Skip to main content

When the Calendar Goes to the Dump

With my grandniece - the antique and the latest


When the year ends the old calendar goes to the dump and the new one takes its place. The old has to go and make way for the new. This is the law of nature. The new may not always be better than the old, though.

I have witnessed the death of many old entities in my lifetime. The transistor radio, landline phone, VCR, film camera, Bajaj Chetak scooter (ah, my beloved for 16 years) – that list is endless. My list ended with the Chetak because the nostalgia it brings veils out everything else of the old dispensation. That scooter carried Maggie and me for all those years. It was in excellent condition when my government decided that it should die. The law has its own way, as one of the chief ministers of Kerala used to repeat ad nauseam whenever he faced problems. His solution for all political problems was to sweep them under the legal carpet. There the problems will lie for an infinite period. And the calendar will be dumped inevitably again and again and the problems will be wiped out from the public memory. What an ingenious solution! And some good things like Chetak will go the dumps.

Today Maggie and I went places in a Maruti Alto, the Aam Aadmi Car. Our destination today took us by the school where I studied for five years. And the school was/is 4.5 km from home. “We walked all that way in those days. Rugged village path and barefoot students.” Life was hard in that old dispensation. Maggie too belonged to that same dispensation though she was lucky to have had slippers on her feet.

“How fortunate are today’s students!” We both recollect. Today they go to school wearing shoes and sitting in their parents’ own cars. Porch to portico generation. The old died. Is the new better, however?

“Isn’t it?” I ask Maggie. “Who would want to walk barefoot all that distance now?”

Our conversation moves on to the future. “The future belongs to robots,” I say. “There will be no children. Noone will be interested in that sort of entertainment – bringing up children. There will be robots to take care of everything including looking after the elderly. Just imagine having a robot to keep our lemon tea ready in the morning. To clean up the house and surroundings. To do the gardening. To take us to hospital in case we fall sick in the middle of the night. And to massage our legs in the wee hours of the mornings.”

“But there was some sort of goodness in those days which is not found now,” Maggie feels. She is not ready for robots yet.

I nod my head as I drive our Maruti Alto. “If you nod your head in darkness, nobody will see your assent,” Maggie had once told me. But I tend to forget many things nowadays. All my hairs have grown grey. My skin is gathering wrinkles. I can see the stains on my teeth when I try to smile at myself in the mirror. I look like a scarecrow that is outdated.

Back home after the trip, I look at the calendar on my most private wall. [I don’t disfigure my walls with calendars except the one near the bathroom.] That calendar will soon be dumped. The new one is waiting. Both came free from the parish church. Time is also a free gift to us. All Buddhas would have been happier without that gift. No time means no existence means no sorrows.

I am not a Buddha. So I shall wait for that midnight to dump the old calendar and hang the new one. And then look at the mirror just on the other side of the wall and smile at my silver hairs. And wink at the old ghosts that still haunt my sleeps.

And hope for a better year.

Ahead.

Wish you a Happy New Year.

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Remembering earlier years is fine; nostalgia, however, tends to exaggerate effects and distort appreciation of what is present. Neither does too much speculation on possible futures serve us particularly well - unless we are the inventors! The minutes grow less - make each of them count! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the