Skip to main content

Rand’s Dreams

Rand on my shelf


Ayn Rand is a writer who enchanted millions of young people in the second half of the 20th century. I was one of those millions. My first encounter with Rand was utterly casual. I was travelling back to Shillong from Kerala after the winter vacation. A friend who was on the train was reading The Fountainhead. When he went to sleep after lunch, I picked up the book and read a few pages. I was enchanted. Howard Roark, the hero of that novel, was my kind of the ideal man in those days. He would have had similar effect on a lot of young people in those days, I’m sure. Roark is a genius who is condemned to be an outsider by the society’s ineluctable mediocrity.

Roark remains outside the social conventions. He refuses to be moulded by the normal social forces. He makes his own choices which determine his life. He is his own man. And a defiant one too. I loved him. I was in my 20s.

I continued to read the novel whenever my friend was not reading it. By the time the train reached Guwahati – it was a journey that lasted over 80 hours in those days; no better today, I’m sure – I had read a substantial part of the book and my friend had finished it. He lent it to me to my great delight.

The book got me hooked to Rand. I borrowed whatever books of hers were there in the State Central Library of Shillong. I couldn’t find a copy of Atlas Shrugged and so I bought a personal copy which still remains on my bookshelf. Atlas Shrugged was her last and arguably the best novel. John Galt became my ideal man for quite a while. The man who refuses to make compromises with the society and its mediocre ways with everything including its hypocritical morality. The man who creates an alternative world altogether, a utopia where only people with exceptional qualities are allowed.

Ayn Rand was a kind of Messiah for me in those days. I was young and foolish. And with some idealistic dreams too. Rand’s novels carried her philosophy unabashedly. Her characters preached her philosophy one way or the other: the heroes proclaimed it openly even in homily-like orations. Her villains showed the evil of all other worlds – other than what Rand believed to be good. I became Rand’s diehard fan. I quoted her off and on. I urged all my friends to read Rand. I thought I had found my Messiah.

But my admiration for Rand didn’t last beyond my thirties. The harsh realities of the actual world hit me hard from all sides. Howard Roark and John Galt belong to novels, I realised. They could have belonged to the Bible. They don’t belong to my world. Not yours either. Not any real person’s.

It’s all very nice to listen to a character declaiming: “Tell man that he must live for others… Not a single one of them has ever achieved it and not a single one ever will. His every living impulse screams against it. But don’t you see what you accomplish? … He’ll obey… Use big vague words. ‘Universal Harmony’ – ‘Eternal Spirit’ – ‘Divine Purpose’ – ‘Nirvana’ – ‘Paradise’ – ‘The Dictatorship of the Proletariat’.”

Such eloquence hits you somewhere whether you are a humanist or communist, Hindu or Christian, whatever.

Another sample: “Whenever anyone accuses some person of being ‘unfeeling,’ he means that the person is just. He means that that person has no causeless emotions and will not grant him a feeling which he does not deserve. He means that ‘to feel’ is to go against reason, against moral values, against reality.”  For Rand, reason and emotion were not antithetical to each other; they were complementary. Her heroes had the best of reason and the best of emotions. They were perfect blends of the body and the mind.

Who wouldn’t love such heroes? I did. They haunted my dreams.

But for a short period. Rand’s dreams are too sweet to be real. I knew that her mediocre characters with all their greed and envy and meanness were the real people. I was one of those real people too. I still am. I shelved Rand long ago. I don’t think I will ever read her again. But I admire her. 


PS. This post is part of #BlogchatterA2Z 2023

Previous Post: Quintin Matsys

Coming up tomorrow: Spirituality

Comments

  1. As far as the themes and Rand's philosophy are concerned I have lost faith in them. I have come to believe and I think rightly so that the world Rand envisages are not possible within the constraints we labour under. But as far as the charm of the books are concerned I do read portions of the books even now. I like the way she argues her philosophy through her characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just how I feel too. But i keep admiring her, however.

      Delete
  2. I really like it when you say I was young and foolish and believed Rand. Don't we all do that when we are naive and young? I guess that's what the writers of this genre make money of😁 I am glad I am mature now but I do miss my days of innocence. Minimal responsibilities and the privilege of day dreaming while reading books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, what makes life beautiful is the innocence of the childhood and the idealism of the youth.

      Delete
  3. I guess she knew it wasn't possible in real life so she poured it in fiction. I like the title of the post, very apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rand really wanted to materialise her dreams. She founded a society for that. I like her for all that. She was an incorrigible optimist.

      Delete
  4. World reality is different from fictional realm. It will take time to grasp the things. The same story with me, with Ayan Rand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rand must have left a lot of people disillusioned. Yet i admire her 😊

      Delete
  5. I loved how you reflected upon your own younger self through the author's work! Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain authors influence us so heavily in our youth!

      Delete
  6. Hari OM
    I have succeeded in never reading anything of Rand - the philsophy Objectivism that arose directly from her writing never held appeal... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's about our upbringing and the sociocultural environment too.

