Skip to main content

Digging up the past


Republic Day gave me a holiday after a long time. I used it for cleaning up my personal library. One of the tragic fates of books is they don’t stay with you for long. I lost most of my books because of the changes of my job-places. When I left Shillong in 2001, I left most of my books behind; I sold them to a college library. It wasn’t easy to transport things from the Northeast in those days. Moreover, my psychological condition was worse than my economic condition at that time and I sold whatever I could in order to get away from a place that had become a veritable hell for me.

A few books were carried, however, to Delhi, my new place. I was going to Delhi without any hope. Nobody had offered me any job there. Maggie’s brother was there and he said, “Come if you wish.” He was more than kind. Magnanimous. Probably, he was concerned about his sister.

I couldn’t obviously carry too many things to my brother-in-law’s flat in Delhi. That’s the major reason I got rid of my books. But, as I said earlier, I carried a few which I thought were an inseparable part of me.

Later, in 2015, when I left Delhi I again sold most of my books. But in Delhi I had enough money to transport my belongings to Kerala with the help of a carrier service. The problem, however, was I had no house of my own in Kerala at that time. I had to transport things to my brother’s house until I found a house on rent. Once again, books became a casualty. Most of my books were sold. Again!

The surprise now.

I was cleaning up my bookshelves today when a booklet caught me by surprise. It was the ‘Bi-Decennial Souvenir’ brought out by the Institute of Distance Education, University of Kerala, in 1997. I don’t know why I carried this booklet with me from Shillong to Delhi and then to Kerala and kept it with until now and will keep it still. 

I know, to tell you the truth. I know the reason. In one of its 100-odd pages, it says that I was a topper of the 1991 batch of MA in English from that institute. That record mattered a lot to me especially because Shillong never accepted my credentials for some reason or the other. Shillong thought I was just scum. “So, Tomichan, you admit that you are just muck?” I remember Rev Miranda’s smugness as he put that question to me when I tendered my resignation from his college in March 2015.

No, Reverend, I was not muck. This is the reassurance that the Bi-Decennial Souvenir of the source of my postgraduation has been giving me. That I am not muck. That I was not muck. That’s why this souvenir has travelled with me all these years in spite of the executions that many of my books underwent. 


I was thrilled to find this little souvenir on my bookshelf today as I was cleaning up my personal library. I had been under the impression that I had thrown it away in Delhi.

So? I had a glorious past! Shouldn’t I start digging up the archives and archaeology? Shouldn’t I start reclaiming lost paradises? As my Prime Minister and his supporters are doing.

What actually prompted this post is an article about Modi’s partymen’s intention to reclaim yet another past that died long ago. Can we actually correct the mistakes of the past by repeating those very same mistakes? Modi seems to think he can. He doesn’t realise that he is no better than those silly and savage killers of the past.

My house in Kerala stands on a piece of land I inherited from my father who inherited it from his father who bought it from a Namboothiri family whose house name was the surname by which my family members were known in the village in my childhood. That Namboothiri family’s descendants are now living somewhere in southern Kerala, some 100 km from my village, according to Google. Now, will they, should they, inspired by our PM’s revanchism, come to claim my land? Should they demolish my house saying this land was once theirs?

P K Balakrishnan’s history of Kerala informs me that the Namboothiris came to Kerala only in the 8th or 9th century CE. They knew how to exploit the miserable aboriginal people of the land. They grabbed land and gave new gods in return to the people. They set up a political system based on the Hindu caste system. Namboothiri priests and Nair rulers. It was a ruthless system in which the ordinary people were nothing better than slaves. Today, Modi’s India isn’t very unlike that system. The only difference is that instead of the Brahmin-dominated caste system now it is the corporate-dominated socioeconomic system. Most of us are slaves in that system: we just keep working and paying taxes.

Eventually the Namboothiris and Nairs in Kerala became lazy, says Balakrishnan’s history. They didn’t even know how much land they owned. They never worked on those lands. They abhorred manual labour all of which was done by the lower caste people.

Karma caught up with them, however, in due course of time. That is how they had to sell their lands and depart.

This sort of commerce and conquest are natural in the human world. Because that is how we are: savages at heart. Babur will demolish temples and Modi will demolish mosques. Namboothiris in Kerala can also start digging up the pasts and lay claims to lost lands. It is quite easy now since most youngsters are leaving Kerala and land prices have hit record bottoms in the state. There is no need to fight even. Even I’m ready to sell my property. I don’t mind going and digging up somebody else’s past now.

My House, view from the highway

 

Comments

  1. You moved around a lot. I understand not wanting to carry around so much stuff during that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jobs were hard to come by in my youth, so I went 3000 km from home for my first job! It was much easier finding jobs in Delhi.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    It rather beggers belief... heh na? YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess. My idiosyncrasies made it all too complicated.

      Delete
  3. History is what rulers create. I guess I should also value the minimal number of certificates that I once laminated for preservation. They may one day give me the confidence that I am not the black sheep of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some occasional self-congratulation is needed, I agree.

      Delete
  4. I've started keeping a folder of certificates, screenshots and any odd praise given, because i now know how quick this world is to make us believe otherwise. I'm glad you kept your reminder! also, Your house is nestled in greenery, it must be fun to read in nature's lap~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep them safe, you'll need them along the way.

      I live in a village though a state highway passes through. The greenery is soothing. Those mango trees and cartons in front and along the walls were all planted by me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc