Skip to main content

Maid – an obituary


She died a few days back and I got the news today.  She was a nobody in the village.  For me she was a symbol of fortitude.

From the time I can remember anything about my life she was an integral part of our household.  I remember her carrying things from our house to sell in the market four kilometres away and bringing things back we needed at home.  I remember her bathing my little sisters when they were infants.  I used to watch her bathing the infant.  In the leaf of an arecanut tree.  I remember being astounded by her dexterity.  The infant would laugh at her touch.  Even when she poured cold water on the body, my little sister would laugh.  I used to be fascinated by the sight.  My mother couldn’t extract that kind of laughter from her children.

My mother cannot be blamed.  She had too many children to look after.  Too many servants too.  Workers of the fields were numerous and I can’t recall the names of any one of them.  Mother had to prepare food for them in a kitchen that smelled of smoke and ash.  There was my grandmother to issue a lot of orders to the servant who assisted my mother in the kitchen.  Orders, mother, maids – they confused me quite a lot in those days.  We were ten children in the family adding to the chaos that adults normally make. 

“It was a tough time,” my mother told me years later when I got a job 3000 km away and was on a holiday at home.  “Life was a balancing act.”

During one of those holidays my mother told me that Maria (Mariappennu, as she was called by all of us including me) was the best maid she ever had.  Maria knew all the jobs: from giving bath to infants to cooking to planting saplings in the paddy field. 

Maria was our unavoidable maid.  She was a constant presence in our family.  Her husband, Eipe, was also a similar presence.  I remember how he used to put me in his lap and rub his cheeks against mine.  I remember how I used to be tickled by the bristles on his unshaven cheek.  I used to laugh and he would tickle me further by playing all kinds of childish games with me.  I remember how his mouth smelt  of betel juice which he would spit outside the wall of the front yard.  I remember he always used to wear a cap made of the leaf an arecanut tree.

Eipe died before he could marry off two of his daughters.  One of them was a classmate of mine.  She was beautiful in those days, I recall.  But Eipe’s death had made her mentally ill and the medication in the hospital had her look terrible when I met her after quite a period. Another daughter of theirs had been in chains due to mental illness even when I was a student in the primary school that was just adjacent to their house.  Maria continued to labour for the family, especially for her daughters.  The sons moved out with their own families. 

I met Maria every time I went to Kerala for a vacation.  She would come to my ancestral home where I stayed during the holidays.  I was happy to meet her and she was happy to meet me. I would always give her a small gift which pleased her beyond my understanding. As years passed I could notice age taking hold of her body.  Even to walk on the village roads, that indefatigable woman now required the help of her youngest daughter who was my classmate and who had gone insane for some time in her life.

She didn’t visit me the last time I visited Kerala.  I was told she was not well.  I made a plan to visit her in her house.  I couldn’t.  I had gone on a two-day programme with a specific task.  Tasks control my life nowadays. 


My sister-in-law told my wife today that on Maria’s funeral day it rained heavily in the village.  Maria was a rain when she was alive.  Her funeral deserved the shower. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people have that kind of an impact on our lives. They touch us with their most mundane deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to that Matheikal. How Kerala has changed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice homage Matheikal .. RIP Maria..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps most of us have a story of a Maria, unsung, unmourned in our lives. I am touche that you stopped to remember her and pay a tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maria has a separate name for each one of us. we always have the Maid who is a family. A person inseparable from childhood nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marias are essential for us...still we know so little of them. Thanks for paying a nice tribute to your Maria... RIP...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A touching tribute to a noble soul...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that. May she rest in peace and the concluding lines of your post made her immortal in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A touching piece indeed. My deepest condolences. Feels sad to know that a person you treasured so much is no more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a beautifully written Obituary of Maria. It is surprising how some people make that special place in our hearts. Sometimes when our mothers struggle with daily chores, taking care of huge responsibilities at home or at work, some house-maids with their dedication and affection fill up that space in a special way. May her soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. People like her are close to Gods. Your description makes me believe that she is a good soul who visited the world for short span to spread happiness. May Maria attain final peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful homage. People like her are rare to find as they become part of the family. the selfless service is no longer existing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very rare to find such helping hands , now a days, in cities. One has to be lucky enough to get helpers who connect to the family with affection in their hearts. The family too has to walk that extra mile to make them part of the family whom they serve.

