Skip to main content

My blog and 2023

Blogging with Bobs by the side


2023 holds out new promises as I have decided to bid farewell to teaching at the end of the present academic session. There is a saying in Malayalam which means: When the voice is still good, stop singing. Teaching is something that I have enjoyed doing and my students too found my classes stimulating. Not so any more, I feel. There is a lot of change in the attitudes of the post-Covid generation of students. My understanding is that the smartphones have replaced teachers quite effectively in their horizons. At any rate, there is a time for everything, even to stop your regular job.

That means I will have a lot of time at hand. I look forward to a richer 2023. A lot of reading and writing and some travelling. When the pandemic got the students glued to their smartphones, it got me glued to books more than ever. I found myself reading much more and I loved it too. I would like to write more too.

As a teacher I was more of a learner. That was the chief reason of my success in that profession, I believe. Now, as a writer I will be once again a learner more than anything else. We live in a tough world. More than anything else, fraudulence of all types has become rampant. You find Indians ramming patriotism down your throat from their mansions in Hamilton or Ontario. The media tell far more lies than truths. What you hear is not what the speaker means because words don’t carry meanings any more. They carry emotions and motives.

You never know who is on which side. You may wonder which side you are on. It is a perpetual twilight that baffles you with its nondescript shades. Yeats returns from his tomb: “The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity.”

A writer has a lot to learn in such times. I am going to be that learner in 2023. My blog is going to reflect that learning in 2023.

PS. Written for #BlogchatterBlogHop prompt: How do you picture your blogging journey in 2023?

 

Comments

  1. All the best Sir for 2023 and the new innings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There always comes a time for change 😊

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Interesting reflection on your immediate future - and I wish you well in it! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Covid 19 has been a catalyst in a major paradigm alteration. Everything has changed. From patriotism to education. But there's still something, that only a teacher can bring out. But as the saying goes, all beautiful things must come to an end. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best for 2023. We wish to read from your blog in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Geethica. I do look forward to a better existence next year.

      Delete
  5. Excellent article Tom. I have kind of stopped both reading and writing. I am just not able to concentrate much these days. But I am hoping I will be able to get back to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had begun to wonder what happened to you. Hope the ice is melting. Reach out for any support 👍

      Delete
  6. Same situation 😅 got myself glued to writing and reading more than I can I could have imagined. I still plan to do that. Congratulations on your new journey

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is inspirational. Change is always difficult. Happy to know your are going ahead with what you aspired! My Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts