Skip to main content

Oh, Jerusalem!


It was midnight.  27 Nov 1917.

Khalil al-Sakakini had put aside the book he was reading and was getting ready to go to bed when a knock on the door of his home in the Katamon area of Jerusalem jolted him, gentle though the knock was. 

“Alter Levin!” gasped Khalil on seeing his midnight visitor.  Levin was known to Khalil as an American citizen, an insurance agent, and also a poet of some repute. 

Worse, Levin was a Jew. 

“Give me refuge,” pleaded Levin.  As an American citizen, he had been ordered to surrender himself to the Ottoman authorities. 


The War was going on.  Khalil could hear the rumble of artillery around Jerusalem rolling like reverberating thunder.  The British troops were closing in.  Any foreigner who failed to surrender to the authorities would be considered a spy, as would anyone sheltering one.

Here was a Jew seeking refuge at the door of a Muslim.

Khalil was not a bigot. Rather, he was a scholar, an educator and a writer. 

“If I accept him, I’m a traitor to my government; and if I refuse him, I’m a traitor to my language,” Khalil wrote in his diary later.  By “language” he meant his Arab identity and loyalty to it.  “I told myself that he wasn’t appealing simply to me for refuge, but to my whole people as represented in me.  He was appealing to the literature expressed in my language, before the coming of Islam and after it.  He was appealing to that ancient Bedouin who sheltered a hyena fleeing from its pursuers and entering his tent.  And I should add that he had bestowed a great honour on me by coming to me for refuge.”

He opened his door to the virtual enemy.

A week passed.  Khalil was beginning to feel confident about the safety of his guest as well as himself when another midnight knock on his door jolted him.

The police had tracked Levin down.  They had arrested and beaten up a Jewish woman who had been asked by Levin to smuggle kosher food to him.  

“Man, why didn’t you eat our food, God forgive you?  If you thought our food was impure, then we must be impure too...  So how could you take refuge with us?  Oh, religions!  Oh, foolish minds, rather!  How many victims have you claimed?”  We read in Khalil’s diary.  [Highlight added]

Death was the penalty for treason.  Both Khalil and Levin counted the moments left to them. 

But the Ottoman Empire was in the throes of death.  Chaos prevailed over Jerusalem. 

"Oh, Jerusalem, Jerusalem! You who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.”  Jesus had cried two millennia ago.

Khalil and his Judas, both spent 40 days in prison before being released.  Khalil joined the Arab Revolt forces which were fighting with the British forces in the World War. 

When the War was over, in 1919, Khalil and Levin met each other in Jerusalem.  Levin bowed his head in gratitude. 

In 1933, Levin committed suicide apparently because his business was in trouble.

Khalil al-Sakakini died in Cairo in 1953 as an exile.  His diary, Such Am I, O World, describes the formative period of Palestinian resistance to Zionism.  It illustrates the shattering of Arab nationalist hopes, the sharpening of Palestinian identity, and the growing despair and militancy of Palestinians as they watched their land being bought up and settled by Jewish immigrants.


Note: I have adapted the post from Anton La Guardia’s book, Holy Land, Unholy War: Israelis and Palestinians, London: John Murray, 2002.  I bow my head in shame and grief over the killings going on in Gaza.  

Comments

  1. So much hatred, intolerance & unspoken pain around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until people understand the futility of some of their beliefs and notions, the situation won't improve.

      Delete
  2. Levin committed suicide. All the kosher food and the observance of his religious laws could not save him from despair. That is how religion fails. Your highlight is the central message of this incident from history. Religions kill rather than save people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True religion is yet to be taught, though learned within by every individual.
      Till such time art of teaching religion is mastered, teaching it should be banned.

      Delete
    2. Banning will only make it more potent, I think. Such is the power of religion over the human psyche. Each one of us can and should keep trying to raise the consciousness level of people: that's the remedy I can see.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Globalisation is all about commerce. Both America and UK mint billions by selling arms to Israel. That's globalisation.

      Delete
  4. I've read somewhere prior to 1946 - palestine consisted major part of now what is Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nandini, Please read the following link to understand the politics behind American statements about Palestine being Jordan:
      http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/177782#.U94jOOOSxe4

      Delete
  5. When I read about such times, I feel gratitude that I am living in a peaceful surroundings. But then I think what if I have reborn from such times.. What if I was in a camp like Annie frank or I was a sikh migrant during partition. And what if I die to be in such times.. And then again, I think thankfully, I am right now in a peaceful surroundings and pray for those who are not..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your peace could be ephemeral, Roohi, if somebody in India decides to do what Israel is doing in Gaza right now. Revanchism. Trying to reclaim land that their ancestors lived in centuries ago... What if somebody in India decides to do the same and starts dropping bombs or doing something similar with the intention of making India a single-religion country?

