Skip to main content

Happy Days of Long Ago

 My school days ended long, long ago. Those were days when there were fish in the rivers, birds in the trees, and oxygen in the air. Now one of the two rivers in my village is almost a drain and the other washes all the filth dumped on its banks every day by Development [Sabka Vikas, Sabka Saath - like Delhi Police, Always With You]. The birds have vanished except a couple of crows that come to drink water from my cats' plates occasionally. Food is not much of a problem for them since a lot of garbage lies piled up on roadsides. I miss those dragonflies and fireflies with which I held conversations long, long ago.

Those were days when people went to temples, mosques or churches and came out feeling compassion for other creatures. At least without hatred in hearts. They didn't bother about Akbar or Macaulay. If a Narendran saw a Hyderali in need on the roadside, he would rush to help. Gods weren't bloodthirsty in those days.

Viswanathan, Muhammadkutty and I sat on the same bench in school and merrily recited Ulloor's lines about love being the driving force of the planet. We were in class 8. Romance was longing to dance in our hearts. But romance was forbidden. Moral police flourished in those days too though not as diabolically as now. Love was divine while romance was devilish except for those who wielded the powers. We, the little students, were not even expected to throw as much as a furtive glance at the other side of the classroom where the girls sat. 

But Elsa (not her real name) had entered my heart furtively. Without her knowledge, probably, though our eyes were trapped in wistful gazes more frequently than the catechism lessons would ever permit. I wrote love letters that were never delivered to Elsa. Viswanathan delivered them to Vanaja.

One day Viswanathan caught me writing a love letter. All my love letters were inspired by Vayalar's movie songs which our battery-run transistor played whenever father decided to listen to the radio. I wrote about the fish that swam in the deep pools of Elsa's eyes. My love letters expressed my longing to build a Taj Mahal with the marble of my ossified dreams. 

Adolescent and romantic (foolish?)

Viswanathan threatened to publicise my love songs. Elsa's name was not mentioned in any of them. But I would be flogged anyway for daring to rush in where the devils would fear to tread. Viswanathan suggested a compromise. "Write similar letters for me to give to Vanaja."  

I don't know whether Vanaja allowed Viswan to tread into/upon her heart. I don't know where Elsa is now. I never met any of them since 1975. Do they long, like me, for the simple goodness that prevailed in those days? Do they long for fish in the rivers and oxygen in the air and the dragonflies on flowers?

No, I don't want to go back to those days ever. I love my present with its mobile phone with the internet. I love the virtual reality today, the distance given by that virtual reality between you and me. Proximity is dangerous in our present world. You don't know when someone will drive in a knife behind your back. In those good ol' days, people attacked from the front if at all they attacked. 

PS. This post is a part of Blogchatter Blog Hop of

www.theblogchatter.com


Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Ah, nostalgia... a Utopian place even though we know it as imperfect! I am still in touch with a handful of childhood pals; we all remember differently the same things (if at all we remember). To each their own Utopia and to each, their Hell... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't Utopia really. That's why I said I didn't want to return. I know the past is not history but a fabrication of our imaginations and longings.

      Delete
  2. Nicely woven past. Acche Din was in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gods weren't bloodthirsty in those days. - what a line. My friends and I often say we were lucky we were in school in the before social media era. Classmates are cruel enough without the social proof or validation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today in one of my classes (12),in connection with the lesson, I asked whether the world would be a better place in future. No was the instant and unanimous response. The young students think we're making it worse and worse. Happy days are really gone.

      Delete
  4. You are a wonderful writer, TM! This was such a brilliant read, wrapped up in nostalgia, longing and beautiful memories.
    Mayuri/Sirimiri

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our childhood, when we met someone and asked their name, we never made a connection with their religion. Sadly, it's different now. Our religious and ethnic identities are more under scrutiny today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tragic situation. People are so suspicious of each other now because of religion whereas the purpose of religion is just the opposite.

      Delete
  6. This post is a wonderful read, written with your usual dose of sarcasm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memoirs are always fun to read. I enjoyed this one too. A nice picture you have posted too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the earliest pic of mine I could find in my collection.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I agree that the old days were truly better than today. Evety era some postives and negatives to its credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entropy is the law here and evil will only increase.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the