      Delete
  7. Was a great fan too. read all her books including her 'The virtue of selfishness'. Now her work is up there with all other mythologies 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this has happened to many, this enchantment and subsequent disillusionment.

      Delete
  8. I remember reading Rand when I was a naive seventeeen year old because my elder sister had read and raved about it. I also raved, but only to follow the crowd, I never understood the books at that time, maybe because I was too young to comprehend what I was reading. Somehow never got around to going back to the books later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youth loved her in those days. But the present youth are not likely to be enamoured of her.

      Delete
  9. A very interesting perspective on Rand's philosophy. I remember being 20 and falling in love with her simple philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's yet another testimony to Rand's charm on youth.

      Delete
  10. Never read anything of Rand. But if you read it today. How would see it? I have friend every decade of her life she reads, The Good Earth. By Pearl Buck. Every time she has an different look on.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearl Buck can keep inspiring with every rereading.

      Delete
  11. I read Rand many moons back. But I don't remember the books much except for the idealism. I do plan to read them again, to refresh myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best. I'd be interested to know whether you still like Rand.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed The Fountainhead when I was younger. My philosophy is that there is a certain age to enjoy certain books. Maybe that is what put you off Rand later in life. I still like her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, there's a certain age for certain authors. Only geniuses can appeal to everyone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yesterday

With students of Carmel Margaret, are you grieving / Over Goldengrove unleaving…? It was one of my first days in the eleventh class of Carmel Public School in Kerala, the last school of my teaching career. One girl, whose name was not Margaret, was in the class looking extremely melancholy. I had noticed her for a few days. I didn’t know how to put the matter over to her. I had already told the students that a smiling face was a rule in the English class. Since Margaret didn’t comply, I chose to drag Hopkins in. I replaced the name of Margaret with the girl’s actual name, however, when I quoted the lines. Margaret is a little girl in the Hopkins poem. Looking at autumn’s falling leaves, Margaret is saddened by the fact of life’s inevitable degeneration. The leaves have to turn yellow and eventually fall. And decay. The poet tells her that she has no choice but accept certain inevitabilities of life. Sorrow is our legacy, Margaret , I said to Margaret’s alter ego in my class. Let

The Adventures of Toto as a comic strip

  'The Adventures of Toto' is an amusing story by Ruskin Bond. It is prescribed as a lesson in CBSE's English course for class 9. Maggie asked her students to do a project on some of the lessons and Femi George's work is what I would like to present here. Femi converted the story into a beautiful comic strip. Her work will speak for itself and let me present it below.  Femi George Student of Carmel Public School, Vazhakulam, Kerala Similar post: The Little Girl

William and the autumn of life

William and I were together only for one year, but our friendship has grown stronger year after year. The duration of that friendship is going to hit half a century. In the meanwhile both he and I changed many places. William was in Kerala when I was in Shillong. He was in Ireland when I was in Delhi. Now I am in Kerala where William is planning to migrate back. We were both novices of a religious congregation for one year at Kotagiri in Tamil Nadu. He was older than me by a few years and far more mature too. But we shared a cordial rapport which kept us in touch though we went in unexpected directions later. William’s conversations had the same pattern back then and now too. I’d call it Socratic. He questions a lot of things that you say with the intention of getting to the depth of the matter. The last conversation I had with him was when I decided to stop teaching. I mention this as an example of my conversations with William. “You are a good teacher. Why do you want to stop

Uriel the gargoyle-maker

Uriel was a multifaceted personality. He could stab with words, sting like Mike Tyson, and distort reality charmingly with the precision of a gifted cartoonist. He was sedate now and passionate the next moment. He could don the mantle of a carpenter, a plumber, or a mechanic, as situation demanded. He ran a school in Shillong in those days when I was there. That’s how I landed in the magic circle of his friendship. He made me a gargoyle. Gradually. When the refined side of human civilisation shaped magnificent castles and cathedrals, the darker side of the same homo sapiens gave birth to gargoyles. These grotesque shapes were erected on those beautiful works of architecture as if to prove that there is no human genius without a dash of perversion. In many parts of India, some such repulsive shape is placed in a prominent place of great edifices with the intention of warding off evil or, more commonly, the evil eye. I was Uriel’s gargoyle for warding off the evil eye from his sc

Victor the angel

When Victor visited us in Delhi Victor and I were undergraduate classmates at St Albert’s College, Kochi. I was a student for priesthood then and Victor was just another of the many ordinary lay students. We were majoring in mathematics with physics and statistics as our optionals. Today Victor is a theologian with a doctorate in biblical studies and is a member of the Pontifical Biblical Commission in the Vatican. And I have given up religion for all practical purposes. Victor and I travelled in opposing directions after our graduation. But we have remained friends notwithstanding our religious differences. Victor had very friendly relationships with some of the teachers in college and it became very helpful for me towards the end of my three-year study there when I had quit the pursuit of priesthood. The final exams approached and I needed a convenient accommodation near college. An inexpensive and quiet place was what I wanted during the period of the university exams. “What a