      Delete
    2. Yes you are absolutely right.. that's why I savor this peace as it is as you call, ephemeral :) I pray for peace in Gaza and everywhere..

      Delete
  6. very nice post Sir! I think this problem is a very sad one...in fact y'de I was reading some forums in wich comments were like...'as jews are cursed that they'll nvr get a homeland as per holy book & they know it, so they r using ghastly force 2 cling on to this land...till end of time they r bound 2 remain stateless'...

    Is there really this religious angle to it? Coz USA backing it steadfastly is due to powerful rich Zionist lobby in America...plus using Israel fr its own national interests & funding it heavily...

    But this is so completely unfair 2 Palestinians...Pan-Arabism also seems inactive nw...no Muslim states r raising their voices wich seems very unreal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely is a religious angle to the issue, Amrita. Israel is the land promised to the Jews by their God, according to the Old Testament of the Bible (which the Jews too accept as their holy scriptures). It's also a fact that the Jews were a "wandering people" for many centuries, so much so that many people believed they were an accursed lot. Christianity labelled them as the killers of Jesus and no lost opportunity to persecute them for that very reason.

      The Arab politics is controlled by America and its oil business. Many of the rulers and powerful Arabs are puppets of America. That's why Palestinians don't have supporters except the fundamentalists and terrorists.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blind Lady’s Descendants

Book Review Title: The Blind Lady’s Descendants Author: Anees Salim Publisher: Penguin India 2015 Pages: 301 Price: Rs 399 A metaphorical blindness is part of most people’s lives.  We fail to see many things and hence live partial lives.  We make our lives as well as those of others miserable with our blindness.  Anees Salim’s novel which won the Raymond & Crossword award for fiction in 2014 explores the role played by blindness in the lives of a few individuals most of whom belong to the family of Hamsa and Asma.  The couple are not on talking terms for “eighteen years,” according to the mother.  When Amar, the youngest son and narrator of the novel, points out that he is only sixteen, Asma reduces it to fifteen and then to ten years when Amar refers to the child that was born a few years after him though it did not survive.  Dark humour spills out of every page of the book.  For example: How reckless Akmal was!  Sleeping with his mouth wide open righ

Romancing the Past

A few years back, when I was teaching Jack Finney’s story The Third Level in a section of grade 12, I put a question to the entire class: “If you get a chance to live in another time, which would you choose – past or future?” Ann [not her real name] put up her hand first. “Future,” she said. In Finney’s story, Charley chooses to go back to Galesburg of 1894. He loves those big old frame houses, huge lawns, and tremendous trees with branches roofing the streets. It’s a ‘cool’ place whose evenings were “twice as long.” Life was a relaxed affair. People had time to sit out in the evenings, sipping tea and playing music on their guitars. There would be fireflies all around. Peaceful world. Charley wanted that world. My question to the class was in relation to that description of an old world. “My father speaks about the horrors of his childhood,” Ann said. “There was poverty. Not enough food to eat, no proper clothes to wear, no vehicles to carry you… Who wants to go back there?” An

Kashmir and Politics

Book Title: Farooq of Kashmir Authors: Ashwini Bhatnagar & R C Ganjoo Publisher: Fingerprint, New Delhi, 2023 Pages: 330 This book is much more than a biography of Farooq Abdullah. It is a short history of the trouble-torn Kashmir. Though Farooq remains at the centre of the history, his father Sheikh Abdullah is given ample space in the first few chapters. Towards the end of the book, Farooq’s son Omar gets due attention too. Kashmir went through a lot of pain and misery ever since India became independent. Its political leaders as well as their religious counterparts were mostly responsible for all that pain and misery. Add to that the nefarious role played by the neighbouring country of Pakistan. Pakistan has been a thorn in the very heart of Kashmir right from Independence. The political leaders and religious terrorists of that country have left no stone unturned to make Kashmir their own. Understanding Kashmir’s unique condition, independent India had given the st

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Happy Women's Day

I have had more female colleagues than males in my entire teaching career. Probably why I survived so long in the job. Let me celebrate this Women's Day with them. I haven't been able to get hold of the pics all of them and I express my immense grief on leaving out quite many.  That's my first school where I was a math teacher. You may not recognise me. I'm the second one from left in the last row. This was St Joseph's School, Shillong. I learnt the art of teaching in that school. It was a convent school with only girl students. I still remember a lot of them, my first students. I know I wasn't very kind to them. Math teachers can't be kind - that was what I thought in those days. My own teachers had created that impression in my consciousness and the subconscious as well. All those girls are now mothers and some of them may be grandmothers. Let me tell them that I never meant any harm. I was happy in those days to see them learning math well. Hi, dear ladie