Skip to main content

Silence of the Tombs


Today is Holy Saturday for Christians all over the world. Yesterday was Good Friday which my blog commemorated in a post titled Good Friday and Some Arithmetic. My enduring friend Jose Maliekal commented on the post thus: 

I take Maliekal seriously for many reasons. So I spent some time thinking about Holy Saturday and what descended into my consciousness was a profound silence, the silence of a tomb, a tomb that held the dead body of a young man whose goodness could not survive in the world of powerful people. That is the helplessness of Holy Saturday. True, Easter will follow it. What follows Easter, however, will be yet another religion, its mumbo-jumbo and the inevitable power games. I’d prefer the silence of Holy Saturday.

You’re right, Maliekal, Arikuzha’s nights are silent, eerily so. [For the benefit of other readers, Arikuzha is my village.] I miss the sounds of crickets that used to resound in the nights here until a decade back. Development, Vikas, has driven away even crickets. The butterflies and dragonflies and fireflies, which were in hundreds once upon a time here, have all vanished. Our ‘development’ is their extinction. We have buried them in some tombs never to resurrect.

It rained here yesterday in the evening though for a short while. It was a welcome rain because the temperature was hovering near to 40 degrees Celsius for weeks and even the grass and weeds had begun to wither. As soon as the rain stopped, a bird cried from a tree and I was standing outside my house. No one would have missed the note of joy in the cry of that bird. I wished I could bring more joy into the world of those little creatures. I wondered why we are hellbent on driving out joy from the world. Why do we insist on sending all goodness to some tomb or another?

Holy Saturday does have its trigonometry, Maliekal. When I thought about it, what struck me is the inextricable interrelationship among those ratios. You can never separate sine from cosine from tangent in trigonometry. Trigonometry is essentially about relationships though mathematicians will call them by other names such as ratios. It is certain relationships that they buried on the first Holy Saturday.

We have continued to bury them up to this day. We buried our rainclouds, our forests, our lakes…

You know very well why Bengaluru is a parched city now. Because we buried her lakes long ago and built apartments in their places and called it development. Bengaluru’s engineers boasted about the marvel they had created for bringing the Kaveri’s waters to the city’s skyscrapers. What the engineers failed to understand was the trigonometry of the cosmos, the intertwining dance of ratios. You can’t eliminate sine and retain cosine, you see.

But we did that. Not just in Bengaluru. All over the country. All over the world, in fact. Let me, however, focus on our country which aspires to be the world’s teacher, the Viswa Guru.

Every sixth urban Indian lives in a slum today. We are speaking about a country that is highlighting itself as some trillion-dollar economy. Eleven of our biggest cities have one-third of their population subsisting in the subhuman conditions of filthy slums. Our Prime Minister boasts in a propaganda ad that he is giving free food to over 80 crore citizens. What he is admitting indirectly is that more than half of the Indians are made beggars by him. 

Home in an Indian city


That’s quite true too. Do you know why? Let me give you just an example.

The country’s resources are being sold to one or two individuals part by part. The Singrauli coalfields in Madhya Pradesh and the Hasdeo Arand forests in Chhattisgarh went to a friend of the Prime Minister’s. This friend got many such gifts from the Prime Minister and flourished to become one of the richest men in the world. In the process of making him a trillionaire, thousands of adivasis and forest dwellers lost their homes. Who cares when the country’s economic graphs project high and higher GDPs?

This man, the PM’s friend, gives back to the country a meagre 6% of his profit as revenue while other players in the field are returning as much as 60%. Rungta Sons Pvt Ltd, for example, provides a revenue of 60%, Indermani Mineral Pvt Ltd yields 52%, and the share of Bull Mining Pvt Ltd is 40%. Why does the richest man in the world get away giving a beggarly return of 6%? And where do all those people who survived on the forests go? To pathetic slums! Some trigonometric ratios are not right.

When a few decide to live their life king-size, the others are trampled underfoot. Does anyone hear the cry of those trampled anymore? Those cries are drowned in the noise of slogans and jingles.  

Wild animals have started coming out of the forests in Kerala. In 2022-23, nearly 9000 human-wildlife conflicts occurred in the state. About a hundred people lost their lives. We hear of some wild creature attacking people every day in Kerala now. Ratios gone wrong, again, is the reason. We haven’t respected certain relationships. We have sent too many relationships to their tombs. Maybe, this Easter, we can think of really resurrecting those relationships.

Let me end this with an old video that speaks more eloquently even today than the rhetoric of the Viswa Guru. Gaon Chodab Nahin...




Top post on Blogchatter

Comments

  1. Thanks, Tomichan. For the Trigonometry of the Holy Saturday. I have read it, taking a break from my Holy Saturday Morning Walk. Great read, where poetry and statistics, not adulatory, but prophetic and pro-poor have blended in ratios, in equilibrium and dynamic tension! Of course, Holy Saturday's Silence is not just of the tomb, but of a Womb, and Pregnant... Knocking at the iron gates of Hell, to free long-held captives, from Adam to Abraham, Eve to every woman, Missing in Lakhs, in Mody's Trillion Dollar Bharath. Holy Saturday's Womb Silence is that which gave rise to the Jesus Movement of the Prostitutes, Publicans and Porters, which took on the might of the Roman Empire. If the Movement has frozen itself into a stagnant and stagnating Monolith, it is the Opium Effect. But Holy Saturday and its WombTomb Trigonometry has a chilly in it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Maliekal. Your way of looking at Jesus and what came after him will certainly be different from mine. What went wrong with the Church after it successfully took on the might of the Roman Empire is precisely what went wrong with the Russian Revolution and the French Revolution. History repeated itself. The oppressed became the oppressor.

      My arithmetic and trigonometry and poetry and the rest of it are kind of opium only. I know. I wish I could do more.

      Delete
  2. I like your insightful conceptualisation of present dis-balance in the society and how middle class people are regular tax payer while the elite still enjoying without anything to expend. I liked the way you connected it with the tomb. Your trigonometry worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a million things that I'd like to say when it comes to topics like this... So it becomes a kind of kitchdi.

      Delete
  3. Hari Om
    You have filled an almost ignored day with meaning and value... Thanks to your friend for making you think!

    I may be missing again for a few days as am moving into remote territory today... but know that I will be reading 🧐. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go on, dear friend. I'm also learning much from your trips.

      Delete
  4. Man is digging his own grave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day for silence, indeed. And now ratio has a new meaning: it's what happens to someone on social media when the comments are going against them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An eye opening blog. Will the opiated masses awaken to the trigonometric realities?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc