Skip to main content

Kabir the Guru - 1

Kabirvad


Kabirvad is a banyan tree in Gujarat. It is named after Kabir, the mystic poet and saint of the 15th century. There is a legend behind the tree. Two brothers are in search of a guru. They have an intuitive feeling that the guru will appear when they are ready for it. They plant a dry banyan root at a central spot in their courtyard. Whenever a sadhu passes by, they wash his feet at this particular spot. Their conviction is that the root will sprout into a sapling when their guru appears. Years pass and there’s no sign of any sapling. No less than four decades later, the sapling rises.

The man who had come the previous day was a beggarly figure whom the brothers didn’t treat particularly well though they gave him some water to drink out of courtesy. But the sapling rose, after 40 years! So the brothers went in search of that beggarly figure. Kabir, the great 15th century mystic poet, had been their guest. The legend says that the brothers became Kabir’s disciples. The banyan tree is still found in Gujarat.

This may be one of the umpteen legends that came up when Kabir became popular in Varanasi and around as a poet, a mystic, a guru, and a teacher though he was just an illiterate weaver by profession.

When I was teaching in a school in Delhi, every now and then I would hear some dohas [couplets] of Kabir recited in the morning assembly. I didn’t understand much of them because their lingo was quite different from the modern Hindi.

What should be of interest to us today is that Kabir chose to write in Hindi in a time when Persian and Sanskrit were the dominant languages in North India. Moreover, Kabir was a Muslim. His King was a Muslim. Why did he choose to sing in Hindi and that too expressing devotion to Lord Ram?

Sing, I said. Yes, Kabir was an illiterate weaver. He didn’t write. He sang. And in most of his songs, Lord Ram of Hinduism stands out as the dominant god. Kabir loved Ram for reasons we may be given in due course of time though that is not quite likely since India’s present historians won’t be interested in a Muslim poet even if he was a fervent devotee of Ram.

Vipul Rikhi’s book, Drunk on Love: The Life, Vision and Songs of Kabir renewed my interest in the mystic singer. I have finished reading the book. My review will be up here tomorrow.

Kabir deserves a revisit today when some Hindus have chosen to victimise a lot of people for worshipping gods that are not Hindus. Now, do gods have religion? Are gods fighting up there in the cosmic spaces for their own kingdoms like we do here on earth? For example, will Lord Rama flex his muscles on seeing the palatial temple built for him by THE Narendra Modi in Rama’s putative birthplace of Ayodhya? Will Rama go to Allah and say something like, “You see how my beloved Modiji is honouring me with the kind of humility that he doesn’t really have!” And imagine Allah telling him that his [Allah’s] beloved people have constructed a palatial temple in Abu Dhabi for a Hindu god. Will Allah be jealous? Will Rama be arrogant? Will they start a star war? Will Jesus send Angel Gabriel to convert Rama and Allah to Christianity? And then will some RSS guy crop up there on a Treta Yug Pushpak Vimaan to shoot a couple of antediluvian arrows at Allah and label Jesus as Rice Bag?

Will Kabir sing there his 15th century song?

If Allah lives in the mosque

Who occupies the rest of the world?

If Ram inhabits idols and temples

Why did no one find him there?

We have so much religion today. So much – I’m using the word much, not many, purposely. Too much religion. Kabir hated it. And we will see that tomorrow. We will take a deeper look at Vipul Rikhi’s book tomorrow.

 

Comments

  1. Agreed, there is too much religion around at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you wonder too, as I do, why humans don't civilise themselves more and thus go beyond the need for religion?

      Delete
  2. It's unique! The style is always exceptional and the perspective is beyond the perception of ordinary readers like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure those dohas which our students used to chant melodiously in the morning assemblies. They held a charm for me. But the meaning becomes clear now only when I read this book.

      Delete
  3. Even Valmiki will surprise seeing today's BJP Rama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. The Maryada Purushottam has been converted into a warcry!

      Delete
  4. We do have too much religion and that will be the cause of our downfall. We've already stooped so low. It saddens me. Such a well written post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most Indians don't seem to understand the deadly game that is being played, especially that it is at their own expense.

      Delete
  5. Loved these lines : " Will Rama go to Allah and say something like, “You see how my beloved Modiji is honouring me with the kind of humility that he doesn’t really have!” And imagine Allah telling him that his [Allah’s] beloved people have constructed a palatial temple in Abu Dhabi for a Hindu god. Will Allah be jealous? Will Rama be arrogant? "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If gods behaved like their devotees, there'd would be star wars all the time 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

X the variable

X is the most versatile and hence a very precious entity in mathematics. Whenever there is an unknown quantity whose value has to be discovered, the mathematician begins with: Let the unknown quantity be x . This A2Z series presented a few personalities who played certain prominent roles in my life. They are not the only ones who touched my life, however. There are so many others, especially relatives, who left indelible marks on my psyche in many ways. I chose not to bring relatives into this series. Dealing with relatives is one of the most difficult jobs for me. I have failed in that task time and again. Miserably sometimes. When I think of relatives, O V Vijayan’s parable leaps to my mind. Father and little son are on a walk. “Be careful lest you fall,” father warns the boy. “What will happen if I fall?” The boy asks. The father’s answer is: “Relatives will laugh.” One of the harsh truths I have noticed as a teacher is that it is nearly impossible to teach your relatives – nephews

Zorba’s Wisdom

Zorba is the protagonist of Nikos Kazantzakis’s novel Zorba the Greek . I fell in love with Zorba the very first time I read the novel. That must have been in my late 20s. I read the novel again after many years. And again a few years ago. I loved listening to Zorba play his santuri . I danced with him on the Cretan beaches. I loved the devil inside Zorba. I called that devil Tomichan. Zorba tells us the story of a monk who lived on Mount Athos. Father Lavrentio. This monk believed that a devil named Hodja resided in him making him do all wrong things. Hodja wants to eat meet on Good Friday, Hodja wants to sleep with a woman, Hodja wants to kill the Abbot… The monk put the blame for all his evil thoughts and deeds on Hodja. “I’ve a kind of devil inside me, too, boss, and I call him Zorba!” Zorba says. I met my devil in Zorba. And I learnt to call it Tomichan. I was as passionate as Zorba was. I enjoyed life exuberantly. As much as I was allowed to, at least. The plain truth is