Skip to main content

Spirituality

A church in Kottayam, Kerala


Frederick Douglas was a slave in in the 19th century America. After emancipation, he wrote a book titled Narrative (1845) in which he mentions his master’s spirituality. His master experienced a religious transformation at a Methodist revival programme. Douglas naturally thought that his master would become a kind and magnanimous person after his religious transformation. What good is religion and spirituality if they don’t make you at least a person with basic human kindness? Douglas found, however, that his master became “more cruel and hateful in all his ways.”

We are living in a time when a lot of atrocities are being perpetrated in the name of gods and religions. Don’t they make you wonder what good religion is, gods are, if they bring more agony and evil into our world? I gave up religion long ago precisely because of this problem. I noticed that religions bring more evil into the human affairs than anything else – with the exception of politics, maybe. (Politics and religion go hand in hand and so the distinction is not worth making.)

Just have a glance at what Hinduism did to its widows, low caste and casteless people, young girls who were dedicated to the temple in the name of the devadasi system, and so on. What did Christianity do to millions of people who were labelled as heretics in the medieval period? What is Islam doing in the name of jihad?

If you still think that these religions are going to save humankind, well, what can I say?

Long ago, I lost faith in gods and their religions. But spirituality is a different matter. I stand in awe at the sight of a flower that blooms in my garden pot. When the scent of jasmines waft in the evenings into my living room. When I think of the billions of galaxies out there each of which has billions of stars and planets and other celestial bodies. Mountains and rivers make me gasp in wonder. I think that wonder, that awe, is spirituality.

Spirituality is a particular kind of relationship with your reality. It is a way of experiencing reality. A non-intellectual way, I’d say. You don’t sit and think intellectually about the majesty or beauty or any other quality of the reality. You just feel it. You experience it somewhere within you and it makes you gentle, kind, noble.

Many eminent people have described spiritual experience as moments of “heightened aliveness.” You feel most intensely alive in those moments. Psychologist Abraham Maslow called it peak experience which he described as “moments of pure joy and elation.” Many others who have studied this in great detail have described it in similar terms. For example: “Peak experiences involve a heightened sense of wonder, awe, or ecstasy over an experience” [G Privette]. “A highly valued experience which is characterised by such intensity of perception, depth of feeling, or sense of profound significance…” [D Leach]

Privette identifies three salient characteristics of peak experiences:

1.     Fulfilment: peak experiences generate positive emotions and are intrinsically rewarding.

2.     Significance: Peak experiences lead to an increase in personal awareness and understanding and can serve as a turning point in a person’s life.

3.     Spiritual: During a peak experience, people feel at one with the world and often experience a sense of losing track of time.

I don’t want to make this post technical and jargonish. In simple words, spirituality is your personal experience. It transforms you into a good individual. It makes you see good around and do good to others. It gives you the feeling that you are one with the whole reality around you.

You can identify a spiritual person by the serene happiness he/she enjoys in life. 


PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Rand’s Dreams

Coming up tomorrow: Talisman

Comments

  1. I feel exactly the same, religion is a jail, spirituality is freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many people mistake religion for spirituality and thus create problems.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hmm. But the post doesn't seem to be striking a chord!

      Delete
  3. It amazing what people do under the name of religion.
    I look up the word narrative, and I was surprised it came up as a genre.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Religion hasn't had an encouraging history at any time. Yet it wields tremendous power over people. Narratives!

      Delete
  4. Wonderfully penned. Wish religions of the world would actually follow their own tenants and realise their folly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History shows that yours and mine is an unrealistic dream.

      Delete
  5. People are enamoured with religion because its so convenient. Just pray away. Pray away your problems, ask to be saved. Chant hymns in praise, be a sycophant and of course you will be saved! Offer sticks and rice to statues, paintings and you will be saved! Its the easier path than looking inside correcting our behaviour. Its so much easier than being kind- just live in a bubble. If everyone just PRAYS....everyone will be okay. so no need to be decent to each other! Its a lazy path offered by equally lazy people. All of us beware of Religion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People always choose the easy way. So there will be no escape from religion.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a