Skip to main content

The God that Failed

 


Jacob, one of the biblical patriarchs, is forced to flee home in order to escape the wrath of his brother Esau whom he cheated rather meanly with ample assistance from his mother. Jacob finds shelter at his uncle Laban’s house where he falls in love with Rachel, Laban’s daughter. Laban promises to give his daughter in marriage to Jacob in return for 7 years’ of labour. Love can make you do anything, even embrace a 7-year slavery. At the end of the seven years, Laban cheats Jacob. The bride was led to Jacob’s dark tent in the night as was the custom. The marriage was consummated in the fire of a passion that had burnt for seven years. It is only in the light of the morning that Jacob realises the deception perpetrated by his uncle: he was given the ugly Leah instead of the beautiful Rachel.

Laban makes Jacob work for him for another seven years in order to marry his real love, Rachel. Referring to this grim episode from the holy book, Arthur Koestler wrote: “I wonder whether he (Jacob) ever recovered from the shock of having slept with an illusion. I wonder whether afterwards he believed that he had ever believed in it.”

Koestler was making a comparison of his love affair with Communism. In Communism he had embraced a gigantic illusion.

I was reminded of Koestler’s comparison after attending an online meeting on Saturday [Independence Day] evening. I had spent ten years of my youth with a religious congregation to which my spirit could never have belonged. Yet I went on to embrace that illusion for ten years. Like Koestler and his Jacob, I wondered afterwards again and again whether I believed that I had ever believed in what the congregation stood for.


That is why I refused to attend the preliminary meetings called by the congregation. It was supposed to be for the release of a book that they had compiled with chapters written on the theme of mother by various contributors including yours humbly. I ignored both the calls for preliminary meetings. Finally I was cajoled into joining the final, actual meeting in which the book was released.

The programme started with a prayer. An introductory talk. Then prayer. Another prayer. Yet another. I began to wonder whether I was invited to a typical prayer service of the congregation which I was familiar with in my days of Jacobian illusion. I felt nauseated and expressed my dislike soon after the function as a note in the WhatsApp group formed for the only purpose of this book release. I quit the group instantly too.

Allow me to fall back on Koestler a while yet. The same essay mentioned above. It is the first essay in an anthology titled The God That Failed. The failed God in the book is Communism. Koestler begins his essay by asserting that faith cannot be acquired by reasoning. Faith is similar to falling in love. It is a commitment that arises as a natural response to a psychological need. No one can force it upon anyone.

I can’t accept religious faith which I have come to see as nothing more than an illusion, however comforting that illusion may be. Koestler would say that I am a misfit from a psychological point of view. Anyone who revolts against systems accepted by the majority is a misfit. I am a misfit, I accept. I can’t help it. I can only request my self-appointed friends and well-wishers to leave me alone in this regard.

I have to live my life. I have no choice. I cannot capitulate myself to what my heart can only perceive as illusions.

Koestler’s failed God is Communism. Mine is what most people around me believe is the real God: a grand old man sitting up in a place called Heaven with a vengeance that is gathering momentum day by day and moving like a juggernaut toward the final Armageddon. He makes me smile in pity.

Comments

  1. Yes sir, we all have to live our lives on this earth granted for only once.
    But whether one believes or not, there is another life after death.
    Many who don't believe in the 'eternal life' have started believing in it after watching the NDE of many people including noted atheists...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How reliable are NDEs? Can't they be psychological illusions? How can a Christian hear Hosanna and a Hindu hear Om in NDEs? Are there religions in heaven too?

      Delete
  2. Jacob had six sons and one daughter from Leah. He accepted her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My plain argument has always been 'why not'. Why not allow people to believe and to not believe, to accept and to not accept, to be and to not be. There would be no misfits if we didn't curb the freedom to be different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is the sanest attitude when it comes to religion. I have been unfortunate to have too many people in my life who took voyeuristic pleasure in peeping into the nudity of my soul. If they had left me alone, I wouldnt have ended up abhorring religion so much.

      Delete
  4. Religion is market economy of illusions....gods are the Shylock...am happy to be misfit like you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacob by impersonating Esau had cheated his father Isaac and got the blessing meant for Esau.  Isaac’s grief was incomparable when he came to know of the trick.  Jacob got Rachel after a week.  Blessing meant for Esau was gone. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the

Thomas the Saint

AI-generated image His full name was Thomas Augustine. He was a Catholic priest. I knew him for a rather short period of my life. When I lived one whole year in the same institution with him, I was just 15 years old. I was a trainee for priesthood and he was many years my senior. We both lived in Don Bosco school and seminary at a place called Tirupattur in Tamil Nadu. He was in charge of a group of boys like me. Thomas had little to do with me directly as I was under the care of another in-charge. But his self-effacing ways and angelic smile drew me to him. He was a living saint all the years I knew him later. When he became a priest and was in charge of a section of a Don Bosco institution in Kochi, I met him again and his ways hadn’t changed an iota. You’d think he was a reincarnation of Jesus if you met him personally. You won’t be able to meet him anymore. He passed away a few years ago. One of the persons whom I won’t ever forget, can’t forget as long as the neurons continu

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts