Skip to main content

To a friend

Vincent van Gogh - self-portrait of a man who suffered much

This post is dedicated to a person who was very dear to me for quite some time. We were good friends. But certain situations affected that friendship adversely. Years later, he contacted me recently. There is a lot of frustration, anger, sadness and rebellion in his psyche, as I sense it.

Dear Friend,

Your present situation grieves me as much as it worries me. I knew you as a benevolent individual who went out of his way to help friends. I received much help from you for many years. You were an inspiration for me in more ways than you might have ever imagined. What happened to our friendship was inevitable to some extent because I was passing through a painful phase of personality deterioration and your efforts to assist turned out to be counterproductive. It was not your fault at all. You meant well, I know. I knew it at that time too but my psychological condition made it impossible for me to continue our friendship. I never carried any ill feeling against you, however. On the contrary, it grieved me much when I heard about your later mishaps. I wished I could help.

That wish has stayed with me to this day. Hence this post. If I write it as a personal message to you, it is likely to jar against certain sensibilities – both yours and mine.

I left the place where we both worked together as a broken man. Utterly broken. I wasn’t sure I would make it any more. I still remember walking from Laxmi Nagar to ITO in Delhi at 4 o’clock in the morning like an insane man with no purpose. Sleep would evade me night after night. The bright street lights of Delhi were the only lights in my life at that time. I saw the poor of Delhi sleeping on the sidewalks. The stray dogs would bark at me but never harmed me for reasons only they knew. Across the Yamuna, the city was very much alive at that early hour. I saw young boys getting the teashops ready, unpacking newspapers for distribution, and doing other odd jobs. Life was a tough battle for so many people. My condition wasn’t too bad, I realised. I decided to pick up the loose threads of my life and weave a fabric once again. And I did make it.

I am totally confident now that anyone can pick up the loose threads and weave a whole fabric at any time. I have seen many people doing it at different stages of their lives. All that is required is an open acceptance of one’s present brokenness. You tell me that you have no regrets though I sense much of it in your words. You tell me that you have no anger though your diction belies it. You remind me of the countless people I have come across who refused to accept their brokenness and instead sought fake ways of getting on in life. Some of them did make it too. But they were not genuinely happy. Their smiles smacked of forgery.

I am genuinely happy. In spite of all the agony I endured along the way. Or probably because of the agonies. I accept my reality. I accept the world’s reality. I accept that the world out there will break us again and again. Some of us are so brittle. Helplessly so. But we can put the pieces together each time. The power to heal lies deep within us. We are the healers. We are the miracle workers. If only we choose to be.

I sense in you a lot of miracles waiting to be released. There is so much love in you that you are suppressing with some intoxicants because you are scared that some people who matter much to you will break you again. Some of them may. Well! But most won’t.

You know Sidney Sheldon. I am not a fan of his, of course. You won’t be either, I’m sure. But that’s not the point. At the age of 17, he attempted suicide. He belonged to an economically backward family. He was working as a delivery boy at a drugstore in Chicago. At 6 o’clock in the evening, the pharmacist called out to young Sheldon, “Closing time.” “He had no idea how right he was,” Sheldon wrote later in his autobiography, The Other Side of Me. “It was time to close out all the things that were wrong with my life.” Sheldon had pilfered sufficient sleeping pills from the pharmacy to kill him.

It was 1934. In Sheldon’s own words, “America was going through a devastating crisis. The stock market had crashed and thousands of banks had failed. Businesses were folding everywhere. More than 13 million people had lost their jobs and were desperate. Wages had plunged to as low as a nickel an hour. A million vagabonds, including 200,000 children, were roaming the country. We were in the grip of a disastrous depression. Former millionaires were committing suicide, and executives were selling apples in the streets.”

Sheldon’s favourite lines, like many others’, were:

Gloomy is Sunday.

With shadows I spend it all.

My heart and I

Have decided to end it all.

At home in the evening, Sheldon picked up a bottle of bourbon from the kitchen and walked to his bedroom. He prepared a drink of whiskey and took out the sleeping pills. He was ready to end it all. Just then the door opened and his father walked in. By pure chance. It changed everything. They had a chat, father and son. Finally father said, “Sidney, you told me that you wanted to be a writer more than anything in the world…. Life is like a novel, isn’t it? It’s filled with suspense. You have no idea what’s going to happen until you turn the page…. Every day is a different page…” Sidney chose to turn the page. And did he discover a whole new reality!

I know that every day can bring a whole new reality if we wish to see it that way. Do you remember that tall wall in Dhanketi beside the Loreto School? For many months, that wall carried a big poster. The inscription in mammoth letters was: MIRACLES HAPPEN EVERY DAY. In those days when we were together and I was going through the deterioration phase, I took that inscription as another quotidian platitude. Eventually, I realised how true it was.

Wish you a miracle tonight. Turn the page, friend.

A related post (though it was not written with the above friend in mind: Chiquitita’s Sorrows.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I won’t vote

From Deshabhimani , Malayalam weekly Exactly a month from today is the Parliamentary election in my state of Kerala. This time, I’m not going to vote. Bernard Shaw defined democracy , with his characteristic cynicism, as “ a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve .” We elect our government in a democracy. And the government invariably sucks our blood – whichever the party is. The BJP and the Congress are like Tweedledum and Tweedledee though the former makes all sorts of other claims day in and day out. BJP = Congress + the holy cow. The holy cow has turned out to be quite a vampire and that makes a difference, no doubt. In our Prime Minister’s algebra, it is: (a+b) 2 which should be equal to a 2 and b 2 . There is an extra 2ab which is the holy cow. In George Orwell’s Animal Farm , the animals revolt against the human master and set up their own nationalist republic. Soon politics develops in the republic and some pigs become leaders. The porcine

Prelude to AtoZ

  From Garden of 5 Senses, Delhi [file pic] Hindsight gives an unearthly charm and order to the past. There can be pain too. A lot of things could have been different, much better, if only we possessed the wisdom of our old age back in those days. As a writer put it, Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear and a lot of those guys must have thought, “I wish I had known this some time ago.” Life is a series of errors with intermittent achievements. The only usefulness of the errors may be the lessons they teach us. Probably, that is their purpose too. We are created to err so that we learn, I dare to put it that way. I turn 64 in a month’s time. It’s not inappropriate to look back at some of the people whom life brought into my life so that I would learn certain lessons. No, I don’t mean to say that life has any such purpose or design or anything. Life is absurd. People come into your life as haphazardly as vehicles ply on your road or birds poop on your head. Some of these people change the chemist

How Arvind Kejriwal can save himself

Narendra Modi and Amit Shah have a clear vision. Eliminate all opposition. Decimate them or absorb them. My previous post [link below] showed a few people decimated by them. Today let’s look at the others: those who are saved by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party [BJP]. 1. Himanta Biswa Sarma  This guy was in Congress and faced serious charges related to the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam. He also faced corruption charges related to drinking water supply in Guwahati. His house was raided by the Central Bureau of Investigation [CBI]. Then he switched over to BJP and all his crimes just vanished. It’s as simple as taking a dip in the Ganga and all your sins are forgiven. Today he is the chief minister of Assam. Nothing is heard of all the charges that were levelled against him. 2. Amarinder Singh  This former Captain in the Indian Army was a Congressman until Modi’s Enforcement Directorate [ED] started raiding him, his son and his son-in-law. He put an end to all those raid

The Good Old World

Book Review Title: Dukhi Dadiba and irony of fate Author: Dadi Edulji Taraporewala Translators: Aban Mukherji and Tulsi Vatsal Publisher: Ratna Books, Delhi, 2023 Pages: 314 If you want to return to the good old days of the late 19 th century, this is an ideal novel for you. This was published originally in Gujarati in 1913. It appeared as a serial before that from 1898 onwards in a periodical. The conflict between good and evil is the dominant motif though there is romance, betrayal, disappointment, regret, and pretty much of traditional morality. Reading this novel is quite like watching an old Bollywood movie, 1960s style. Ardeshir Bahadurshah, a wealthy Parsi aristocrat in Surat, dies having obligated his son Jehangir to find out his long-lost brother Rustom. Rustom was Bahadurshah’s son in his first marriage. The mother died when the boy was too small and the nurse who looked after the child vanished with it one day. Ratanmai, Bahadurshah’s present wife, takes her

Good Friday and Some Arithmetic

Two and two is not always equal to four, my young friend Tony says. 2 + 2 ≠ 4, he reasserts. Tony doesn’t think linearly though his thinking has the precision of mathematical logic. See these two, Tony offers an illustration, Narendra Modi and Amit Shah. Then add another 2 to them, Ambani and Adani. What do you get? I smile in answer. It’s dangerous to answer Tony verbally. Now, Tony continues, let’s take two beggars from the street. And then add you and me, another two, to them. What do you get? Tony goes on with more arithmetic because he thinks I didn’t get it. (Modi + Shah) + (Ambani + Adani) = 4 persons (Beggar 1 + Beggar 2) + (You + I) = 4 persons Is the first 4 equal to the second 4? T oday is Good Friday. Good Fridays are sad because they are about the victory of vicious political power over simple goodness. Just a few days back, on what’s known as Palm Sunday among Christians, Jesus was led like a hero to Jerusalem, a political fulcrum in those days, by a hu