, reminds me of something one of the three Musketeers said, "Only the wrong words are a complete waste of time, the right words, can make a lasting impression more than a thousand of one of those kisses."

    And yes good people do smell different at times...xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely addition to the post from the musketeer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the