Skip to main content

Back to School

 

With some students 

The other day I was walking from a shop to my car that was in the parking lot when a group of young girls waved at me from the roadside where they were waiting for a bus. They and I were wearing the pandemic masks like everyone else in the public spaces of Kerala. The masks steal people’s identity. At first I thought the girls were waving at somebody else. As I approached them, they greeted me and I knew they were my students. But I couldn’t recognise even one of them. I had never seen them in real life. The classes have all been online so far. I loved the sparkle in their eyes.

On November 1, Kerala’s birthday, the schools in the state are set to reopen at least partly and with a lot of restrictions and precautions. I’ll be delighted to meet my students in person. A year and a half of online teaching has been an agony without even a shade of any ecstasy. You never know whether you are talking to real people at all. More often than not, there is no response when you call out names. Online examinations have been big disappointments. Worst of all, there was practically no interaction in the class. It was a monologue with me doing all the talking and silence booming when I seek responses.

My students belong to the middle class mostly and hence they could afford to attend the online classes. They possessed the technology required. If they did not make use of the technology properly, it’s their fault. Many must have found the temptation to play online games during class hours irresistible. Many were candid enough to admit that when I engaged in casual conversations with them occasionally.

There were many other students who just couldn’t access the technology. According to a UNO report, as many as 140 crore students from 125 countries were affected adversely by the pandemic. They couldn’t attend classes regularly because they just didn’t have the means. Most of these students belong to Africa and South Asia (including India).

It will be a big challenge for teachers to pick up from where their students are. First of all, teachers will need to find out where their students are. Their brilliant performances in online assessments may turn out to be mirages. Their intellectual potentials might be captive to online games. [Many of my grade eleven students argued in favour of online games when I asked them to speak one minute each on certain topics. They admitted that they spend immense time on those games which, they argued, improved their intellectual and instinctive and other forms of ‘smartness’.] Moreover, they may have to be taught certain social skills from the scratch. It will be quite a challenge for the teachers.

Online education may hold out some benefits, on the other hand. Students as well as teachers have become more familiar with the digital technology and its multifarious uses. Now this technology can be put to great use in the real classroom work too. It’s not necessary to follow the traditional teaching methods anymore since a lot of such work can be assigned through Google classroom and other platforms and the time gained can be employed for better purposes.

Flipped learning is a concept that was mooted about two decades before Covid-19 shut down schools. It seeks to engage the students more actively through group work, research and student presentations. Students can do research using online material and make presentations in the class. Learning will become really student-centred. The teacher becomes a facilitator instead of the traditional pedagogue. Most importantly, each student will have the opportunity to scale the peaks he/she is capable of.

I look forward to Nov 1 with a lot of enthusiasm. I hope my students will share my enthusiasm. The sparkle in the eyes of the girls I met the other day on the roadside warms the cockles of my heart.

A former student visited us the other day - lot of cheers


x

Comments

  1. Hari OM
    Oh I do you wish you and all your students all the very best for bringing things together. What you say is so true and there is defintiely going to be a generation of people for whom the COVID effects will be further reaching than the disease itself. Education really does now need to become flexible and adaptive. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be quite challenging for schools. But I'm sure human systems are so resilient that we will bounce back again.

      Delete
  2. Online classes are really tiring but I do hope my juniors realise what they're missing out in the name of online games. There is no better time than the school days. I couldn't be more blessed to have Tomichan sir as my teacher.
    - An ex-student who miss your classes very badly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that schools reopen. It has been a tough time for most students. While most could attend online classes they missed interaction with teachers, fellow students and extra-curricular activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last year or so has been tough on our education system, I can image the loss it must have done to the school going children. I really hope the situation normalises as soon as possible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share that hope. Youngsters can spring surprises at any time.

      Delete
  5. It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info. I’m happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing! Best ncert online classes service provider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing superb informations. I’m impressed by the details that you’ve on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles.Please visit my web site hbpublications.com. Best Finance Ebooks Uk service provider.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your insightful blog post about preschool it is really very informative, thanks for sharing this with us.
    Best preschool in Noida
    Best preschools on Bangaluru
    Best preschools in Chennai

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Randeep the melody

Many people in this pic have made their presence in this A2Z series A phone call came from an unknown number the other day. “Is it okay to talk to you now, Sir?” The caller asked. The typical start of a conversation by an influencer. “What’s it about?” My usual response looking forward to something like: “I am so-and-so from such-and-such business firm…” And I would cut the call. But there was a surprise this time. “I am Randeep…” I recognised him instantly. His voice rang like a gentle music in my heart. Randeep was a student from the last class 12 batch of Sawan. One of my favourites. He is unforgettable. Both Maggie and I taught him at Sawan where he was a student from class 4 to 12. Nine years in a residential school create deep bonds between people, even between staff and students. Randeep was an ideal student. Good at everything yet very humble and spontaneous. He was a top sportsman and a prefect with eminent leadership. He had certain peculiar problems with academics. Ans

Queen of Religion

She looked like Queen Victoria in the latter’s youth but with a snow-white head. She was slim, fair and graceful. She always smiled but the smile had no life. Someone on the campus described it as a “plastic smile.” She was charming by physical appearance. Soon all of us on the Sawan school campus would realise how deceptive appearances were. Queen took over the administration of Sawan school on behalf of her religious cult RSSB [Radha Soami Satsang Beas]. A lot was said about RSSB in the previous post. Its godman Gurinder Singh Dhillon is now 70 years old. I don’t know whether age has mellowed his lust for land and wealth. Even at the age of 64, he was embroiled in a financial scam that led to the fall of two colossal business enterprises, Fortis Healthcare and Religare finance. That was just a couple of years after he had succeeded in making Sawan school vanish without a trace from Delhi which he did for the sake of adding the school’s twenty-odd acres of land to his existing hun

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

Pranita a perverted genius

Bulldozer begins its work at Sawan Pranita was a perverted genius. She had Machiavelli’s brain, Octavian’s relentlessness, and Levin’s intellectual calibre. She could have worked wonders if she wanted. She could have created a beautiful world around her. She had the potential. Yet she chose to be a ruthless exterminator. She came to Sawan Public School just to kill it. A religious cult called Radha Soami Satsang Beas [RSSB] had taken over the school from its owner who had never visited the school for over 20 years. This owner, a prominent entrepreneur with a gargantuan ego, had come to the conclusion that the morality of the school’s staff was deviating from the wavelengths determined by him. Moreover, his one foot was inching towards the grave. I was also told that there were some domestic noises which were grating against his patriarchal sensibilities. One holy solution for all these was to hand over the school and its enormous campus (nearly 20 acres of land on the outskirts

Sanjay and other loyalists

AI-generated illustration Some people, especially those in politics, behave as if they are too great to have any contact with the ordinary folk. And they can get on with whoever comes to power on top irrespective of their ideologies and principles. Sanjay was one such person. He occupied some high places in Sawan school [see previous posts, especially P and Q ] merely because he knew how to play his cards more dexterously than ordinary politicians. Whoever came as principal, Sanjay would be there in the elite circle. He seemed to hold most people in contempt. His respect was reserved for the gentry. I belonged to the margins of Sawan society, in Sanjay’s assessment. So we hardly talked to each other. Looking back, I find it quite ludicrous to realise that Sanjay and I lived on the same campus 24x7 for a decade and a half without ever talking to each other except for official purposes.      Towards the end of our coexistence, Sawan had become a veritable hell. Power supply to the