Skip to main content

Octlantis


I was reading an essay on octopuses when friend John walked in. When he is bored of his usual activities – babysitting and gardening – he would come over. Politics was the favourite concern of our conversations. We discussed politics so earnestly that any observer might think that we were running the world through the politicians quite like the gods running it through their devotees.

“Octopuses are quite queer creatures,” I said. The essay I was reading had got all my attention. Moreover, I was getting bored of politics which is irredeemable anyway.

“They have too many brains and a lot of hearts.”

“That’s queer indeed,” John agreed.

“Each arm has a mind of its own. Two-thirds of an octopus’s neurons are found in their arms. The arms can taste, touch, feel and act on their own without any input from the brain.”

“They are quite like our politicians,” John observed. Everything is linked to politics in John’s mind. I was impressed with his analogy, however.

“Perhaps, you’re right, John,” I said. “Our politicians seem to have more brain in their posteriors.” But I didn’t want the conversation to be swallowed by politicians anymore. They are swallowing the country. We should save our conversations from them.

“You said they have a lot of heart too?” John asked.

“Yeah, every octopus has three hearts; two for pumping blood to their gills and one for keeping the circulation flowing to the organs. And the most curious thing, perhaps, is the colour of their blood.”

“Saffron?” John snickered. One of his problems with contemporary politics was its dominant and domineering colour.

“Blue!” I said.

“What! Octopuses are blue-blooded creatures! Then they must be quite nasty too.”

“They are!”

“Don’t tell me! I was just joking.”

“But they are, John. They are indeed nasty. They are quite selfish, greedy and very much antisocial.”

“Are you sure you aren’t talking about human beings?”

I tell John about a particular type of octopuses found in the seas of Australia and New Zealand. They are known as gloomy octopuses. They are very solitary, living lives confined to their own protected hide-outs like caves. They are so antisocial that they can hurl missiles at others who approach them.

“Missile?” John is baffled.

“They convert discarded shells, silt, and other things lying around into missiles by shooting them with the help of their siphon, the organ for propelling themselves. There are two areas off Australia and New Zealand where such octopuses live together and yet separate: Octopolis and Octlantis.”

“Octlantis,” John was struck by that name. “Sounds like Antilia.”

I ignored the insinuation. “The only purpose of the existence of an octopus seems to be reproduction. The male dies a few weeks or months after mating. The female lays as many as 400,000 eggs and protects those with her whole life. She too dies shortly after the hatching of the eggs.”

John sat thinking for a while. Then he said, “The octopuses’ life is as absurd as ours!”

PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Nineteen Eighty-Four

Coming up next: Palimpsest

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Octopuses are a type of molluscs, they come under the category of molluscum and these species have haemocoele ( their blood) which is blue. Much like arthropods like lobsters prawns and crabs. Also, i too refuse to waste my time on our politicians!
    www.docdivatraveller.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    😊 a fun post; loved the breaking away (mostly) from the politics! I am fascinated by octopuses having seen several documentaries on them. They are credited with some degree of intelligence - though I have never truly understood by what measure! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Octopuses terrify me even in movies. I haven't seen any real one. They fascinate me at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Very nicely presented. Made a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting post. Glad to have learnt so much about the Octopus.So blue blood is not only restricted to our royals.😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from Idaho, stop in from Liz. I find Octopus amazing. I think of them as multipotentialite.
    If you have time stop in for a cup coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you dropped in. I'll stop for the coffee too. 👍

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the post and learnt a lot:) Thank you.
    I'd recommend the documentary 'My Octopus Teacher' if you haven't watched it already.
    It's beautifully filmed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very apt comparison between our politicians and Octopuses. I did not know Octopuses are such complicated creatures. Blue blood! And three brains! I would request the Octopuses to lend a few to our politicians...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Thank heavens that our politicians have no time or inclination to learn about these creatures. Otherwise they would put taxes and cess on the brains and hearts.

      Delete
  8. Octopuses...some how they keep appearing in my life. I once ate one and well it was nothing to write home about but then i found out they feel so much pain and i was disgusted with myself for it. Then i watched the documentary "My Octopus Teacher" and it was enlightening. And just googled the gloomy octopus..they're kind of cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the second person to mention Octopus Teacher, I must watch it.

      Yes, the gloomy octopuses are charming in their own ways.

      Delete
  9. Did know of their brains and heart and blue blood all thanks to my daughter who reads trivia if i may say . And reading the comments My Octopus teacher is what i will be watching too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, children know more about the fascinating world down there in the oceans. Have a nice time with the documentary.

      Delete
  10. I was reading and chuckling Sir, you try to direct the post away from politics and yet, somehow it still there no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is there, Harshita. I can't get away from it. Unfortunately, it is going to return with a bang tomorrow. :(

      Delete
  11. This was an interesting and enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is loaded with information and at some places I couldn't stop laughing especially when you countered John !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politics has become a joke in our country now 😊

      Delete
  13. Octopuses are so fascinating. You could spend hours on them, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absurd, yet existential. I, too, refuse to be swallowed by politics and politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I didn't know that octopuses have multiple hearts and brains. This is a new info. As you said how absurd each creature's life is

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was an interesting take on octopuses and politicians! Informative and satirical! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a