Skip to main content

Most Sacred

 

Salman Rushdie grew up kissing books and bread before he could ever kiss a girl. The writer says that in his essay, ‘Is Nothing Sacred?’. It was a tradition in his household to pick up and kiss any food item or book that was dropped by mistake. “Bread and books: food for the body and food for the soul – what could be more worthy of our respect, and even love?” He asks. What can be more sacred than food and books?

Trust. That is my answer to Rushdie’s question. I hold trust above everything else.

Have you ever noticed that it is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend? That is because the enemy does not betray trust. The friend does. Trust is the very foundation of human relationships. Psychologist Erik Erikson places trust at the threshold of our psychological wellbeing. A person’s whole outlook is determined by the trust she is able to develop as she grows up and that ability to trust is built or crushed in the earliest days of childhood. A baby that receives proper care and tender affection is likely to grow up into a healthy personality while the one who is deprived of it will be fearful, confused and anxious as an adult.

Andrew M Greeley, American sociologist, is of the opinion that “the absence of trust” is “one of the critical problems in society” today. The predominance of prejudice, hatred and war today is due to people’s inability “to trust others and to radiate trust among those with whom (they) interact”.

Just look around at your own acquaintances and friends and tell me how many of them do you really trust? Can you open your heart to any of them? Personally, and rather tragically, my answer is in the negative. I wouldn’t dare to do such a thing as place my trust in any of them. Once bitten twice shy. I was naïve enough to be bitten twice.

I’m not grumbling, however. This is how our world is: fundamentally untrustworthy. If I failed to learn that lesson early enough, it’s my drawback and I can’t blame anyone for that. I deserved to be betrayed, not once but twice. [The second man who betrayed my trust when I was old enough to be wiser appears in my novel, Black Hole, as a character who is a history teacher in contemporary India and who shoves his erect penis into the mouth of one of his students saying, ‘We need to retrieve history from the invaders, boy.’]

There is no bigger harm that you can do to a person than betray his/her trust. When you betray trust, you are shattering the person’s entire universe. When you betray my trust, you make it doubly certain to me of my own worthlessness as a person. Your betrayal remains like a stigma etched indelibly in my soul. I gave you myself and you trashed it. That’s the meaning of betrayal of trust. I am not worth even your basic respect while you meant the world to me.

There are times when words don’t mean a thing. Even deeds don’t. Only feelings do. Broken trust engenders such moments. And feelings can linger like wounds that refuse to heal.

PS. Written for Indispire Edition 378: What is most sacred for you? #Sacred

 

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Yes, indeed, trust - and the breaking of it - is surely one of the key drivers of action and reaction in this world. It is interesting though; having had some serious betrayals myself, my natural instinct is still to trust. There are those who have bandied the term 'naive' in earlier years. They have come to realise that this is not the case. It is purely the determination to not let the b******* grind one down!!! I have also been provided a strong natural radar for where I can direct and to what level place my trust. So three are degrees of trust.

    For myself, I have always been relied upon as one of life's trustworthies. Thus on one occasion where I was accused of a betrayal it mortified me. That was a misguided accusal (complicated - long story), but nonetheless that person truly felt what they felt and that made me feel sick to the centre of my heart.

    People make so much of love, but that itself is nothing without trust. Thanks for this post! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the personal touch to the response. It helps readers to realise that betrayal is not their singular experience.

      No doubt, there are degrees of trust. And there can be no love without trust. How else would the world move on?

      Delete
  2. Well said and well written sir. Trust is different for every person.ones aspect about trust is totally different from the other. our psychological level of thinking is different even for a normal person compared to one who is not.its very difficult to find a person with same wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Authenticity automatically generates trust. The problem with our times perhaps is lack of authenticity.

      Delete
  3. I agree. Broken trust makes you feel worthless as a person. I think it takes courage to trust someone because it puts you in a vulnerable position. It is only natural that the world is fundamentally untrustworthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breaching trust is inviting the albatross on to one's neck. But the ancient mariner's kind of regret has vanished and there are only insensitive people around.

      Delete
  4. Trust is one issue that has been making me think a lot these past couple of tumultuous months. It was good to know that another soul also shares such deep views about this topic. I agree fully with you about trust being the most sacred of all emotions. And alas! Once its broken or even if it is shaken a bit, its very difficult to regain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the