    I have been lucky in this respect. Our family had good hearted helpers all along , who would stick around for decades. This post brings back their memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blind Lady’s Descendants

Book Review Title: The Blind Lady’s Descendants Author: Anees Salim Publisher: Penguin India 2015 Pages: 301 Price: Rs 399 A metaphorical blindness is part of most people’s lives.  We fail to see many things and hence live partial lives.  We make our lives as well as those of others miserable with our blindness.  Anees Salim’s novel which won the Raymond & Crossword award for fiction in 2014 explores the role played by blindness in the lives of a few individuals most of whom belong to the family of Hamsa and Asma.  The couple are not on talking terms for “eighteen years,” according to the mother.  When Amar, the youngest son and narrator of the novel, points out that he is only sixteen, Asma reduces it to fifteen and then to ten years when Amar refers to the child that was born a few years after him though it did not survive.  Dark humour spills out of every page of the book.  For example: How reckless Akmal was!  Sleeping with his mouth wide open righ

Romancing the Past

A few years back, when I was teaching Jack Finney’s story The Third Level in a section of grade 12, I put a question to the entire class: “If you get a chance to live in another time, which would you choose – past or future?” Ann [not her real name] put up her hand first. “Future,” she said. In Finney’s story, Charley chooses to go back to Galesburg of 1894. He loves those big old frame houses, huge lawns, and tremendous trees with branches roofing the streets. It’s a ‘cool’ place whose evenings were “twice as long.” Life was a relaxed affair. People had time to sit out in the evenings, sipping tea and playing music on their guitars. There would be fireflies all around. Peaceful world. Charley wanted that world. My question to the class was in relation to that description of an old world. “My father speaks about the horrors of his childhood,” Ann said. “There was poverty. Not enough food to eat, no proper clothes to wear, no vehicles to carry you… Who wants to go back there?” An

Kashmir and Politics

Book Title: Farooq of Kashmir Authors: Ashwini Bhatnagar & R C Ganjoo Publisher: Fingerprint, New Delhi, 2023 Pages: 330 This book is much more than a biography of Farooq Abdullah. It is a short history of the trouble-torn Kashmir. Though Farooq remains at the centre of the history, his father Sheikh Abdullah is given ample space in the first few chapters. Towards the end of the book, Farooq’s son Omar gets due attention too. Kashmir went through a lot of pain and misery ever since India became independent. Its political leaders as well as their religious counterparts were mostly responsible for all that pain and misery. Add to that the nefarious role played by the neighbouring country of Pakistan. Pakistan has been a thorn in the very heart of Kashmir right from Independence. The political leaders and religious terrorists of that country have left no stone unturned to make Kashmir their own. Understanding Kashmir’s unique condition, independent India had given the st

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Happy Women's Day

I have had more female colleagues than males in my entire teaching career. Probably why I survived so long in the job. Let me celebrate this Women's Day with them. I haven't been able to get hold of the pics all of them and I express my immense grief on leaving out quite many.  That's my first school where I was a math teacher. You may not recognise me. I'm the second one from left in the last row. This was St Joseph's School, Shillong. I learnt the art of teaching in that school. It was a convent school with only girl students. I still remember a lot of them, my first students. I know I wasn't very kind to them. Math teachers can't be kind - that was what I thought in those days. My own teachers had created that impression in my consciousness and the subconscious as well. All those girls are now mothers and some of them may be grandmothers. Let me tell them that I never meant any harm. I was happy in those days to see them learning math well. Hi, dear ladie